Ageing PC Win7 or XP

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by redm, Jul 1, 2010.

1. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Hey guys, i need to reinstall the OS on one of my old rigs. Since i own both Win7 and XP i want to ask you which one fits better. Personally i think i should go with Win7 because it´s newer, but i don´t know if my hardware is bit out of date to handle it well. You can see the specs at my profile.
    Thx in advance.

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well I put Win 7 64bit Pro on my Old PC (Pentium D [dual core] 3.0ghz, 1GB ram etc.), and it can't handle it at all. Keeps locking up and crashing. Is down to the lack of ram though as my dad has the same PC but 3GB Ram and that's fine, anyway if it has 1GB Ram I'd put XP on. I'm going to have to wipe this PC and put XP back on it.

3. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Thx for your reply. The PC actually has 2GB Ram.

4. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    My brother runs Windows 7 x86 elegantly with a system nearly identical to yours (Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 2GB DDR2, EVGA 8800GS). Before he was running it with only 1GB of RAM and the performance was still perfectly fine.

5. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Thx guys.

6. dshramek

dshramek Guest

My father-in-law is running Windows 7 pro on his P4 2.8, 2g Ram, & a nvidia 5200 & it runs fine. We have Aero turned off due to the lack of graphics drivers for such an old card, but it runs just fine, otherwise.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I would go for Win 7 with that setup. I just recently put together an old machine (2.8Ghz Northwood, 1GB OCZ DDR, ATI 9600, Maxtor 30gb, ASUS P4S800D-X) and it actually works great under Win 7 x86. So put my vote under the "Win 7" category.

8. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I have win 7 32 bit on an year 2000 compaq laptop. It runs it ok, use it as a web, office doc machine so, I am sure it would die with games of any sort, lol.

Overall I enjoy win 7 on older computers, runs ok and is able to keep old junk current with little problems. Plus you get full support, XP support is over.

9. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Windows 7 can run fully on almost any netbook, so it should run on almost any modern machine.

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    2gb ram = enuf for win7 x86. Specially if not gaming.

11. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    Yup Win 7 FTW. As long as your CPU >1 GHZ and your ram >1 GB it can run win 7.
    But with your spec, it'll run win 7 beautifully.
    you can install x64 version and add another 2GB of RAM and enjoy the computing experience!

12. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Thanks to all.

13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I'd probably use TinyXP...I wish microsoft made these kinds of versions.

14. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Your suggestions induced me to do a double install of Xp and Win7. I installed Dragon Age: Origins on both, no other apps but drivers. To my surprise i get approximately 55 fps using XP and merely 30 with Win7. I will test now with some other games.