Alpha Protocol

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, May 28, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    By the way, do you have a problem with Alpha Protocol taking a really LONG time to load up? I'm not joking but it takes almost 4 or 5 minutes of disk activity before the desktop disappears and is replaced by the Alpha Protocol loading screen. The game works absolutely fine and everything, I've had no crashes, I just have this unusually prolonged initial load then it loads quickly thereafter for the game missions. Odd.

I do have the original disc to hand but I'm running it from a NoDVD crack so I don't know whether it's because of that. Would be nice to know if others are having the same issue as me or not.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. Gothik

Gothik Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 380X 4GB
    If you have the original discs and are not trying to bypass the DRM it came supplied with, you do not need a NoDVD crack to run the game without the discs in the drive. I installed and then placed the DVDs on my shelf and haven't had to touch them since. :)

I don't have the same specs as you, but although the game can take a little while to load, it does not take 4 - 5 minutes. It's usually less than a minute. I suspect the crack you are using is causing the problem.

3. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    only takes less than a minute for me, are you running the NoDVD crack-fix? coz that's what I'm using atm

@ lol, I know japamd, also I've reported it too.

EDIT: Nvm, answered my own question

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Damn, I didn't know that! I just assumed it needed the disc, backed up the original file and used the NoDVD version I'd already downloaded the week before. Never thought to try the original file without the DVD in the drive! Duh!

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Dont want to offend anybody but OMG what a pile of crap!I played it with my friend for about 2 hours last night. Serious? glad i didnt buy it. but thats only my opinion!

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Rofl, looks terrible, looks like some really old PC game, that i can't remember the name of now lol.

EDIT: Project igi, that was it :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    Whoa I remember project igi. That wasn't a bad game if I remember. I think it was frustrating at points like AP though.

I got alpha protocol when they had it on discount at steam a couple weeks ago. I'd heard the problems with stealth so I played it as a straight up shooter for the most part. It was ok. You can see the potential it had from time to time. The story was mixed, there were lots of consequences and all that jazz if you're into that; some of the characters were a bit weak though. The conversations between the main character and Leland were interesting.

It is worth playing, but not at the full price, and just be sure to play it the "right" way (guns-blazing, not stealth).

10. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    what's the verdict - i see alot of bad reviews and comments here - is it really that lousy (gameplay)

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yes krisha, it is. :rolleyes:

12. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    sad - good thing i haven't bought it :)
    i even see folks talking project IGN like, and that was a piece of ****

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  13. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I found it to be a good casual game. It wasn't very challenging and the dialogue was entertaining most of the time - especially Steven Heck. The animations and some game play elements are choppy or weird feeling, but it didn't bother me too much. I also enjoyed the melee combat.

Overall the game felt a lot like an arcade RPG shooter. Like something Namco would do.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Agreed - I gave it a second chance and found the game quite enjoyable. Heck was a pretty damn funny character. Though I must admit I'm confused as to why people seem to have problems with the "difficulty" or even the stealth use.

I keep seeing comments about people finding the bosses too difficult to beat, or that the stealth aspect of the game is somehow non-functioning. This simply isn't true. In fact, my first play through was with a stealth build and maxed martial arts. I rarely if ever even used a gun. Though admittedly this made boss fights almost too easy.

15. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    This game along with another 5000 games got hyped and didn't accomplish 10% of that. I just stop going to game review sites now (gamespot, gameinformer, etc).

16. davegl1234

davegl1234 Member

GPU:
    Hd 5970
    Does forcing the BiaHH profile give AA support for everyone?

I've tried it with Radeonpro and by renaming the exe, but its not working...not sure whats gone wrong, could the application profiles I downloaded from ATI have not installed correctly? Or does this fix sometimes not work?

I've got the latests drivers (10.7) and application profile, and have tried uninstalling the drivers, cleaning, and reinstalling, but, whenever I force AA I lose the dialoge options.

17. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    odd, it's certainly working for me, if you've ever seen my screenshots in the screenshot thread.

did you launch through Radeonpro or did you go through the shortcut on desktop? You have to go through radeonpro in order for the AA profile to be forced (right-click on the radeonpro system tray icon and you'll see a launch menu)

@ Darkest: True. Heck, on my 2nd playthrough I didn't focus on stealth or martial arts at all, had difficulty to hard and I still found it easy. I'm sensing a little hypocrisy from these "PC" gamers who complain about games being so easy and console-ized.

18. And0r

And0r Active Member

GPU:
    AA works for me if I disable cat ai. I use radeon pro to do it just for this game. I still have the dialogue options :)

19. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    I updated to 10.7, and it seems that the only way to enable AA is to disable catalyst AI, then force the BiaHH profile. Then again, I hated what 10.7 did to my 2d clocks, so I switched back to 10.4

20. davegl1234

davegl1234 Member

GPU:
    Hd 5970
    ok thanks, i'll try changing some settings in Radeon pro...

Usually if i disable AI, I can't apply AA anyway, and I lose crossfire on my 5970, but I guess that using RadeonPro you can work round this?

by the way, did you get AI and AA with the 10.4 drivers? I may roll back if I can't get it to work in RadeonPro.