power problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bokloz, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    Hello everybody

Yesterday i upgraded my ocz platinium ram 1600 mhz to kingston hyper tx1 2000 mhz and got a pcie twinhan 1028 satellite card , and every thing was fine , then today i had this weird problem ,when i press the power button to turn on my pc it turn on and in one second it appear as it is going to shut down ,fans go slower ,lights fades ,then by itself it return to normal turn on again and the start up complete normally without any problems and there is no any problems while windows is running ,this do not happen when i restart my pc or when i shut it down and then turn it on immediatly ,it happen only when shut down for long time then turning on.

Sorry for being long but i would like to know the cause of the problem PSU or MOBO or else, my reg is shown on the left , TIA

Edit : here is a video of the problem ,watch the fan at the top i pressed the power button once and sorry for the low quality video !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdLKQCfOWSI

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Normally it does that kind of trick if I use an overclock thats unstable.
    I've had the same thing happen when I boot with a certain USB stick installed as well.

Once the overclock has been reset to default values (ie when it double boots, it does this itself), it doesnt do a double boot again.
    So your PC is unhappy with something else if it continues to do it.

Try unplugging everything you can and see if it is any better.

3. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    Thank you Mufflore but i am not overclocking anything more than yesterday when everything was fine and i also removed all the overclock and tried and the problem is still there , what else it could be ?? and is this double boot dangerous on the long run ??

4. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Should be a clear CMOS button on the back of your MOBO where the USB/Ethernet/mouse etc plugin hit that when its off, at least there is on my gigabyte board, anyhow should clear the CMOS and stop it looping

try that

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010

5. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    i do not have this button but i can clear the cmos will try that an report later thanks Illnino

any other suggestions ??

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The double boot isnt dangerous, it is a symptom of a problem.
    Did you try unplugging everything you can?

7. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    no i did not because i did not know what to remove

first i thought it was the new ram but it bassed memtest and everest stress test without errors or problems ,what else could cause this ??

oh i remembered now ,my new ram latency is 9-11-9-27 i tried to lower it to 9-9-9-24 and it failed also 9-9-9-27 and 9-11-9-24 so i reverted to specified latency ,i think the problem started after that ,could it be the cause and if it is how i can solve it ??

TIA

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes, it could well be your ram.
    Make sure the voltage is set correctly.

9. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    yes the voltage is set right and it passed the tests after my trial of lowering the timings , tomorrow i will try to clear cmos and see what happen ,thanks a lot ,will sleep now and report tomorrow

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I know this may seem simple and stupid, But have you checked the cables and connectors (to include button connections on the mainboard header) all around to make sure they are all connected tightly? From experience, the most common problems with PC repair/t-shooting have resulted in simple solutions/causes. But, that isn't always the case. Try with a different PSU and see if the same circumstances can be re-created. If not, then you have zeroed in....possibly. :)

11. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    I checked on cables the first thing and they are fine ,currently i do not have another PSU so i can not try this option but thanks for the help and this idea is not stupid by the way

12. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    Thank you all guys you were really helpful and a special thanks goes to Illnino

The problem has been solved by clearing cmos and doing the configuration again propably it was caused by my missing with the ram timings

thanks again everybody

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    See? It was a simple solution!

14. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    sadly after few starts the problem returned again i do not know what is happening ??

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you are now using the default speed and memory timings, you may have a faulty memory module.
    Try 1 at a time.

16. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    but they passed memtest without errors could they be faulty after that

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I've seen weirder things.
    Its up to you if you want to try and solve this with my methods, I wont be offended if you hang on for someone with a method you agree with better.

Those who are trying to help generally have a focus on certain things before they progress onto other things.
    I am very much a believer that most of the time everything will work and its most likely to be a configuration issue.
    However, I also take the stance that if its easy to completely rule out a large subset of potential issues with a simple test, that has its value as well. Especially if a lot of time is being spent on configuration issues when there is a hardware fault that is easy to find.
    Its very easy to test if the problem is due to a faulty memory module :)

18. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    ok thanks i will try this and report later and of course i appreciate your help ,i was just asking

19. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    Now Mufflore as you recommended i removed all ram sticks but one in first slot ,the problem occured ,i removed this ram and put another one in the same slot ,problem occured , so i put the third piece in the second slot and also the problem occured also tried lowering the ram bass with the same result !!

I think by this way the problem is not from the RAM or MOBO ,or have i missed something ??

And right now i am uploading a video for the problem may it help in diagnosing the cause !!

Edit : here is the video watch the fan at the top i pressed the power button once and sorry for the low quality video !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdLKQCfOWSI

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The video is what I was expecting but it doesnt bring us any closer, its the Boot code detecting a problem and it reboots with default overclock settings.
    It doesnt reset any other faults and it doesnt always set the memory up correctly as per mfr specs.

After the CMOS was reset, did you set the memory voltage again in the BIOS?
    Did you make any other changes in the BIOS setup?

Things to try:
    Manually set the memory voltage and all recommended memory timings that you can.
    Be very sure that the memory is not going to run at a faster speed than it was sold as.
    Leave other settings on default.

Failing that, Try a lower FSB speed (say around 3/4 of current) with all other settings the same, to see how it responds.

Check to see if your old memory works.
    Dont forget to set the voltage, timings and speed or put them at default before you change the memory.
    Alternatively, reset the CMOS, fit the memory and then set the memory up correctly,

I mentioned earlier in the thread to remove anything not needed but you werent clear what that meant.
    Can you unplug everything, hard drives, USB sticks, keyboard, mouse, sound cards, satellite cards etc.
    That means unplug them from the PSU and the motherboard.
    Leave only the graphics card properly plugged in.
    Now see if it does the double boot.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010