Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Nijohc, Jul 6, 2010.

1. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    If you have panic atacks it means you are psychologically unstable and may pose a threat to your self and others in later life. Its also good to see its mostly Americans that suffer from this condition, i bet the pharmaceutical companies love you guys being pumped with drugs...

2. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    You are being ironic right?

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    He's just trolling.

Anxiety disorder affects 10% of men and 18% of women at some point in their lives. So it's fairly common. Those stats include most of the developed world including the UK.

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I have them when I feel athsmatic, it is not uncommon, it compounds itself, I feel like I am having an athsma attack...so I panic and then it makes breathing hard....so I panic more and so on. If I am in a stuffy room or in the back seat of a car ( where the backseat is small so your knees are above the level of your waist....like in a hatch back...it makes it harder to breath again because it compresses your diaphram ), this coupled with my fear of being a passenger in a car because a friend of mine drove head on into a tree at 100kph with me in the front passenger seat...the tree went though the entire engine block and my knees went into the dash, the top half of the steeringwheel snapped off from the force of the crash/his hands against it + my lifelong claustrophobia ( older cousins wrapped me up in a fold out mattress with my arms by my side and kept me there for long periods of time.... )

means that when I am cramped or in the back seat of a car I feel like I about to drown... I feel stressed just thinking about it...like it's hard to breath.

Scary stuff, hypertension is not the same, it just leads to anger/irritation, I actually get scared when I have a panic attack. Lots of screaming and yelling in my house as a kid too, people arguing or raising their voices brings back memories, I get pannicked when that happens too. I can't watch drama shows on TV ( or basically TV in general ) because everyone is always screaming at each other, and I figure there is enough of that in real life...

So yeah you can put down a tick in most common mental illnesses for me, including depression anxiety and I have insomnia as well as the above... So all these things kind of lead to pannick attacks.

Haven't had one in a while, but the other day I was a passenger and I had to get them to turn the radio off and open all the windows because I felt like I needed to jump from a moving car to stop myself from suffocating in the back seat

5. jacko36

jacko36 Member

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 xFire
    heights does it for me every time.
    i'm ok in tall buildings and aeroplanes and what not,
    but put me on a ladder more than about 6-7 meters and it's too much.

6. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    that's true and also they disappear after a while. It usually last from a year to 5 years and then they're gone.

7. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    I actually do not get quality sleep and I noticed that is one of factors that causes me to have anxiety. I do get 8-9 hours of sleep every day but, it's not quality sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night at least 4-5 times.

8. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    My dads side of the family, including myself, has Bipolar Disorder. I've actually not been to bed yet; don't see the reason to as I have enough energy.

Sometimes after I tell somebody a joke, i'm afraid that they'll take it as harassment, and sue me for money, putting my family into bad debt. Then I worry that I will temperally be sent to jail because of that, then I will never be able to get a job once I get out, and will die alone. Just a normal paranoia aspect of bipolar for my family.

I doubt this is the reason you have, just curious of why you have panic attacks in particular. If it is because of that pill, you can NEVER EVER go straight off of medication. When I do, I end up being exhausted, thinking that things are coming out to hurt me, and have horrific nightmares that involve pain, so I can't tell if they are reality. Just isn't worth the not taking them.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    ive been suffering from panic attacks and severe anxiety since i was 8, many years ago i was prescribed XanaX shortly after my father died because his death affected me deeply but apparently my body didn't like the pills and it nearly ruined my life it was as if my brain went crazy and every doctor insisted that the reaction was normal until i started getting bipolar symptoms and was put on lithium.

that's when they switched me to Valium 10mg and since then i've not had a single problems and i feel extremely well, i'll have to take 5 to 10mg of valium for life but that's fine by me. ;)

my panic attacks and anxiety were not caused by anything, for example i could be sitting in the bus when suddenly start feeling a shortness of breath followed by an intense sense of dread, in severe cases i used to pass out or scream in fear, this is effectively a disease and need to be dealt with with meds.

it's way different from the usual anxiety people get for example because they don't want to fail an exam or life issues, this is caused by stress and you don't really need any med unless it turns chronic for at least 6 month.

10. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I've been getting these attacks for about 3 years, I think the trigger was when I quit smoking - and I smoked a LOT, I just quit, no patches etc and a day or two later I had the ambulance out because my heart was beating that fast I couldn't stand up. Ever since then I got an absolute feel of dread when I had to go to big open spaces. I started to avoid such situations until it got to the point I was a prisoner in my own home and would get these attacks if I just left the house. I could no longer work and lost a lot of friends thanks to this ridiculous mind phuck.

I've improved a lot since then with the help of a good friend and can now go out on my own and drive places etc. I still get the absolute dread when approaching a wide open space it's the one part I haven't yet been able to conquer.

Also, to Chouji, I'm really against taking the beta blockers, this is a mental illness and while the blockers might alleviate some of the physical sensations they are in no way a cure, plus some of the possible side effects sound pretty intense : Impotence, vomiting, hallucination, heart failure, sudden death. While it's unlikely I'd get any of those at least I know with the panic attacks themselves the only effects are the sensations themselves which aren't supposed to be able to kill me, if I took the meds I'd be feeling anxious about that too!!

I've decided to try this psychologist stuff, but I know deep down that the only person who can cure me is myself, I have to face these ridiculous and irrational fears and just go out into a fkin field.

I was suprised by the amount of replies in this thread btw.

btw Year, did the Lithium do anything for the panic attacks? I have a friend who is biploar and has to take lithium.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010

11. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that sounds like anxiety alright.

i don't think you can cure yourself from panic attacks because essentially your coping barrier gets annihilated in the brain and the only way you can be cured is by taking Benzodiazepines (valium), friends and support and working on yourself can help but sometimes they are not enough.

Valium is the safest drug in the world with virtually no other side effect other than mild sleepyness with small doses (at first) and can be taken only as needed not everyday, check out with your doctor in order to receive the proper dose, every person is different.

with bigger doses its not recommended to drive and you'll look stoned most of the time, if you use it everyday for more than 2 weeks you'll get hooked on them and can't stop (addiction), stopping cold turkey might cause fits, brain zaps sensations (i tried to stop once and those were absolutely horrible), insomnia and an increase in anxiety/panic attack symptoms.

no the Lithium did nothing, it only stabilized my moods and made me gain 50 pounds in a matter of weeks, i have a very high metabolism so when i stopped the med and went to the gym i lost all the weight and then some, infact since then i'm not able to gain proper weight anymore, i'm 6'2.5 tall (189cm) and weight 75kg when i should be at least 85, i'm not skinny though, i eat a billion things and gain nothing, been stuck for the past 6 years.

actually i think this is a good thing considering i lead mostly a sedentary life :p

12. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Hum my anxiety symptoms do not fit in the descriptions showed were.
    Basically i´m normal, and all the sudden i feel with hot, then cold, have some chest pains like needles, but not always, my stomach starts to rumble, i get nausea and dizziness, also not always, and the sensation of losing control.

This is not habitual, in fact i get the symptoms maybe 1-2 time a month, and after a night sleep i feel great.
    Maybe a different kind of anxiety i suppose.
    I had electrocardiogram, echo cardio, and other stuff and was ok, so they rulled out hear troubles.

13. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    @ 4chmob did you read my post on page 1 ?

I started with anxiety and panic attacks after smoking too much weed when i was younger, (I'm still only 30) that was like 10 yrs ago now, but I completely got over it.

In nutshell I changed my lifestyle - stopped smoking, went to the gym, joined a sports team..... all the things i should have been doing aged 20, not smoking dope.
    But the thing what really helped me were the anti-depressants my doc prescribed me. (Cipramil i think)
    Although I never had depression she told me that is was closely linked to anxiety - the uncontrollable type I had, eg panic attacks for no reason at night (first caused by weed, then the fear of them causing me to have them).

Anyway...... complete success took the pills for 6ths or so, although the panic attacks stopped within weeks or even days, and i began to sleep and feel more like myself again, not the worried/tired/anxious person i'd become because of these panic attacks.

I passed my Uni degree just after this time with full honours, which i never would have done if i'd have done nothing about my problem.
    Since then not once have i ever even had the thought of a panic attack and my job as a firefighter puts me in some very tricky situations.

I just posted this because i know its just my story and everyone is different, but you can and will beat it.
    Although its horrible now start to do some positive things about it and light will appear at the end of the tunnel you may feel your in now.

14. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    The anxiety condition that affects me is mainly due to the way my brain remembers memories due to right frontal and right temporal lobe strokes. The accessing of memory runs a route through parts of my brain that tinge almost all memories with anxiety. Regardless of any memory pre-accident, they all make me grind my teeth and make my pulse increase. The bad ones (memories) are almost frightful.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    this is simply a general anxiety often caused by stress, for example you had 1-2 days where you had to work harder or you didn't sleep enough, even stuff you do (like gaming) can unknowingly cause stress so you get this type of anxiety shortly after these things are over or even a few days later, a good night sleep and rest will make it go away without a problem but occasionally the symptoms might last 1-2 days and they happend once or twice every month.

this is the way the body fights the stress and nothing to worry about, you certainly don't need anti-anxiety meds for this, what you need is to turn off your cell phone and lie down in bed or go out and take a walk (alone) somewhere like a park with no iPod playing rock or beat music (which increases adrenaline), also don't watch horror or action movies at home and avoid coffee or cocacola (contains caffeine), simply avoid anything that might excite you for a few hours, take it easy and relax completely, the symptoms will go away, not only this is beneficial it also regenerates your energy and you'll feel better. ;)

16. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    i have panic attacks because of my toxic goiter.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    If I get them at home I usually go for a relaxing thee and a brainless movie :p

Though those that really want some medications, like I said, try that Lysanxia. It's not something you have to take continuesly, it works straight away. For instance, when you get severe anxiety attacks when having to speak in front of people, just take it about an hour to half an hour before speaking infront of these people.

I get them randomly, regardless of the situation, I only take those pills when I'm in a situation as described above. Not that speaking in front of people causes anxiety for me, but I just DON'T want it to happen in a situation like that.

18. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    That must be it, because all my "attacks" were in fact after some stress.
    The come out of nowhere most of the time like when i´m just relaxing, but i have to take half a pill of Ethyl loflazepate to sleep, otherwise the symptoms wont let me rest.
    Hal a pill and i wake up feeling like resurrected Jesus:) aka great.

19. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    how often do you use meds to counter anxiety and panic attacks? ive tried alprazolam (xanor 5mcg) and it really helped me sleep continuously, uninterrupted for about 5-6 hrs. really helped alot...

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I get them frequently, along with abdominal pain; as a result of prescription drugs that I was on a year ago. My advice is to just say no to the drugs. I'm just using my mind and relaxation techniques to counter it. The one thing that always works for me, is excercise. ;)