Critique My Rig?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CoolaX365, Jul 14, 2010.

1. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Ooo, there's a thought too.

Should perform marginally lower than a 5970, but be in the range of $200-300 less expensive.

2. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    it would be quite a bit better in some games, but any CPU limited game, it would be a little worse. I'd have to recommend the i7 for a high end computer like this though, considering the i7 930 + X58 costs less than the 1070T + 890FX.

if you are mainly playing MMOs then I'd definitely go with the intel, but you need to change your list to save some cash. Like I said before, for a gaming build, there's no reason to spend $380 on a motherboard, or $200 on RAM when cheaper alternatives perform the same in games. The only reason to get that motherboard is for e-peen or if it has features you NEED.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. ron7000

ron7000 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G GTX970
    i just did mine for basically a $1000: asus p6x58d-e, i7-930, 6gb corsair ddr3-1600, corsair 950w psu not modular, and the corsair h50 cooler. I haven't overclocked yet but with prime95 my cpu runs ~ 54c. This isn't counting the antec1200 case i bought about 2 years earlier nor hard drives and graphics which was scrounged. And i did pick up the creative xgamer off ebay for $80.

i'm not really experienced with motherboards but if I had to choose again, I would still go with the p6x58d-e but get ddr3-2000 ram, it was very easy to set up in the bios. And i would have spent a little extra and got a modular power supply, I chose what I did because everything was on sale with rebates, and would have gotten a lower wattage psu. I think you could get a less expensive motherboard and not sacrifice performance, and put that money towards graphics, and get 6gb of ddr3-2000 ram at $200.

I had bought an antec1200 case about 2-3 years ago, then maybe last year got an antec900 case for $80 shipped; i had reconsidered and wanted a smaller case but ended up using the 1200; but i know the 900 (and similar cases for $100) are perfectly fine for holding a full size atx motherboard so I don't think it's worth $200 for a case unless it has features you really want. I think I got my 1200 for $175 shipped.
    And I think you should go with a LGA1366 socket, which is i7-9xx cpu's. The i7-8xx cpu's are a different socket- LGA1156 which is only dual channel memory (RAM) and slower versus the LGA1366 which is triple channel memory... which means you should buy 3 sticks of RAM for best performance.

and i can tell you first hand because i have a killawatt power meter reporting power usage, my setup uses ~130 watt at idle doing nothing and having 3 hard drives powered, playing music & web surfing less than 200 watt, and running prime95 pegging cpu and all fans on max (6 fans on my antec1200) less than 300 watt... this is with a cheapo jaton 8400 video card. Unless you plan on going crazy with more than one power hungry graphics card, a 650-750 watt well-known PSU would suffice.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
    Thanks everyone! In the end, I decided to get an Alienware.

5. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    wtf we just got trolled

6. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    LOL, if the man wants to waste his cash on an Alienware, he's free to do so. :wanker:

7. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT
    Just a joke guys :p

A friend of mine had actually recommended getting an Alienware. Needless to say, that person has been sacked.

I actually purchased the case today. The processing page crashed in my browser, and I checked my newegg account to make sure it didn't go through and it showed nothing. So I went to purchase it again, and when I did, 2 of them showed up as processing. I went to cancel the previous one, but it kept telling me I couldn't do it.

3 hours later, by some miracle it showed up as Void. Thank. god.

In other news, as I'm finalizing the rest of the components (much thanks to the feedback here!) I'm curious if the Coolermaster V10 is a good buy to cool my cpu and ram. And if it would fit into the Haf X case. Thanks!

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    If you wouldn't have said that, I would have called for a slap on the hand :wanker:.

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    We tried at least.

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    No, the V10 is over priced and does not cool as well as other high end air coolers like the Noctua D14 or the Megahalems. I wouldn't waste my money on it. A fellow guru got some very respectable temps out of the V10, but only by a substantial amount of modding and the voiding of warranties on it!

I would go with the Noctua (if it will fit in your rig)

11. CoolaX365

CoolaX365 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT