Asus xonar DX and logitech z5500

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Ji1986, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Hi all

I bought a asus xonar dx some time ago, and am very impressed,

although i just started playing Mass effect 2 the other day and there voices are really low and i can barely hear them. I checked the ingame settings and everything was fine,

I ended up changing the effect on the z5500 for 6ch direct audio and that worked a charm,

My question would be what is the best settings I should use on both the speakers and the xonar dx? should i leave my z5500 on 6ch direct?

Thanks

2. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    Yeah, my settings are:
    6ch direct audio on Logitech Console, Game Mode with DS3D GX 2.0 in DSP mode on Asus Xonar DX Audio Center, Sampling rate to 96Khz.
    Works beautifully.
    Btw, upgrade to the latest Xonar Dx drivers. :)

3. Axkingz

Axkingz Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4000 / GT 650M
    I have my Z5500 on 6ch direct as well. However, remember to set the different channels on the speakers correctly (center, surround etc...)

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    just keep your logitech z5500 on 6 ch and you'll be fine

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    6 channel direct is the proper setting as the Z-5500 are not adding anything just routing the sound card directly to the amplifier.

Just make sure all the channels identify properly when using channel tests and you have Flexbass enabled to get a proper bass signal sent to the sub input.

6. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    ^^errr...FlexBass actually cuts off the Bass reproduction. Its suggested to have it disabled, when user already have a giant 10" thumping Woofer! FlexBass option is for those who want to enhance low frequency effects on small sized speakers!
    Totally unnecessary thing. I'd suggest to turn off SVN too! Takes away the sound quality abruptly.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    errr...NO, flex bass is simple bass redirection to filter the bass away from the satellites to the subwoofer....not the other way around. It is bass redirection and it is for systems with smaller satellites and dedicated subwoofers.
    If you have one of these cards and do not have bass redirection enabled you would be preventing your system from producing bass as it should. Without bass redirection, the subwoofer output from the card is DEAD....no signal goes to the subwoofer from the card. Perhaps you should re-read the supplied information and get your system set up properly. It must sound pretty bad with no dedicated bass signal as it should have.
    BTW, nobody mentioned turning on SVN.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  8. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    I just got the Z-5500. All I can say is wow! :). I leave it on 6ch direct and played around a bit with my sound card equalizer. I also brought down the sub a little bit and increased the surround by 1. It will still take some tuning to get perfect I'm I am very happy with them for now.

9. Matas

Matas Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 6950 2GB@990/6300
    ROBSCIX, playing with bass redirection, what settings (small/large) I should use for satellites and what about crossover frequency? H6 + Gigaworks S750.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They should be considered small because they cannot produce the full amount of bass that is the subwoofers job. You want the Flexbass to filter lower bass away from your smaller satellite speaker to the subwoofer that can handle it.

11. Matas

Matas Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 6950 2GB@990/6300
    Hmm.., when I set satellites to small, the sub becomes very boomy even at 50Hz crossover frequency. At large setellite settings bass is softer and much more natural.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you try turning down the sub level?
    Your system has small sats....so if you are getting too much bass your level is set too high.

13. Matas

Matas Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 6950 2GB@990/6300
    Yeh, lowering the sub level did the trick. Min sub level + 70Hz crossover sounds acceptable. Now I have in right way produced bass:)

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Exactly. If you leave off the bass redirection, your sub will NOT be producing the proper frequencies and levels of bass SO, to compensate people turn the sub up way too loud.

This is so far off from setting it up properly. When it is not set right, you are missing much of your mid bass region and you get nothing but low bass and treble.

Glad you got it set right.

15. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    Why would i want to do that? Z5500 doesn't have puny satellites! :p

A THX system is specifically designed to have the bass management set at 80Hz. While you are free to alter the crossover frequency of a THX system, you will not be utilizing the system as it was intended to be heard!

Who said that? Did you read it somewhere? Coz, i've been using my system without FlexBass since i purchased it. And the bass reproduction is perfect. No where close to DEAD! :p

I've been setting up sound systems for a while now pal, and always read supplied info with it. Thanks for reminding me again though! :D
    And nope, the System sounds just awesome, without Flex-Bass, "not the other way around"! :p

Its enabled by default. Thats why, i mentioned turning it off!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Those sats cannot produce mid and low bass...they are considered SMALL speakers. I never used the word "puny"
    but the frequency response is what is important and that is what you are setting here.
    I am well aware of the specs of a THX system and that is all well and fine but if the bass redirection is NOT enabled you will not have the proper signals going to the subwoofer. It won't matter what the system crossover is set for. The system is not working as designed and intended.

Yes, using it incorrectly. I would think your sub is turned way to high and you have no dedicated subwoofer signal going to the system from the card.
    I never said the sub is dead, I said the cables that goes from the card to the subwoofer...(dedicated subwoofer channel) is dead. You will still have some bass
    as the system uses the sub to compensate for the fact your sats are limited frequency and being sent full spectrum sound. So this is the limited bass your getting and your sub is probably turned up way too loud. Yahhh Boost 22!
    Not to mention your system has no dedicated LFE effect for gaming or movies. Again, what do you think the sub cables is for? Your's is for looks I guess because you're not using it for anything right now.
    Really? because it seems like you are making novice mistakes, and do not understand how these systems work...pal. I would love to hear your definition of "awesome"..LOL!
    as your system is not even working as designed. I know exactly how that system sounds when setup like that. System like your is where the bad opinion of those system having bloated bass comes from.

If you don't want to listen to others, that is fine and If you think it sounds good, Hey, that is all that matters.....imagine how good it would sound if it was set up properly though?
    Another sad fact of your system is you are slowly burning out your sats sending them too much bass that they are not designed to handle. You are also using your sub to compensate
    for incorrect setup..which is not good either.
    Do you think the system has a subwoofer signal cable for nothing?
    Think about it, Your sub cable and dedicated sub channel is not working at all so how do you figure that is the right way to use the system?

You're not the first person to set up their system like this based on inexperience or bad information.
    However, do what you want, I was only trying to help you get the best sound possible and set the system up as designed and intended.
    If you want to use your system incorrectly, by sending the wrong frequency to your sats and have a washed out,bloated, incorrect bass signal...that is your choice.
    Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  17. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    My frnd, I would be the last person to do that. Thnx to Guru3D and experienced users like you. Seriously! :)
    I know what i am doing. And have done same on many other systems too. They've been doing all good for all these years now. My friends and clients are happy and thats my definition of "Awesome"!

Buddy, please pardon me, if my last reply was inappropriate. I didnt mean to change discussion into argument. I'll still stand by what i said. Turning off "Flex Bass" doesnt mean that there is no feed to sub from sound card. I totally disagree. And just read what you are saying!
    Flex Bass is an optional setting for the basic form of bass management. A process of cross-feeding a low-frequency part of the sound spectrum from sats to a LFE! Mostly used on audio receivers. Z5500 is a THX certified product, i.e. the audio processing and DSP assumes (and sometimes initiates) an 80Hz crossover setting for the LFE. And which is FYI hardwired! Altering the cross over is never recommended on any THX. Any sort of alterations is purely dependent upon user and varies with their perspectives.
    This is why, Flex-Bass setting is an optional one on Asus soundcards. And by default switched off.
    I cant imagine, how can you even make a theory of bass feeding to sub based on LFE crossover. Sats are never meant to produce low frequencies. They mostly operate over 120Hz frequencies. And yeah even i know Z5500 sats doesnt emit low end frequencies. They produce both mid and high-range frequencies quite well. Btw, i am also using Z5500D with my DVD player. And sorry to say, but they sound all fine to me. And no, there aint any crossover setting on it. It isnt even on many onboard soundcards. I wonder how those users will be enjoying their systems without any Bass. Coz, as per you they all will be using listening or either damaging it or may be listening on 22 Boost Levels!! lolllzz...
    Aint anything happening like this here buddy. Nobody is listening on Boost 22. Atleast i am not. And no, even after an year of thumping, my 5500 sounds just fine and gr8.
    Far from being washed out, bloated or producing incorrect bass signals.
    See, doing what they are supposed to do. Getting the best sound possible from my system and using it as designed and intended for. And that is "Awesome" as it sounds to me.

May be you're confused with LFE crossover settings buddy. I am again saying the same i've said before.... "Flex Bass setting is an optional one and is recommended to switch off on Z5500D. And no, switching off Flex-Bass never ever means that there is no feed to LFE. In fact it has absolutely nothing to do with bass reproduction."

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well if you say so.

I know what I am saying. Without bass redirection your sub output will be dead. Check the output from the card. Bass redirection is used in surround sound systems. Without it, full frequency will go to the sats and nothing will go to the subwoofer.
    Flexbass is just a name for normal bass redirection. Yes it filters low frequencies away from smaller speakers that cannot produce it to the subwoofer that can produce the bass. Yes the system can have an internal
    crossover also...you can just set the cards crossover to the same point.
    it is an optional setting because not everybody is using the same type of system. Some people use full range fronts. rears...etc.
    Funny, I just said that! Your small sats are not meant to produce the lower signals.
    if there is a subwoofer output then you have a fixed crossover point. I thought you had a clue what you were talking about?
    Seems like it is a good indication of what you have there...
    Well that that is all that matters.
    Well if you think it is an optional setting, what do you have to lose by trying it the way I suggested?
    Enable your bass redirection and set to 80hz and I bet you have way too much bass right? -that's because your sub is too high.
    Now drop the level down until the bass is at a balanced point.
    Now listen to some music that you know and trim the system a bit better.
    That is the way I have always set them up.
    It is not an optional setting if you are using a 5.1 system with limited frequency sats. It is mandatory or else you are using your sub incorrectly.

Anyway, try it or don't try it... What do you have to lose.
    Let's move on....

Set your system up how you like. If it sounds good to you, that is the most importnat thing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  19. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    hmm. Well, no harm in trying it out. Pardon me again, if i sounded harsh.
    Ok, my friend! I tried moving the slider to 70hz. I'll say that the bass is more responsive. That unnecessary boom gets quite now.
    But, doing this i lose bass in movies. I mean, that boom actually makes this system so nice in movies. Ok, here is what i did...
    Moved the slide all the way down to Lowest frequency, i.e. 50hz. Set Left Right Fronts and Left Right Rears as small and center as large. I would'nt say that there is any difference.

Here are the few things i noticed:
    1. Bass reproduction is tight and sounds accurate.
    2. Yeah! Sats now sound more clean as low frequencies are now being cut-off to sub.
    3. Ok, listening to some particular mp3s tracks and music videos which have quite higher bass notes like "Salt Shaker" or Edward Maya's "Stereo Love", the woofer emits popping and crackling kind sound. I mentioned the song names, just to give an idea that songs like these create crackling sound from sub.

The crackles happens on these pre-conditions:-
    (a) The Z5500D volume is at 80-90%. Three dots remain in "main" volume level.
    (b) Subwoofer level shows three dots remaining and both center and surround shows two remaining.
    (c) Crackles happen specifically when listening to particular tracks with tight and punchy bass responses not the boomy ones like in movies.

Btw, thanks again for the suggestion buddy. :)
    I tried, but mentioned the issues that i faced. Can you help in the context?

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I said move the slider to about 80 to 100...if you set it below your internal X-over your filtering bass away from the sub...if you understand what I mean. Setting your sats large and the X-over all the way down is basically the same thing you had before! -That's why you notice no difference.

Your post is a bit confusing. Did you set it as I suggested or did you re-set it as you said, with the crossover set below 50 and the sats set to large?
    I am trying to figure out what condition you are getting the popping in.

Wait, is your system connected through digital or analog?

To note, I am not trying to come off argumentative either. Just trying to help you get the best sound possible.
    If you try the settings and do not like them....fine. Go back to what you had before and enjoy.
    To note, if you set your sats for large and use the bass redirection. This may be where the issue is coming from.
    The way I have always understood it is the Z's have "small" sats.
    Anyway, trying to help...
    You have my advice and your advice and the answers may be somewhere in between!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.