Best guitarists ever

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by alanm, Jul 4, 2010.

1. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
  2. jadesocket

jadesocket Active Member

GPU:
    DIAMOND ATI 5770
    seconded.
    i don't think i can think of a better guitarist other than say a classical guitarist (which in my book is a different type of musician).
    he makes jason becker look like a wanker, and i LOVE jason becker.

3. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist imo. Sure he didn't have fast play or anything besides chords and solo, but those chords and solos are some of the most catchiest that I've heard. Each one matches the mood of the song that he has. Plus you have to add in that he's also singing.

4. Avefenix

Avefenix Guest

GPU:
    xfx 8800GtX
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^^ holy sht you gurus are catching on:)

thats the first time i ever seen another guru put al D in one of these threads.

race with the devil is one of my favs...live it kicks ass they go all improv and sht ...n when he got together with johny mac and paco de lucia....
    holy sht a site to behold and feast for the ears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ&feature=related

6. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Yep...but his music isn't that accessible, even though he can play anything you throw at him and then improvise circles around it. It's good that Allan Holdsworth has been mentioned...a true pioneer and a big influence to all the legato nuts, but no one seems to have the energy to listen to his stuff anymore. And Tommy Emmanuel is ridiculously good on acoustics.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    both those guys are up there too imho
    i seen Allan Holdsworth with larry coryell(sp?horns) was great show

8. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    Depends on how you define it. Many opinions are varied on the subject.

Fastest, in my opinion, is between Michael-Angelo Batio, and Herman Li from Dragon Force.

But overall, in my opinion, Jason Becker is the greatest guitar player ever. Speed, and technicality. Best of all, he was 17 years old when he was better than anybody. then of course he got Lou Gherig's disease, and is now completely paralyzed. So sad. :(

9. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstrea
    MAB is fast, but Herman Li isn't on the same level as him, Paul Gilbert, Ron Thal or any of those people. They're all sort of the elite guitarists. Herman Li's just another guitarist. He''s certainly not got the speed of these guys, and in terms of technique he's even further behind.

I'd also have to suggest someone that I'm disappointed no one has mentioned. Guthrie Govan. He's absolutely insane at guitar playing. He can play pretty much any style well, and can imitate pretty much any other guitarist.

Here's a song I like of his, not that emotional or anything, but it's a good demonstration of his pure technical ability. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J503OvHWKko

Here's a video of him playing like a load of other guitarists (read the description). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXk2ZrgcQM

EDIT: He has been mentioned, my mistake. I read this thread last night before he had, and then just went onto page two today. Sorry.

10. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510

11. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    He has been mentioned.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, I agree on "depends on how you define it". Jason Becker is probably the fastest guitarist I ever heard, but most of what he's doing here is moving his fingers rapidly. And the notes are hit in a quite predictable fashion. It looks like a speed show designed to impress, I dont find it musical. I prefer something more original and unique.

The vast majority of the great guitarists are nearly all imitable (even Hendrix). How many times have I seen pub bands or small town groups covering for the great bands and getting the lead guitar down pat to the last detail.

Now find me ANY guitarist that can imitate the style of Jeff Beck (as in the OP clip). Its exceedingly difficult to finger pluck an electric guitar never mind with speed and total unpredictability of his unique style (his plucking hand seems to contort in the most incredible ways to get this type of sound). I think I've seen only 2 or 3 other pluckers (Mark Knopfler is one) but they're all totally different than Beck.

13. zoso_the_hippy

zoso_the_hippy Master Guru

GPU:
    4 evga 3gb 580's liquid
    Jimmy Page:)

14. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    so what did the OP mean by best?
    fastest or the one whose influence has reached the most?

15. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Man one of the perks in living in the county of essex...pop down to Chelmsford on thursdays to the old basement club to see him play.....its insane =]

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Gilmour and Bellamy.

17. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Best in your own personal opinion and in whatever criteria you think applies. ;)

19. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Lots of great guitarist mentioned in this thread but my all time favorite (and most influential to me and my guitar playing) is George Lynch. He's not the fastest, most technically proficient, or anything like that, but I just love his "style" and he has had some of the best guitar tones throughout his career that I ever heard. In my opinion of course.

20. Kovoet

Kovoet Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080Ti
    I have a few favourites but they play the Guitar differently
    Gary Moore - On his own and with Thin Lizzy
    Jimmy Page - Led Zepplin
    Joe Satriani - On his own
    Tom Scholtz - Boston
    Manny Charlton - Nazareth
    Neil "Spyder" Giraldo - Guitarist for Pat Benatar
    Mick Ralphs - Bad Company