AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @BeoWulf_

yeah, it's still low.

well, if the catalyst 10.6 is what works best on your system try the 'Single Card'-build that is 10.6 + OCL + that CPU boost you see on your screenshots nothing else. basically I would of mod it, if someone could of tested it on CFX, but the problem was the 10.6 WHQL didn't scale on CFX correctly where as those builds you just tested did them correctly (I mean now in real games Grid(DirectX 9), Dirt 2(DirectX 11), Heaven Benchmark 2.1(OpenGL), Crysis(DirectX 10)) (when there was no catalyst 10.6 even existing).

-edit-

o and that DX driver version you were asking 1 screen above was one on change list to 10.5a version as that would, atm, be the fastest DX driver(Not including DirectX 10-11) there is. btw, Vantage is only an DX10 benchmark kinda side on maybe the point, but we are still talking only there about 1 / 4 things we need on this world DX10 to be the least what we need, but just for consider.

-edit 2-

Just have to say again as on everyone else. I did not mod these drivers to be fast. I modded them to work. No official driver works for OpenCL, no official driver works for scaling and no official driver works for general gaming on high-end systems these does.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. m00nlighter

m00nlighter Member

GPU:
    HD 4670 AGP 800GPU/800MEM
    Moreover, many old OpenGL titles work OK in 10.4 and are screwed up beyond recognition in newer versions (texture and shader problems).

I wonder if it is possible to backport the new DXVA .cap and .dll from 10.6 to 10.4 AND enable Mosquito Noise Removal and Deblocking for 4x series (and hopefully for 3x series too). Have a strong gut feeling that announcing support for these features in 5x series ONLY is just a marketing trick by ATI, same as Microsoft's not so clever ruse with DirectX 10 and Windows Vista.

Offtopic: I am thorougly amazed at your competence: a true hacker indeed. You alone have managed to produce a stable driver while the whole bloody team of full-time devs and testers have f..ked up two or three releases already. Ever worked for Matrox? ;)
    (I used to have Matrox G400 and G550. And I still miss the image quality, and DRIVER RELIABILITY. It's a shame that that Parhelia core didn't made it...)

3. MetalFlake

MetalFlake Member

GPU:
    Asus HD4870 512mb
    Thanks great modded driver :)

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Actually all the current versions on front page are clean OpenGL 4.0. :)

I didn't even consider going back although now I know that is why the old drivers were so damn fast and these new ones on somethings
    like vantage are not. It is easy to go back it's much harder to be on same level as 'new' + include feature fixes. As what goes DVXA it actually
    is already back ported. both 10.4b and 10.5 (both CFX builds) are using v10.6 WHQL DVXA styles & registry tweak file there adds all
    features like mosquito noise removal and de-noise etc etc.

As what is missing is the point people understanding that speed != all features. Any catalyst there is does not have half the functionality
    what any of these drivers has (exc. the 'Single Card'-build which is basic 10.6 WHQL with basic CPU usage tweak from 10.5a & 10.4a-b
    couple entries to circle around OpenGL 4.0 functions & get OpenCL functional under multiGPU enviroment specifically on "NVIDIA in
    box"-style of setups).

I don't think ATI screwed that bad on 10.6 although '3 drivers before' is a bit wrong statement. ATI has made exact 2 drivers in past
    10 months v9.11 & v10.3b and now the 10.6 which seems to have some effort in it by fixing 'video previews', '3d previews', having
    extra video functions inside driver pack automatic and basic stability tweaking with a bit over 10.5a where of course the 10.5a would perform better on 'programming side'.

5. BeoWulf_

BeoWulf_ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1
    Okay.. tryed single card edition of your modded driver and got more in vantage (297xx) but sucked in games... reinstalled the single monitor CFX driver, and wola, 28xxx in vantage, but it rocks in games.. MW2 nolonger lags in map Estate when looking on some areas of the map.. just awesome..

6. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I've never truely understood how people can get the same or higher FPS, but because a program gives them a lesser digital number, it must be worse off.

7. BeoWulf_

BeoWulf_ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1
    i think you misunderstood..

i tryed the single card version of the mod, and sure, it gave me a higher vantage score.. but in games the FPS was ruggish.

So i installed the CFX version of the mod again. and it was lower in vantage.. but in games it was faster than the single card version.. :)

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, as I said 'vantage' is 'vantage' it is only DX10.. We have in thsi world maybe handful of DX10 games while best games we play are DX9 and 11 and every single driver on first place is a lot more 'useful' in the end on 'where they were built to'. Just matter of concept what a person want. As I said few messages back I could of 'build an performance driver', but it wouldn't of been anywhere even near capable as these in 'features'.

If people really want an 'benchmark' drivers sure I can build such, but it won't much 'play' on anything, lol, or well I would at least have to break what I've build to be functional in current entirely.

As currently you tested 'Single Card'-build in an single card system (well it's a bit out dated now) , but anyway, in single card (or with NVIDIA adapter) those drivers performs on average any game with only 1 card, but they don't scale sh1t as AMD/ATI removed the support.

That's why I based the builds:
    * 'Multiple Monitors'-build on 10.5a because these drivers automatically 'raises the clock' for 2D multi-monitor enviroments works 'on-fly' from installations.
    * CFX build is an 10.4 series (note: no longer the fastest, as found faster code, but didn't update it yet), but it scales the graphics better on DX9,(DX10 hopefully),11 & OGL4(hopefully) now where the 'CFX' systems needs power in gaming. driver is also capable of 'threading now 56-112 cores' in something like OpenCL (Also applies to above Multi-monitor setups).

-edit-

Also might mention again that on the single card driver I tryied my best to keep it as clean 10.6 build as possible, but well had to mod some areas by force the CPU/NVIDIA GPU usage through with less 'stress' while ATI renders. So, that's why you would in all cases probably get higher score 'on cpu' on things like 'vantage'.

9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Is mine outdated if I'm using single card experimental?

10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @crushilista

well, in a sense that I have huge amount of research & testing since v2.72 was released 19.06. and I skipped v2.76 because I couldn't figure where exactly was the code which generated 'lag' (I was simply too stupid to not understand the bug).

Hell, I searching it for 3 whole days.

Experimental build was 'experimental' and it has multiple 'bad' ideas, but if I recall correctly you had an single card system. So in 'gaming' it's not out of date only on benchmark sense or processing 'OpenGL', 'OpenCL', Physics and such where you need to utilize 'Constant CPU', but as said I will release patch for v2.72(which doesn't need reboot) & a full new, asap.

11. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    So we can expect that patch tommarow? If so :D lol.

Can you explain what exactly that patch will do? By the way i'm reading it, I see that it will make OpenGL, OpenCL better. I see you said we need to utilize constant CPU.

Will the new patch basically make those not need constant CPU, and also make benchmarks better? How will they make them better, and will that have an effect on gameplay FPS.

Sorry for the burst of questions, just curious.

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    We have to utilize Constant CPU all the time on everything. games, apps even your windows in IDLE utilizes it. A bit better explaining perhaps.

Consider an 'usage' to be a straight 'line' in every 'driver' while in full use having a lot of caps in 'allowed/optimized usage pass through to CPU'. Now v10.4 had pretty clean 'line' while v10.5 huge caps while AMD/ATI optimized pretty well (not good enough) the v10.6 so the 'line' while you run absolute 100% on GPU(s) and utilize CPU(s) (/ Processing NVIDIA PhysX GPU) would look something like this now:

----.------.-----.--^------------^------------^---------------------------------------

(sorry for crappy demo)

Now consider if we can take those down going '.''s out of there to it's stable on X FPS until jump higher. That would increase the 'Constant CPU' speed and lower "the stress"/bugs.

Very good example case would be the first benchmark of vantage. In the end scene while the 'boat' takes off from water you see an 'jump' in FPS. That would be the drivers making an '.' in the line. :)

@commonly

I couldn't get my stuff together today, but I have some good news. I found the 'code' path which allows me now to adjust stress to absolute minimum on 'smoke effects' and general parts where games & something like 'vantage' would 'jump'.

bad news is this will not be under v10.6 in any case driver simply doesn't allow it (or has it's own demons).

I try to make an update tomorrow.

:vader:

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    That sounds cool, which driver are you using for this? 10.4b again? These drivers are pretty sweet, never missing a beat in the new MOH Beta 60fps all the time.

With this new patch you are working on does this mean we should be get higher fps in games that use a lot of smoke? Such as BF:BC2?

14. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    @commonly

I couldn't get my stuff together today, but I have some good news. I found the 'code' path which allows me now to adjust stress to absolute minimum on 'smoke effects' and general parts where games & something like 'vantage' would 'jump'.

bad news is this will not be under v10.6 in any case driver simply doesn't allow it (or has it's own demons).

I try to make an update tomorrow.

:vader:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for answering my question, I knew what you meant for the most part, but I thought you meant that it was forced 100% on all apps (the processer) which I found odd.... i'm weird ignore that lol.

I really like that you found the smoke effect thing. I'd love to actually be able to look at smoke without my FPS dropping to 1/8th the speed.

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, that would be 1 form of effect causing 'jumps' it actually has nothing to do with the point 'it's a smoke'-effect or 'heat style of'-effect. It's actually bug when the program asks driver for 'what to use for' > driver answers with 'how the hell should I know' = jump.. In raw ideal thinking. :)

@commonly

I will be updating the drivers I can. CFX(10.4) builds for sure. Single card (10.6) I will update, if I can simply dig up how to solve the matter similar sadly it doesn't look good, but gonna do some other updates on that anyway.

16. rjc862003

rjc862003 Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5750@855/1337
    there was never a RUSE xp never support dx10 for a reason ( all them hacks to renable it where/are pure non functional bs "
    as for ogl breaking in recent versions its to be expected old games are old

17. m00nlighter

m00nlighter Member

GPU:
    HD 4670 AGP 800GPU/800MEM
    TwL and mods, please excuse me for this offtopic post. Delete if necessary.

Exactly. And the one and only reason was to force users so that they move to Vista (it is not an OS, it's a v-word in IT community).
    Abso-effing-lutely nothing should be EXPECTED TO BE BREAKING in ANY new version. That's what testing dept takes care of, in any decent software development company. ATI driver team just sucks big time, all the way back to ATI Rage.
    Talking about old games: Deus Ex turned ten yesterday. Is it old? If so, name, say, five new games that are at least equal to DX in terms of gameplay experience and script nonlinearity .
    Unreal is well over ten years old. People still play it online and make single player mods for it (check OldUnreal). Is it old? Not to them I think. Not to me, too.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Hmm, don't have much time to read as going to sleep, but I did finish the building now on new editions. Took me a freaken another 5 hours(and probably several days on top of that) to figure that code I was looking for was inside the the control center load code.

I will add them here for now and tomorrow to 'first page'. They are 'experimental' because only way I get around the performance was to destroy some of 'catalyst control panel'-code (and on 10.6 case even this is absolute bare able. The 10.4a code is few times more powerful than 10.6, but that's fine since that also suits to CFX even better & on Multiple Display setups.) which means that there is around 7 second lag on catalyst control center simply because some moron on ATI decided to include optimization code directly to control panel DLL files since 10.4b.

Now, Control Panel maybe slow as hell, but the drivers are probably fastest damn things there is in this world. Cladly you only need to setup the control panel settings usually 1 time or twice and simply run the drivers.

Links:

v10.4a + Modifications:

x86 / 32-bit:
    ZippyShare - MediaFire - Sendspace
    MD5: 2bf9338bef3476a93bdc676a735ba3f8

x64 / 64-bit:
    MD5: 8361327259793763f155e2eebe0932d5

v10.6 + Modifications:

x86 / 32-bit:
    MD5: baaa028bfedd49ecac5251cd8ad61dc5

x64 / 64-bit:
    MD5: 7dcc9a26960ba04396e1f588c1337096

As for now I am out of code again from AMD/ATI and those 2 will be the best existing builds there is for general performance over CFX/Single Card and multiple display systems for now.

For those with multiple screens:
    You will need to edit the profiles accordingly to first page for the 10.4a (best choice here) to be stable 'IDLE' clocks to survive the restarts. Also MSI Afterburner has an bug in this case in clocks. So, watch out on that. Minimum startup IDLE 2D clocks would be at 400Mhz/700Mhz. That will do on 0.950-1.038v(950-1038 inside 'profiles.xml').

Also everyone should note. You do not need nor want 'Application Profiles June 17'. Those are inside the drivers already.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  19. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    So... do I install this over or do I need a clean install like previous? I remember you saying something about nonrebooting patch.

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    you really really need to install it clean and with the new clean-up with it.

heh, you do not even wanna know how many times I rebooted to get this together you can reboot twice. ;)