Best Driver for 8800GTS 640 SSC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by A-L-E-X, Jul 29, 2010.

1. A-L-E-X

A-L-E-X Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB 112SP
    I have an 8800GTS 640 SSC card from EVGA and with a Q6600 CPU on a motherboard which, unfortunately, only supports PCIE 4x. Before I installed nHancer I was getting 3DMark06 scores of 9100 or so, but now its only hovering around 8000. Is there some known issue with nHancer and 3DMark06? Should I not have it in my systray when Im benchmarking with 3DMark06? I already have V Sync turned off for 3DMark06 and set to application only in global settings. I also have AA and AF disabled for 3DMark06 and have it set to high performance mode with all optimizations turned on. Im also wondering if I have too many of these extra programs running at the same time-- I have rivatuner (for overclocking) and nHancer sitting in my system tray and I was thinking about getting nVtray but I think I really dont need that, since I have the other two programs. Thoughts?

Also, Im using driver version 182.50 because I use an app called Starry Night Pro Plus which needs OpenGL 2. I was wondering if the newer drivers (newer than mine, meaning 197), which support OpenGL 3.3 disable some of the functionality of OpenGL 2 (because I read something about that on the nVidia website.) If they dont, do you think I should upgrade my drivers and should I move on to the latest 250 series drivers or should I upgrade to something in the 197 series or just keep the 182 series that I have? Thanks for any help you can provide! I dont care about lots of speed, I just want the most stable driver for both DirectX 9 and OpenGL 2 (and, if possible, higher.) My card also runs a bit hot so I would like the driver which keeps it the coolest. I have a Windows XP SP3 32bit system with 2 GB RAM if that helps.

Besides wanting to know which would be the most stable drivers to use with my configuration, I would also like to know what the best global AA settings to use are. NHancer has 32x AA which is an "experimental" setting of 4xMSAA plus 28 coverage samples, but Im reading that might not work well with OpenGL so I might set it to 16xAA and downgrade my TSAA from 2x supersampling to multisampling. What do you think? Also, if I want certain games to use global settings, is it good to still make custom profiles for those games, even if they use global settings? Thanks!

2. orionstar2009

orionstar2009 Member

GPU:
    8800 gts 640 OC 641/1080
    I have a question if we can flash our old card 8800 gts 640 with the bios of 8800 gts ssc ?? :pc1:

for my geforce 8800 gts 640 i installed quadro fx driver 258.96 whql :)