PC magically turns unstable in the mornings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Leopardi, Jul 14, 2010.

1. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    For the third time - can you set your memory 8-8-8-24 1333MHz (or whatever clock they are rated) and then check, if your computer is stable or there are still memory errors?

2. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    Yeah it's now set at 8-8-8-24. I'll also try lowering the command rate to 2T if it doesn't work.

3. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Sorry for nagging about setting RAM to those timings, but many people had problems with instability with different kind of mems when using AMD system. After closer look it turned out, that they bought kit with very low timings (primarily designed for Intel) and the motherboard also set low timings on auto or they set timings from the box (meant for Intel). When they changed the timings to more acceptable 8-8-8-24 everything worked fine, no matter if it was Intel or AMD kit. With some more tweaking they were able to lower 2nd-4th timing, but when they lowered first, all hell break loose again.

Memory controller in AMD CPUs is not very efficient. I hope this will change in the Bulldozer CPUs.

4. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    Nope nothing changed. Not even at 8-8-8-24-2T. But after resetting CMOS the memory accepts motherboard even at default specs.

5. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    I have no more ideas :)

Now you have to test all the parts separately if you have that possibility. You are left with bad mobo or RAM, or mobo/RAM incompatibility...

Sorry I can't help more.

6. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    Well isn't just broken/incompatible RAM and not the mobo, if it worked normal with my friends G.Skill and started BSODing immediately after I put these back?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Yeah, sound about right... So RAM replacement. Hate when new hardware doesn't work well (like my 10-days old GTX460 with damaged HDMI port - going to sell that sucker when it will be back from RMA 2-3 weeks from now and I'm going back to the Red Team - my punishment for leaving it :p)

8. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    I think I actually got it working 100% now, by changing tRFC from the default 110ns to 300ns. No problems so far at 1333MHz 7-7-7-20-1T.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010