Msi r5770 pmd1g

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Bitemark, Jul 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Bitemark

Bitemark New Member

GPU:
    MSi / R5770 PMD1G
    Hello everyone !

I have stumbled upon a problem, and now have turned into this forum for confirmation & some possible help / Suggestion.

Around 4 months ago, I made my first gaming rig with the following specs :-

CPU : Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.00 Ghz
    Motherboard : MSI P45 Neo 2
    PowerSupply : Silverstone 500 W ( Model : ST50F-230 )
    GPU : MSI R5770 PMD1G
    Ram : 4 GB ( 2 x 2 ) Corsair DHX XMS2
    HDD : 250 GB x 1 ( Sata ) + My previous 320 GB x 1 ( IDE )
    Chasis : A very cheap "oven type" chasis which I replaced a week ago, with a CM 690 II Plus ( South Asia edition )

Apart from the chasis and an Addition of a Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler, NOTHING, has changed in the above rig. CPU is at stock speed, even now.

Now, here's the problem. The topic should already make it clear that it is about my GPU, So I will explain in more detail.

My GPU seems to heat up extremely fast. It has, in the past heated up to a point, where i'm assuming the motherboard / GPU initiated a fail safe because it ended up in the PC shutting down, and a quick restart the moment later would lead to no display on the screen whatsoever.

Attached in this thread, are four images.

#1 - The status of my GPU
    #2 - The status of my GPU on Idle
    #3 - The status of my GPU on full load
    #4 - A Diagram of my chasis's Air flow, rougly made by myself.

My GPU never seems to NOT heat up. At first, I blamed it on my "oven" type chasis which I got when I first made the rig ( lack of knowledge made me get a cheap one ) - And since it was winters back then, the ambient temps were good enough; So a manual over ride of the GPU's fan to 100% and a strict eye on temperatures + A careful choice of low end games led me to have an okay(ish) time.

But, I can't continue like this. I really need to take full advantage of my gaming rig. I'm missing out on a LOT of games that my PC can handle easily but won't because the GPU temps would reach to a point where the PC would automatically shut down.

So, I got a new chasis, but to my disappointment It didn't help much. I got a Coolermaster CM 690 II plus, and some 120 MM fans. The Image attached to this thread, will give you an idea of how my air flow is.

Now, I'm at the verge of returning my GPU as it is still under warranty, as I believe it MAY be faulty. But, before I do so - I want to be 100% sure, i'm not missing out on anything.

If you need anymore information, let me know - I can run tests and whatever you want, provided you tell me what you want me to do. I am badly looking for a solution, and a confirmation if YOU think my GPU really IS faulty so I can simply return it.

Thank you !

2. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I can't offer any advice but I do think that your GPU temps are high, I have a ASUS 5770 cucore which idled @ 35-39'C and hit low 70'C when gaming. If you are comfortable doing so I would check that the cooler is installed correctly with the proper amount of thermal paste.

3. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    Looks faulty to me, Id send it back in for a replacement.

4. Bitemark

Bitemark New Member

GPU:
    MSi / R5770 PMD1G
    Thank you guys. I'll be sure to return it soon, but I still want to be sure, What about my air flow - Do you think it's good enough ?

Anything else I should be noticing or doing / worrying about ?

As for the thermal paste, I've never done such a thing on a GPU & i'm not sure where to find any thermal paste either considering the country I live in.

Plus, I was hoping that anyone with a PMD1G would give me some insights ? Is the PMD1G cooler THAT bad ? or IS it REALLY just MY GPU ?

5. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    if it's easy enough to try I would swith the top most fan to an exhaust from intake to see if that helps, it looks like it may be messing the smooth airflow, other that it looks ok to me. :)

6. Bitemark

Bitemark New Member

GPU:
    MSi / R5770 PMD1G
    Just changed top fan to outtake - No luck. :/

7. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    Yea it could be the cards thermal sensor is reporting its temps wrong, but either way it goes I bet its just a faulty card. I wouldn't bother trying to do much with it, just send it in for a replacement or whatever and get a new one. If you are still having temp issues with the new one, then I would look into redoing your systems cooling or going for a new case.

8. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    I have two of these in CFX and can certainly say that they do tend to get toasty on tests like furmark. I ran a 40min test at 915MHz and got up to around 93c on both of them with fans screaming. While gaming I get to about 68-73c depending on the game and how much AA I'm running. Not exactly one of the best coolers out there for the 5770 but it gets the job done at the default clocks.

Doing this will only starve your CPU cooler for fresh cool air.

9. Bitemark

Bitemark New Member

GPU:
    MSi / R5770 PMD1G
    I've physically felt the card after the high temperature - it really DOES get hot. I almost burnt my finger twice. :/

So the top fan should be intake ? Did you check the image of my airflow ? Are you saying, that I did my airflow right ?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  10. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    yes because typically the CPU fan will blow the air towards the back of the case and having the intake right there in front of the CPU will allow it to pull from the fresh air coming in. Plus having more intake than out, from what I hear, Will help with dust. Supposedly it helps build a pressure in your system and doesn't allow dust to get in through other openings that aren't filtered or what have you.

Give this a try. I found this helps with temps on my cards. Change the side fan that is above the GPU to pull the air out. This will help take the hot air out of the case that it produces.

11. =TRA=T-Bone

=TRA=T-Bone Member

GPU:
    EVGA / 580's / 3GB x3
    I had one of my 3 MSI R5870's have that same problem. I took off the twin frozer cooler with only 4 screws and cleaned everything off and put some good new thermal compound on it and it hasn't had a problem since.

12. Bitemark

Bitemark New Member

GPU:
    MSi / R5770 PMD1G
    Here's the problem, My side panel is NOT above the GPU. In fact the GPU is ABOVE the fan. In order for the GPU to be ABOVE the side panel fan, I would simply have to move the GPU to the lower PCIe slot, which is unfortunately a 8x slot and NOT a 16x.

I moved the GPU to the lower slot, in the past week. It helped the temperatures a bit, but the problem itself didn't over come due to my action. Someone suggested to simply put the GPU back on the upper slot, above the 120 mm fan so it could "suck" the air coming from the side panel and I did so.

Should I just move the GPU to the lower slot then ?

But, i'm throughly convinced now that something might be wrong with my GPU and I should simply return it.

As much as I would love to do that, I simply can not. For the better part, if i DO have to return the card, it's best I not tamper with it.

13. =TRA=T-Bone

=TRA=T-Bone Member

GPU:
    EVGA / 580's / 3GB x3
    If it is the Hawk you can remove the cooler with 4 screws (the ones with the springs) its super easy and they do not have a sticker over them so they can't tell if you removed the cooler.

14. Bitemark

Bitemark New Member

GPU:
    MSi / R5770 PMD1G
    If it WAS a hawk, i probably wouldn't have been having a bad time. It's a PMD1G, not a hawk.

I also have a question, does my PSU have something to do with the GPU's temperature by any chance ?

15. =TRA=T-Bone

=TRA=T-Bone Member

GPU:
    EVGA / 580's / 3GB x3

16. Bitemark

Bitemark New Member

GPU:
    MSi / R5770 PMD1G
    Weird, some guy over the internet was arguing how his PSU had something to do with HIS R5770 which was an asus made.

17. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Just so people know what card we are dealing with.
    [​IMG]

Lol PSU has no effect as the card will take what it needs from there.

Sorry was assuming that the fan was more on top of the GPU. My 230mm fan sits like right on top of my cards. Its probably best to leave the card in the top slot anyways because of the cool air coming in from the side. Have you checked your voltage in MSI Afterburner?

18. =TRA=T-Bone

=TRA=T-Bone Member

GPU:
    EVGA / 580's / 3GB x3
    It looks like the Heatsink would still be easily removed. I did it to all 3 of my 5870's and it helped my temps on all 3 of them. The only way a PSU could effect your temps would be if it was putting out more than 12volts. Just put a DVM on the yellow and black wires to check and see for sure. Yellow should be at or around 12volts and the red should be at or around 5 volts.