Post your game room/station pics #3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by aircool, Mar 18, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    You may want to get that looked into then as I doubt your machine pushes more than 300W.

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    You bet, I regularly hear the PSU fan ramp up under load. Must be near it's limit since pretty much every single thing in my system is overclocked and over volted to as far as it can go never mind I have 5 HDD's.

Their good PSU's though and actually produce more that 750W under load, reviews have tested them at a real 900W peak.

3. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    I love the chair Abject:thumbup:

4. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    my little space

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    we have the same steering wheel! :D

6. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    nice, actually im getting troubles to get used to and play grid as i should.. (im now a total noob playing) not the same like my old controller.. i even play better with my keyboard.. lol

7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Here's an update on mine......

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My space for the computers shortened because i changed furniture and this was the end result. A bit more cramped space....

8. kev007_2002

kev007_2002 Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770 1GB
    @yukss, those lights r bright as hell. dont they annoy u when ur up late night fragging?
    @ wayway, ur setup is uber sexy, i likey much
    @ scouting. ur space seems to be well used, so u shouldnt be having any issues

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  9. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    lol.. the ligths are off when im playing XD

10. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Abject: well.... PSU fans, like a lot of computer fans, are temperature controlled. Just because the fan ramps up doesn't mean that the heat is coming specifically from the PSU. And even if a PSU was rated for 750w and tested up to 900w peak.... you'll never see any sane computer owner running anywhere close to that for an extended period of time.

11. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    i see a lot of people have antec 900/902/1200 series:banana:
    its a amazing case, lots of airflow and quiet.
    i have 902

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    It is the PSU fan that ramps up I can tell when it does as all my other fans are at a set speed.

The thing is how would you know your running 900 peak? not like anyone checks how much their using so you just keep connecting more stuff up till you get stability problems and realise you might need a bigger PSU. The fact is the PSU is capable of doing more than it is rated for as a overhead without any problems unlike some other PSU's which don't even manage their claimed Wattage let alone any headroom.

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    That's where i believe you seem to be misinterpreting the "overhead" of a PSU. If you're overloading your PSU... you wouldn't always see a "stability problem". One example i can give.... several years back i had a Sony Vaio desktop PC... it had onboard graphics. This was when i was first getting into trying to assemble my own PC's (wanted to build my own, but my parents didn't trust computer show parts... even though vendors at computer shows tend to have actual shops somewhere, too). I threw.... i think it was a GeForce 4 Ti4200 into the computer.... making the (later realised) mistake of not checking the power supply in the computer to see what it's wattage was. Needless to say it's wattage was i think around 130w or so.... kinda like the typical pre-built broad name brand PC, only having enough wattage to power what's in the computer. was there any "instability"? No. One day i woke up, and my brother told me "I don't know what happened to the computer.... there's all these colored blocks on the screen". Keep in mind this was quite a while after putting the card in.... at least a few months. Card was dead as could be.

Another example is a bit more recent. When i first got my 8800GTX, i was still running an Athlon 64 X2.... and my entire system was powered by an Ultra X2-Connect 550W power supply. Ran perfectly fine for i think 2-3 months... and ran perfectly fine with the previous two 7900GT's in SLI. One day... right in the middle of a game.... screen went black, and something in the case was making a seriously high pitched alarm. Turns out it was the 8800GTX.... but it wasn't IT that died.... it was the PSU.... or more precisely, the PCI-Express connections lost all voltage, entirely. Voltmeter stuck into the pins on the cable with the PSU on showed nothing... and verification from eVGA at the time stated that if the card isn't recieving enough, or any voltage, an alarm will sound.

Generally.... if you're running too much power that your PSU isn't rated for.... "instability" is the least of your worries and the least noticable side-effect. Hence why i said that even if a PSU that's rated for 750W was tested to have a 900W peak, no sane computer owner would ever get it even remotely close to that. "Peak" doesn't mean "Constant".... which is what you need to worry about.... which is probably why it has a 750W rating. It could probably HIT 900W... but wouldn't be able to maintain it without drastic consequences.

How do you know you're getting close to the limit? Well... you don't really "know"... but a lot of people, especially those of us that visit Guru3D, can kinda guesstimate roughly how much wattage would be needed and allow overhead for future additions. Running a single very high end video card, high end CPU, and say 2-3 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 4GB of memory, sound card... around 700-750w would probably be alright. same system with SLI'd/Crossfired very high end GPU's? Probably wanna look more around the 900-1,000w range.

Yes, i'm running a 900W PSU.... but I also follow the OTHER general rule of thumb most of us Guru's follow. You're better off paying for more than you need for a power supply than paying for "just enough". If you buy a power supply that's "just enough", and a while later decide to maybe add another video card... guess what..... you're going to be buying another PSU, too.

14. killerxr290

killerxr290 Banned

GPU:
    Im Out
    Moved house and living with a mate of mine so.. new pics!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Or win a lan competition and get an antec truepower quattro for free. It has served me well the last 2 years :D

16. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    i mount my logitech x-530 with a nail on wall. no tape required :nerd: :)

17. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Fail. Posted same stuff twice. Mod can delete this.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  18. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Man i love that case so much... Want one for my next machine :)

19. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

I like that casing you have there. 2 lappies 1 desktop. Even though your specs look low btw are u using a 5.1 surround sound system.

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    those speakers are indeed 5.1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.