3d 2d bug in new drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Scoop, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Scoop

Scoop Active Member

GPU:
    R2900 X2
    Downloading now, will give them a go

Regards
    Scoop

2. Scoop

Scoop Active Member

GPU:
    R2900 X2
    Ermmm Tried them and screwed my system! Just trying a restore now:pirate:

3. Copyright78

Copyright78 Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    The GTX460 (unlike the other Fermi's) runs very cool. I am about to make the swap as well.

4. Copyright78

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    So now im 400/1275 when in 2d and it increased my temps 10C at idle. I had old 9.12 drivers that had no problems for me and I decided to finally update them only to end up with hotter temps and now more fan noise to keep it cool.

5. Scoop

Scoop Active Member

GPU:
    R2900 X2
    Im back down to 10.4, they seem to be the latest ones to stop the bug, you could try them ones

As we say in England "This is bloody ridiculous"

regards
    Scoop

6. 01 Vlatce

01 Vlatce Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6770 DC
    Both. For example:
    My card have default colcks 700/1150, GPU/Memory. And if i overclock one (or both) of those frequency, 710/1160 for example, in 2D mode my card runs at 400/1160 with drivers newer from 10.4. With 10.4 or older drivers my card runs normally at 157/300 in 2D mode though it's overclocked.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  7. vebero

vebero Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD 5750 850/1075MHz
    It's the drivers. :p And it does affect my single card a lot. Temps go up by 10 C and fans go loud too. It's far from acceptable when PC is just running idle. And everytime when I want to game, manually overclock and then downclock after gaming session is stupid too.

8. 01 Vlatce

01 Vlatce Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6770 DC
    I do the same, аnd it's very stupid and irritating.

9. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    it's funny, the fact that 2d clocks are new, we use to run our cards at 100% all the time not too long ago, then when they started downclocking for 2d everyone bitched about grey screens and now everyone bitches just because the grey screen fix makes their cards idle hotter.......

I set my fan at 50% and never have to do anything, my card never goes above 70c, most of the time it sits at 65c in game.

anyway I'm sure I'm not alone, every other thread is some jackass threatening to dump ATI and buy Nvidia, I vote stfu and do it!
    go to the Nvidia forums so we dont have to read your crap.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Peoples speak about a bug when they OC with MSI afterbuner who is not provided by ATI ... for OC their cards 24/24 ,,, damn, ATI have not think peoples OC their cards 24/24 and can be touched by a bug with it.. **** their drivers are really too bad .... a bug ? lol .... yeah it's surely the drivers who is bugged.

And then you complain there's a bug somewhere and this the fault of ATI ?

Old MSI afterburner was completely disable the 2D/3D clock change, you was completely run with 3D clocks 24/24.. full voltage, no idle ....

Personnally i disable UPLS in registry, and never have get any problem then . I just need do it each time i install a new driver ...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I wanted to say this for a long time. But i was afraid. Thank you :D

12. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    It also makes me wonder what those people were thinking that other would care about them change their brand of gpu, cpu, pants, underwear, cheese or whatever.

13. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I think this topic show how some topics need to stay on top of the forums...
    That isn't bug, it's an workaround... and we discussed months ago.
    I've solved the problem modifyng cpu/memory 3d frequency with RBE.
    No Overdrive or oc programs enabled.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    2d clocks arent new, they have been there for years.
    its the new ULPS state that is new, and has been introduced with the 5xxxx series this year.

then there are clock bugs where the core or ram speeds or even both stick to 3d state when exiting any 3d application.
    for me the last is usually happening to my 2nd gpu, ive seen it happen to my 1st gpu only once i think.
    for me it also happens that the 2nd gpu doesnt go into 3d mode at all. (happens with catalyst 10.6 and up). so i will have 2 gpu running at different speeds in CFX, this isnt good at all.

15. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I've had my fair share of ATi and Nvidia products and I have always defended against aggressors who derided Catalyst drivers but it's becoming increasing more difficult to do so. I paid good money for this card and I have a right to complain. If you don't want to read it then skip my post or anyone else's for that matter.

16. Scoop

Scoop Active Member

GPU:
    R2900 X2
    Many thanks psychok9, Ive just done the same and all seems good again. Its a risky option but I was lucky that it worked and is now a permanant fix.

Great stuff.

Regards
    Scoop

17. Copyright78

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    I had no gray screen issues with my setup and did not need the extra clock or heat output. Maybe you guys can live with extra heat and noise but my PC is right next to my living room and I don't want to hear it. It was perfectly silent before and ran great. I should have never bothered with a driver upgrade. I was on 9.12!

18. 01 Vlatce

01 Vlatce Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6770 DC
    Man, the problem is appearing when you overclock. Does not matter with which program you overclock. MSI AB, ATI Overdrive, Rivatuner, Asus SmartDoctor, EVGA precision...

And don't tell me that is not a bug, because it's not normal to have higher frequency in 2D idle mode than while playing video.

19. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    It's normal. Strange behaviour but isn't a bug.
    UVD can't works to higher frequency, and still at 400/900MHz. If you see hardware accelerated videos, it still at 400/900Mhz.
    If you activate overdrive-workaround mode, your memory still at max 3d frequency.
    You can disable overdrive in 2D mode with ATi app or ATi shortcut icon, you can overclock without overdrive with RadeonBiosEditor and set your fan like you want, you can disable hw accellerated videos for don't activate 400/900 frequency.

20. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    I have found a nice work around for this!!

I used MSI Afterburner (thanks unwinder ;)) and create two profiles:

1 - Default settings (which have the 157/300 2d clocks)
    2 - OC settings (for me, 950/1250)

Choose Profile 1 for startup.

Then, in Afterburner, go into Settings >> Profiles. Under 'Automatic Profiles Management' you can apply the profiles to 2D and 3D settings. Apply the default profile to 2D and the OC to 3D et voila!!

I tested with BC2, and it switches automatically from 2D (default profile) to 3D (OC profile) in game :D

Back to being able to OC my card without the extra volts / clocks / heat in 2D mode :D