Is this a driver issue or gpu failure?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Spongeguard, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    In Crysis, I get a strange visual anomaly.. white "flickering" outline around objects(video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkz6J-jD5P0, picture = http://i.imgur.com/P9uVe.jpg)

Now this has been bothering me for a few days, and I've tried tons of fixes.
    Today i finally managed to fix it by going into the crysis water cvar and changing "shaderwater=2" to "shaderwater=0"
    issue is completely gone

I've run unigine heaven, 3dmark vantage, furmark for 30 mins, OCCt gpu for an hour, no artifacts in either.
    Same with over 20 hours of just cause 2 with no artifacting.

BUT! The strange thing, is that my 8800GT does not have the issue.
    That's why I'm wondering if it's driver or card?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Turn off Catalyst AI.

3. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    Already tried - didn't fix it.

4. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Driver issue.

Have you tried installing the application profiles? That fixed flickering for me in warhead with just the 10.5a's. Installed 10.5 profile application and flickering was 99% gone.

5. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    No I haven't, but I will now.

EDIT: Didn't solve the issue. Do I need to restart after disabling AI or installing profiles?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Try the 10.5 application profiles. Lots of bad stuff going on with the new driver release and I'm not sure if part of that has to do with the 10.6 application profile release or just the 10.6 drivers. Probably not, but just to be sure...

7. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    Nah, I've tried all drivers from 9.12 to 10.6 and I've had the issue in all of them.
    But no issues in any other games!

Just out of curiosity, did you watch the video?
    Most people who talk about flickering aren't suffering from my issue.

8. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    You don''t need to restart after disabling AI or installing profiles. If disabling AI didn't work, enable it again. have you tried pressing ALT-Enter during game to go to windopwed mode and then ATL-Enter again to return to fullscreen? This worked when I had flickering with Red faction gorilla but I know it had to do with CF so probably doesn't apply to your card.

In any case, IMO, it is just a software issue. You should always install the latest version of the game itself, also.

9. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    I've also tried going to windowed and back to fullscreen.

What I think it is though, is that with 0x AA on for some reason the card is trying to render 'reflections' of the branches in the water. If I turn AA to 8x I can see the reflection of the rock in the water and it looks good, but on 0x AA I don't see the reflection of the rock, and instead I see this white flickering crap.

But if it were a GPU issue, turning aa to 8x probably wouldn't make it better, right?

10. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    I watched the vid and honestly am having a hard time understanding the problem. There were water problems in COD5 solved by a game patch. That's why this could be a bug that was solved with a crysis game patch. Again, kinda hard for me to really "see" the problem in the vid.

11. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, I see what you mean with the branches and the water. Looks to me that that is something that AA would solve.

12. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    Well look at the picture - see the white crap through the scope? Watch the video and look in the same spot. It's not caused by the cloak flickering, but it's there and quite visible to my eyes.

13. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Looks like AA issue. I was talking about really nasty flickering. You should have more faith in your card (title). To me, what you're seeing is a small, localized problem.

14. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    But does that explain why my 8800gt didn't get the issue and my HD 5770 does?

Sorry if it seems like I'm obsessing. It's because I am :D

15. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Of course that explains it. Different card, different drivers, different optimizations, etc.

Game on

16. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    Alright man.
    Have a great night, and thanks for the peace of mind!

17. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    Sorry for being so incredibly paranoid, but I have one question.
    If it were caused by my GPU, would turning on AA fix it? Or is it pretty much guaranteed to be a driver issue?
    I played 6 or 7 hours of lead and gold and just cause 2 last night without a single artifact, and ran 3dmark vantage and unigine heaven 2.1 again, with no artifacting.