PC magically turns unstable in the mornings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Leopardi, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    I don't know what to do anymore. Currently running prime95 stable for hours at 3,7ghz clock and it's like nothing will be able to take down the computer and the temps are floating at 56-59C extreme tops. Then, after I go to sleep and wake up in the morning, it will boot normally but every startup program is crashing due to whatever "memory errors", and firefox won't open without crashing.

I reseated the memory in other slots and pressed hard to make sure they are properly seated, but no. It still does it every time the computer has been shut down for X amount of time and I have to go down to factory defaults to make it work, and then it lets me OC to whatever extreme values fully stable.

My PSU is also making a not so loud but annoying still high pitched droning noise could this all be caused by a defective PSU?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    It probably is the power supply.

4. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    It sounds more like a whispering whine, the electrical squeal is nowhere that loud but I can hear it when I move my ear close to the PSU.

I suspect it's the fan because it's also making a grating noise as if there was a little dirt inside it similar to this vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrulQNyUV0&feature=related .

I can't pinpoint the annoying high pitched whine but when I turn off all the case/CPU fans with only the GPU running I can still hear it.

5. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    It did the same thing again, this time it would reboot right before desktop. I hope it's the PSU, I ordered a Seasonic X-750 for replacement.

6. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Yep I would have to say PSU

7. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Computers need coffee too.

8. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
  9. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    been a while since i oc'd amd but, having memory controller on cpu dosnt like u to up voltages too much

10. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    I tested memory with memtest86 this morning, and as expected it gave me like 100 000 errors halfway throught first pass. But after I cleared the CMOS there was nothing even after 4 full passes.

11. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    Seasonic X-750 installed, still same crap. Sigh.

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Have you checked the voltage you are getting from the wall? I know it may seem stupid, but maybe your provider is undercutting you in the morning or something.

13. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    It's probably a bad OC - I had numerous cases when oc'ed PC passes all "synthests" including Prime, but goes BSOD after 30 mins in something like GTA 4 :p Try to readjust your settings. According to your memtest, it also may be a faulty memory stick. Try a different RAM set, see if it affects the situation somehow.

14. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    Now I can't boot even after resetting CMOS. All I did yesterday was reseat the memory to the red slots again to see if it does something.

It shows a BSOD for 0.01 secs before it reboots, can I get the message to stick somehow?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  15. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Try to return to factory settings and then turn off automatic reboot after error option in Windows.

As for the squealing sound witch ATT - I got it when I OC'ed my HD4890 too much - all of sudden card started squealing on artifact test and of course artifacts appeared. When I reduced OC to stable level, squealing and artifacts were gone.

Can you post all your voltages that you are using when OC'ing? Also, do you have any voltages left to auto? Some mobos are overvolting AUTO voltages, when you are OC'ing, and this can make things go unstable.

But it's weird that this occurred only in the mornings. Do you have your PC connected through surge-protecting power strip or UPS? If you have only one power line in your house for all sockets, there can be serious fluctuations (at least for PC) when turning on very high wattage appliance, like vacuum cleaners, electric kettles, microwaves etc.

16. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    I can't get it to boot through the windows logo at all anymore. Windows repair thingy says it can't repair it. OCZ support told me that the problems are because I have an intel kit designed for i3, i5 and i7, but the memory is listed in the QVL so how can that be?

I have it connected straight to the wall, nothing in between.

17. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Most of Intel kits works for AMD. But I just looked at your sig - your mems run 7-7-7-20 all the time? Integrated memory controller in AMD CPU's doesn't work with tight timings (lower than CL8) very well. Try to setting your timings to 8-8-8-24 and then check if computer is giving you any errors.

18. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    I think it's the memory, we reinstalled OS with a G.Skill stick and left it shut down for a few hours - it booted fine. Well then I put an OCZ stick and I was left with a black screen after windows logo, and the other stick gave me a BSOD.

Then G.Skill back and after startup repair everything ran normal.

19. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Have you tried setting your OCZ RAM to 8-8-8-24 timings like I suggested earlier? If the board is setting RAM on auto with lower CL than 8, this might be the problem.

20. Leopardi

Leopardi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
    On auto it puts the ram 1066MHz 8-8-8-20