XFX has screwed me over...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Datagg3, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    PEBKAC you mean?

2. Sencapri

Sencapri Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465 1GB
    datagg3, did you ever look up bsod error? if the error is all zeros then it can be anything in your rig that may be faulty. Check and see if you can apply new bios on the card. Take off the cooler and check if there is a sufficient amount of thermal compound on the card. hopefully you can find a fix :nerd: or get it repaired by :puke2: XFX.

3. spleended

spleended Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi XFX HD4870 512mb

Man dont be a smartass,electronics and mechanics are two different things... :puke2:

4. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    I guess some noobs trying to be hip with nerdspeak have been changing it from problem to error. Not the first time Ive seen some moron say it that way. I cant believe how many dicks came out to post undeserved negative crap on this thread aimed at the OP. You'd think they would have better threads to troll.

5. Kerrma

Kerrma New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 512 sli
    Your gpu might be unstable due to your power supply. I remember that some psu s had problems due to some built in power saving feature don t know about yours but check it out.

6. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    I work in the automotive service industry too, and the absolute worst problems are intermittent electrical problems. You could spend 3 days trying to replicate the concern and get nothing.

One guy I can think of has been coming back for 2 years for the same intermittent problem. We sent him to different shops, and no-one can replicate the concern. Although I have no doubt he is telling the truth and there is a problem, you can't fix what you can't find. And I'm not spending out of my own pocket to fix his problem, because the manufacturer will not authorize expensive repairs if there's no reproduce-able concern. We've already eaten more than our fair share of tech-time.

Unfortunately, if you can't replicate the concern, you can't fix it. And it makes no business sense to replace parts because someone says they have a problem.

Unfortunately your caught in the warranty run-around and there is nothing you can do about it. The manufacturer will not replace anything unless they can duplicate the concern. Also, they can not spend hours and hours, maybe days of paid technician time to try and fault a $600.00 part. And they also will not replace it on your say-so. Otherwise they would have to replace everyones who say they have a problem. And we all know how people like to scam warranty, (I know your NOT, I really do think there is a problem.)

Best bet, make note of what your doing, whats happening, temps, time of day, system uptime, everything happening when the crash occurs. 3 or 4 crashes and maybe a pattern will emerge. But I'm sure you've already thought of that. I'm sure you've also run another similar card in your system to eliminate that as a source.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text. I feel for ya, good luck.

7. evolucion888

evolucion888 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6900
    I experienced the same issue with my old HIS IceQ 3 HD 3850 AGP, but it was even worse, my system wouldn't boot, not even the BIOS screen, and I tested the same card to my friend's computer and experienced the same issue, and I switched my Coolmax CUG 700W PSU for an Antec Smart 2.0 and Voila, it worked. The funny thing is that the my friend's computer had the same PSU model that I used on my PC. Some cards might have trouble with certain models of Power Supply, try to use and punish your card with another computer or a different power supply and see if you can replicate the issue.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. SpudMuffin

SpudMuffin Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970BE 900/1200
    I'g glad someone has suggested testing in an otherwise different machine, this is what XFX are doing and will determine if it is the actual card or not.

Try not to make statements that suggest that because you have been doing something for 26 years you're very good at it because it is too easy for anybody to become fixated on an apparent cause. Having so much experience I would have thought testing the card in an altogether different computer would have been one of the first things you would have done.

9. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    And what makes you think i didn't???? Damn the insults here. Stop judging, Jesus Christ.

10. SpudMuffin

SpudMuffin Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970BE 900/1200
    I read the thread quickyl and read alot about you using a different PSU and swapping out your mobo a few times to make sure it wasn't grounding somewhere. That combined with your agreement that testing in a friend's computer was a good idea led me to believe that you had not done this yet. If you have testing in a different machine completely, posted that in the thread and I missed it, sorry.

11. robbo01247

robbo01247 Member

GPU:
    gtx 650
    I had an issue with xfx which i did post about a few months ago,I finally got an RMA number from them and after returning the GTX295 they sent me a 5870 via the step up program,I did have too pay £60 on top which i do not agree with but it was sorted in the end but at one point it was very close too them returning the card as they said it had component damage which was total bull as I was running 3 gtx295s were 2 had died suddenly on 1 core and 1 was fine,my advise is they will try and get out of any warranty you have but they do honour them in the end but you will have too shell out more cash.

12. Chernobyl

Chernobyl Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 4870 1gb
    XFX customer service has always been fairly easy to work with for me but they make it REALLY REALLY hard to RMA anything.
    When they RMA'd my 4870 and the replacement was broken, they refused to believe that they had shipped me a broken card and even claimed that they "tested all cards rigorously for hours" (which is obviously horse ****).
    In the end it took an extra 2 weeks to get a working replacement.

13. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690

The problems that you're describing above with the artifacting of the mouse pointer and the screen which can result in a crash is something that I also saw with my 5970. However this problem is purely down to the stupidly low clocks on the 2d powersave mode that ATI have introduced on the 5000 series, to make my 5970 stable I had to raise my 2d clocks to 400/400 rather then the stock 157/300 which would makes my system crash all the time.....If you are using 2 monitors then the stock low clocks will def make the system unstable which is why from cat 10.5 ATI introduced clocks of 400/1000 on a 2 monitor system.

I am still having issues though if I leave my pc on the login page as my amended clocks don't kick in until catalyst loads up so I am not 100% happy but the system is stable for everyday use.

14. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    OP, this is the second time the 10.5 drivers have been mentioned, and this guy makes a lot of sense. Maybe you should give it a shot (at least raising the 2D clocks I mean)? If you have already then sorry :)

15. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Exactly, you didn't ask for help did you? Yet everyone comes in as a smart ass trying to give you tips on how to "fix" the problem that you obviously already have tried.

This guy does this stuff for his living, and I can say with confidence that he is able to fix problems better than the most of us.

Anyway, I know how you feel, it's not the first kind of topic I've seen.
    This is also true, but it's not a solution to the problem.
    Personally I return everything that doesn't work properly, I want what I pay for.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010

16. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    The OP doesn't seem at all open to the possibility that the "issue" may lay with something other than the videocard.

Without more extensive testing I don't see how this assumption can be made.

I worked "on the bench" for many years and know from experience how strange some issues can appear. Luckily, being in the business, I had a wide range of alternative parts to dip into to so could usually get to the bottom of any issues after some trial and error testing.

Does the OP know any (well stocked) OEM system builders that can help him look into this further?

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Well let me see. I've had a 5870 in this system now for what 2 1/2 weeks with no issues. Listen, Ive built and repaired more systems in my 26 years than everyone's combined age in this thread.

Please stop insulting my intelligence.

18. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    im sorry for your problem but you sound like a dick when responding to the other dicks that cannot figure out how to read. my suggestion do not respond to them just let what the say go in and out.

hope you get it figured out soon so you do not kill someone.

19. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    I have to point a finger at the PSU if you have not tried a different one yet. Thermaltake PSU's are actually pretty bad past their 850W. I tried about 3 different 1000 and 1200W ones from them and none of them could power my comp without failing on reboot. Finally got a full refund, (Thermaltake Support is pretty good) and got myself my Coolermaster 1000W. Works great and the reviews on all their PSU's I have read so far are pretty top notch.

20. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    I see your reply to me is as charming as your reply to others who have dared offer other possibilities as the soursce of your problem.

I don't think you're are good at this as you think. Infact, I'm certain you're not as capable at PC fault finding and diagnostics as you relish telling people you are.

Good luck, with that attitude you're gonna need plenty.