ATI Catalyst 10.7 accelerate video playback in VLC Media Player

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by arcon, Jun 30, 2010.

1. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Lowers your CPU usage, provides flawless and stutter-free playback on HD-videos (especially on weaker CPU's), MPC-HC provides also various filters that are calculated by your GPU offloading the CPU (eg. deinterlace, smart sharpen, etc.).

2. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
  3. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    If you are on a Laptop, could add up to hour of battery life because the CPU will be almost at 0%. It's nothing for the GPU to process HD playback, it wont even heat up.

4. [Shadowcat]

[Shadowcat] Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4890
    I wonder, are the settings the same for Win 7 x64 then for Vista? Cuz i followed the guide from Hilbert Hagedoorn and my cpu load is still somewhere between 10 to 15% when i play mkv files.

I must be doing something wrong.

5. LuxZg

LuxZg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4890
    I just wanted to say that MPC-HC ain't "almighty" as everyone say it is.. I can play most of videos in WMP on Win 7 without using 3rd party player. And those that I can't play smoothly in WMP, they won't play smoothly in MPC-HC either. GPU on or off, doesn't matter. If you want to check how your CPU/GPU copes with video playback, try this video (69MB!) for example.. There are many more samples available here as well.

I'm looking forward to ATI/VLC combo, as it gives you more choice. Some will use it, some won't, but I see nothing bad at VLC supporting all cards with GPU playback. And if it will work 100% smooth for these 50p/60p videos, than I'll use it - that's certain.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  6. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    mts are not GPU accelerated with MPC-HC yet and with WMP nothing is GPU accelerated.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148591

7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Ah no, that isn't true.

WMP12 under W7 does use DXVA.

8. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Ah, my life is complete now. :)

9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    last time i checked, wmp12 only does dxva for wmv files?

i prefer mpchc. run it with ffdshow and the frame interpolation script, and its 60fps of awesomeness for most videos!

although the downside is that it relies on your cpu to run frame interpolation because ati stream isnt really supported by anything yet.

10. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Nope.

While you need something like the Haali Media Splitter to play matroska-contained H.264 in WMP it does offload those as well.

I've heard mentioned several other formats as well but frankly I only really play H.264 and mpeg2 content myself.

I used to rely on MPC-HC as well but after moving to W7 I found the great out-of-the-box codec support, DXVA support and most importantly the much improved UI of WMP12 good enough reasons to stick with it.

MPC-HC isn't bad, certainly not, but I have no personal need for it anymore.

11. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    Ouch at least I won't get my upgrades with an ATI card till next year. Hopefully by then the drivers will have matured enough to be just as good as Nvidia drivers.

12. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    I've heard about this "frame interpolation" and 60fps. But never tried it. Someone said it causes blur effects on fast moving scenes.
    But do tell more. What do you use and how do you set it up? :nerd:

13. edigee

edigee Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 960/GT 820M
    No, It's not true: WMP12 uses W7 Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder which allows DXVA for H264. DXVA works properly as long as WMP12 doesn't load VS filter for subtitles. In that case DXVA is broken indeed. If you want DXVA in WMP12 plus subtitles you must use the ffdshow H264 DXVA decoder wich has it's own subtitle filter. AFAIK is pretty tricky to make WMP12 to load ffdshow instead of the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder ,but you might give it a try.

14. LuxZg

LuxZg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4890
    I'm not sure why would anything be complicated with WMP12 + W7.. I've just installed Shark's codec pack, and 64bit components as well, and all files play smoothly in WMP12, including subtitles and everything. Except aforementioned 1080/60p MTS/M2TS files, that don't play smoothly in MPC-HC or current VLC builds either. Actually, they play smooth in VLC 1.1.0 in software mode, which can't be said for MPC-HC.. At least on my computer.

15. HOBORG

HOBORG New Member

GPU:
    What about SAF? Have all you need for perfect video playback ;-)

16. Shinshin

Shinshin Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4670
    that Ken Ross 1080/60p MTS/M2TS video that is linked played flawlessly on my computer with DXVA.

Installed only haali mkv splitter and ac3filter for audio.
    using the internal win7 media foundation for decoding...
    on 64 bit using 32 bit WMP.

MPC-HC struggles a bit (a skip or two), but is DXVAed...

17. sgtheadhole

sgtheadhole Active Member

GPU:
    XFX ATi Radeon 5770

^^^^epic win|^^^^ vlc is like wtf

18. sandz

sandz Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX570 DCII
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  19. Riemen01

Riemen01 Member

GPU:
    2x 5770 CFX + GTX 260 PPU
    It works...

Can't say much about performance, because I have a quad cor i7. Playing a 1080p mkv even without GPU acceleration, I only have ~5% CPU usage. with it enabled it seems to be lowered to ~2-3%...

20. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Where can hardware accelaration be enabled in VLC 1.1.1? I can´t find it...