DDR400 Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guinness, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    Hey there.

Some of you may have seen the ordeal I went through with changing out my case. Fortunately, I figured it out (with help) and it's up and running now.

So, I installed new mem. I had 4x512 of DDR400, but one stick went bad a while back. So, I was left with 2 (to get dual), but only 1 gig.

So, I bought new mem. Cheap nowadays, right? But I only got 2x1gb of DDR400. When I upgrade to Win7, I'll pick up another 2 sticks... OR just redo the system altogether.

Anyways... to my question. With my board, I tried (and succeeded) to reset my cmos. Unecessary move, but I was trying anything to get my board to come back to life. So, when I finally got it up and running, I had to change my bios (Award v6.00PG). Problem is, I didn't remember all the settings.

I want to make sure I have my mem set correctly and I'm getting the most (don't want to OC it, necessarily)... just want to make sure it's running as it should (stock).

Should I use SiSoft to see the timings, etc...? Or is there another way to check (something in Windows)? Watching the startup screen goes by too fast to really check. And, it's been so long since I've tweaked my comp, that I forget what's important to note.

Suggestions, as always, are welcome. :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. crazylocha

crazylocha Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    When you go to Win 7, do yourself the favor and upgrade Mobo/CPU/Ram. Will be worth it totally.

CPU-Z, can tell you all kinds of info, including Mem settings, etc. Found on download section of Guru main page.

3. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    CPU-Z. I have that. Forgot all about it.

Thanks.

4. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    This look right?

Channels# Dual
    Type DDR-SDRAM
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Freq 200.9 MHz
    FSB:DRAM CPU/11
    CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (Tras) 6 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (Trc) 12 clocks
    DRAM Idle Timer 256 clocks

Name AMD Athlon 64 X2
    Code Name Toledo
    Package Socket 939
    Technology 0.09u
    Voltage 1.312v
    Clocks
    Core Speed 2210.2Mhz
    Multiplier x 11.0
    FSB 200.9 MHz

What's interesting is, I have Mem in Slot 2 and 4. Yet, on CPU-Z, it says my mem is in slot 3 & 4

I'm guessing that all looks correct. If you see anything I should change, please share. :)

THANKS

5. crazylocha

crazylocha Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Just my humble opinion. Yeah a Motherboard upgrade to at least DDR2 capable would do wonders for your speed.
    Just a possible upgrade NewEgg Biostar 790GXE If I am correct, this will take your CPU to max capabilities, if you include some DDR2-800. Minimal cost upgrade and would seem to fly in comparison.

The slot assignments were real wacky back in the socket 939 days. Used to have to stagger like that before case makers did serious improvements to airflows. Some were even worse, and had to do lots of trial and error in beginning of am2 days. Some manufacturers didn't even bother with manuals, let alone telling you which slots were which.

As far as timings go... been waaaaaay too long since played with that generation to be any value to you. Generally speaking they do look right.

6. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    For now, I'm not planning on changing my board/cpu/mem until I upgrade to Win7. Which probably won't be for another year. It'll make sense to do it all at once. If I upgrade my board 'n stuff now, I'd have to reload XP. So, why bother.

Today, I mainly do music/video editing, older games (CS:S), and of course word/excel. So, my setup works fine for that.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.