AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    The best keeps getting better, thank you TWL. These are the only "modded" drivers I use any more.

I'll report back how my update goes.

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @GaBBa-Gandalf

Well, I've written the topic 50 times by now. atm, whole install process fits in ~20 lines and takes you exactly 1 minute to read, 10 mouse clicks
    and 2 key presses to complete with everything. I'd say, if I say 'read the instructions' I try to keep flawless for everyone here to complete correctly ain't too much to ask.

@Sevenz

Yep, I was trying 10.4b-a, 10.5a & 10.6 officials a lot to see is there anything really that these drivers wouldn't process better. Atm, I ain't too
    sure this 10.5a feels good, but cannot fix the DX9 processing in full since there haven't been any version since 10.4b which would be even near
    the processing speed and these new ones are absolutely horrible to CPU, but don't want to turn back to 10.4b either now that I got the basic
    functionality working bare able to control panels & how the driver actually functions in real situations.

Not much room to improve, atm, build I mean until something new comes around.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. GaBBa-Gandalf

GaBBa-Gandalf Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD6970 2GB
    Means for DX9 Games it would be better to use v3.00?
    Is it possible to combinate the code from 10.4a/b with 10.6 for an optimal processing speed?

EDIT

i read somewhere that the High-AF wouldn't function anymore with the newer generation of ati-cards ... it is an old function for the X1000 series...

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    nope, this would A. break CFX setups B. multiple monitor setups. It would be 'better', if the concept would be build in to the old. it could basically
    improve single card performance sure (Like v3.00 v10.4a build), but in all sense that again would break new applications support pretty
    dramatically which even now I am a bit skeptic should I try to improve those or leave the good processing in drivers.

Ideally IF the <new unknown> driver would allow an CFX acceleration both to DX9 and DX11 & still process through OpenGL correctly and that
    would have improved processing to CPU/Secondary GPU processing that would do the best (hopefully 10.7), but as long they improve thin air in
    ATI driver team it ain't gonna happen.

Well paritially correct as the current AF is very damn good seeing the difference begins to be hard, but it's there you can trust on that. Honestly
    speaking I think when this was designed it was though to be like 'Catalyst AI for AF'.

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    <moved>

6. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    Reporting back:

My install went pretty smoothly this time, no errors like last time. I see now that last time I left out a step. The step I left out was to keep deleting drivers and scanning for hardware changes until only VGA remained. This time I did it correctly. I had to scan three times, and when I finally did hit VGA, my monitor reset and my desktop went to 640x480.

There are a few extra steps I took too that are not in the instructions.
    1) To be safe and start clean, I uninstalled Realtek HDMI drivers.
    2) In Device Manager I uninstalled/deleted the ATI HDMI Audio Driver until only the generic driver remained when scanning for changes.
    3) The **** cleaner doesn't seem to completely finish the job. After cleaning, I opened the log file and there were three registry entries listed. I manually deleted those entries from the registry. When I re-ran the cleaner it said nothing remained to be cleaned. (There were a handful of entries remaining in the registry and I left those.)
    The cleaner also opens a Windows folder with lots of drivers in it. I'm not sure what to do there so I left it alone.
    4) I deleted all ATI folders from C:\, C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Sevenz

1-2) HDMI driver should not be removed it'll be fine (unless updated and even there you can just update over). Of course it doesn't harm anything.
    3) the cleaner does the job as much it can. Manual registry entries (or files in system) are there for purpose I cannot safely identify Video card GUID's so user either leaves them, uses the 'Y' in CMD to open and/or manually goes and cleans them.
    4) there should not be ATI folders in neither of 'program files' weird, if the clean up left any and there shouldn't be 'C:\ATI' or 'C:\AMD' folders anyway, those are installation paths and left there by user mistake for not cleaning old installations (although, I could of add them, but since they are not part of installation left them out).

Nice to hear everything went smoothly this time and yeah the VGA display is tricky when ATI keeps pushing 'update update update' when in the end it's user fault, if there's extra drivers in their system to mess up. :)

@commonly

gonna take a look on the 8.742 tomorrow. I hear they've updated OGL etc see, if that driver would have any decency on other stuff, but it's same set
    so won't fly on CFX very well, anyway, anything new at this stage is always welcome.

uhh, I'd watch the 8.742 installation a bit, if someone takes a shot. This CCC panel in this one doesn't look very friendly, but if someone tests these on over 3 GPU CFX setup please let me know how does these do on Dirt 2 or GRID.

8. marthand

marthand Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850+Nvidia 8800GTS
    By this catalyst Modified build we can get Nvidia GPU is also used like lucid hydra hybrid SLI

9. Mr Dohz

Mr Dohz Active Member

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    Hi everyone , is it better to leave the ATI Overdrive locked in the CCC ?
    Or it is better to leave it unlocked ?

:)

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Okay, so I've decided to use these drivers. Which set do you recommend me using, the latest build, or the 3.00 build? Or something else? Each build seems to be geared for certain setups if I am not mistaken.

11. drutort

drutort Active Member

GPU:
    AMD FirePro V5900
    not quite the lucid hydra will do hybrid SLI this will only let you use the nvidia card for physx nothing like SLI or crossfire

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, was just thinking this through. Hydra hybrid actually does rendering through all cards while automatically this driver alone does not. Of course
    this will allow you to do all from OpenCL, Card diagnostics etc etc, but that ain't rendering. I wonder, if I would code an hook to 'fake' the NVIDIA <any>
    to be an ATI <scaled> for applications(Using something like OpenCL to punch through game code) would that actually fly and if 'in theory' this
    would be coded & functional would it only work in exact same power scale cards.

But I don't think I have skill to create such hook driver and no where near probably in performance scaling. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  13. drutort

drutort Active Member

GPU:
    AMD FirePro V5900
    well if you can give that nvidia card something else to do besides physx or when there is none present any load to the card to get some performance would be awesome i think by anyone's standards :) and might spark interest of other individuals to join in on such endeavor?

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, but sounds more of an work to someone like Unwinder(who would never release such even, if he had one) or W1zzard(Not sure does this
    fellow even build hooks in his apps) and I'd give best bet to 'ToMMTi 3D Systems' they at least has some level of understanding, although, their
    tools(like 3D Analyzer is pretty close, but old) would have to take quick guide of GPU computing. :pc1:

Also to consider the whole idea it might be too much stress to primary GPU to do this, but sure I have some idea in my head how this might be
    able to be pulled clean off with drivers. It's just not something you wanna build and dump to BSOD test public straight up, lol.

:backfire:

15. drutort

drutort Active Member

GPU:
    AMD FirePro V5900
    sounds like a nice project to have on the side with a closed group of individuals and to either land yourself into an awesome job or to land yourself into a heap of trouble from both fronts in legal stuff LOL... ah choices choices lol

well my comp sci dreams (esp crashed after i hit asm class LOL) are long gone and i moved on and now have mfg eng bs degree hehe

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Commonly

yeah, speaking of degrees seems this 8.742.0 driver (the new 10.6 beta) is pretty near pile of sh1t. Nothing new no improvements and nothing still ain't working. As I
    looked topics there D3D9 might have some advantage and I haven't tested the 'driver' yet against how it performs or does CFX thread now both D3D9/10/11, but
    by look of it just "quickly" looks like this driver has nothing new.

According to fellow who brings some drivers around usually we should wait for another pile with Catalyst 10.7, lol. Doesn't sound too promising.

I wonder how damn hard it is to ATI driver team to take a look on specific releases they have made and see what is wrong.

Example:
    * CAL DD was good up to 10.4b(the old releases). What went wrong?
    * GTK/GTP was good on 10.3b and after that only functional release was 10.4a. What went wrong?
    * OpenCL doesn't work for ANYTHING <multi> after those releases. What went wrong?
    * Vista Mode driver: Last functional build is v10.4b with any decency on processing where you screwed up on 10.3b which was twice the processing speed what your current 10.4/10.5/10.6 gives. What went wrong?
    * OpenGL driver screwed up after 10.4a everything after that developed 'new' OGL 4.0 is bad so separate the damn code.
    * D3D9 on 10.4a (new builds of 10.4) 'allows' threads the DX9 correctly while v10.5-v10.5a works with CFX and 10.6 only single cards improvements.
    * D3D10/11 only will 'allow' thread on 10.6 driver series and none of them works for CFX. Newest seems to be pure crap this I would run faster to get the 3D objects on screen. What went wrong?

It's actually getting pretty hilarious to even look that list as those are ALL primary functions of GPU, lol. Those all are fixed on current build v3.17 on some level, but the fact that ATI driver team can't get the damn code corrected even while they are being listed of errors with correctly working solutions is just 'amazing'. I don't know much about coding, but even I could read that much.

-edit-

and now testing the 'semi-official' v8.742.0 (10.6 beta) drivers:
    [​IMG]

(System is exact same clocks exact same setup. HD5850+9800GTX clocked as high as they go clean as in every other screenshot previously
    and as before there are no background processing at all system is waited to be in total IDLE state.
    Funny thing it actually on these shows 'OpenCL' for both GPUs correctly (but GPU-Z was updated to v0.44. So, that probably is the main reason).)

-UPDATE-

[​IMG]

yep, lol.. once again fine "release". As soon Catalyst doesn't understand another active monitor = instant crash and without another monitor = no
    OpenCL. had no attachments while the vantage screen was taken so that explains why GPU-Z did see the OpenCL.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  17. marthand

marthand Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850+Nvidia 8800GTS
    If u make a driver that utilizes both GPUs at least CUDA Makes awesome.

18. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Another thought TwL. How feasible would it be to run Cuda exclusive effects in games like Just Cause on a secondary Nvidia card similar to hybrid physx?

19. marthand

marthand Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850+Nvidia 8800GTS
    Is it possible to use ram of Nvidia Carrd

20. Rodaxx

Rodaxx Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290x DD
    asking this myself, if i enable overdrive the gpu will always run in overdrive mode and wont go in 2d mode.
    if i disable overdrive: 2d mode runs until 3d app is starting - gpu then runs in default clock settings.

that's a bug i guess.

overdrive clock settings should only kick in in 3d mode and not always