Maybe switching Nvidia > ATI (Need Advice)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Dingmatt, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Neither the 5xxx's nor the 4xx's are 'new', they're tweaks of the previous generation with some added technologies such as tesselation and DX11.

nVidia and AMD fanboys are idiots, the lot of them. When I wanted to buy a second hand card for the third PC in house I was recommended to get an AMD card but decided to get an nVidia one just because I like both manufacturers. What I don't like is how with every new generation nVidia's cards become ever less efficient (larger, more power usage and a lot more heat just for a slight increase of performance over AMD).

If I were to buy a new card for myself I wouldn't buy nVidia, this 4870 heats up my room to sauna temperatures as it is.

2. Kalish colt

Kalish colt Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870
    Get the cheapest man. As long as it plays your games it's fine. You might find that a 5% difference is a million percent difference but it is not when your in-game!

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    k3vst3r, you're trying to argue a purchase because an architecture is newer?

Would you have done that when the 2900XT came out? Because I could've made that argument then. Of course it was huge, hot, inefficient, and not as fast as everyone expected. Kinda sounds like a parallel to me.

Trying to convince someone to make a purchase based on what you think, based on nothing but your gut feeling, is going to happen with drivers and speeds is irresponsible at best and silly at worst. Feel free to interject your opinion, but don't tell someone to buy a card because it's going to get speed improvements in upcoming drivers, you don't know that it will, and if it does, you don't know the extent. This comment here was particularly interesting

What, all of the one driver? 257s are all we've gotten. There's the new Quadro ones, they work, but they're buggy as hell because they're meant for Quadro. Nvidia's been REALLY slow releasing drivers for these cards. Absurdly slow. Slower than ATI. Think that's because the performance was squeezed out in the 6 months they were twiddling their thumbs because they couldn't figure out how to make the thing efficiently? I do. I think the improvements are done for the most part. But that's what I think, don't make a purchasing decision on it, that would be a bad plan.

Well, its clear that you choose to ignore any release notes for ATI considering a driver was released less than a week ago in which performance was improved, the 10.6s. The 10.3s also gave a nice boost. That's two performance ehancing drivers in the last three months. And you can find any number of people not happy with X driver from either company.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. loser7

loser7 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Two 8800GT's in SLI should actually be pretty fast. You would need a pretty fast video card to get any significantly better performance, probably a geforce 275 at least.

I'd stick with nvidia for now but you may want to wait until ATI releases the 6000 GPU's

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    257.15 quite improved fps over 197.75...257.21 fps similar...257.29 fps slight improvement..258.41 1-3 fps improvement, what bugs? haven't come across any yet. Polls for those driver threads majority seem quite happy.
    Comes as no surprise that you had to jump into this thread :)

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    wow same people here arguing in an nvidia vs ati thread... good for laughs:wanker:

7. Professor78

Professor78 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 XXX
    Interesting read here they talk about driver improvements.

8. Professor78

Professor78 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 XXX
    Lol had to laugh at that, i was thinking exactly the same thing. They can't see what is right infront of their eyes at times.

9. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Not arguing here, just said here OP will buy what he wants an that's true. As for the whole ATI vs Nvidia owned both, an buy what ever suits my needs, big downside for ATI for me is its piss poor folding performance compared to Nvidia cards. When it's finally fixed maybe i will buy another ATI card then.

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No they haven't. You are talking right out of your ass on this one. Prove it, show benchmarks that there's any difference at all between 257.15 and 257.29. And don't give me anything about the 258s, they're not even Geforce drivers, Metro 2033 has blocky corruption and Crysis, while significantly faster, has some indoor lighting issues and blur corruption on some characters.

Face it, in the time since they've been out you have exactly one driver to point to, the 257 ones. .15 and .29 are just different revisions of the same thing, likely a bug they fixed. There's no improvement from .15 and .29.

And I felt compelled to join the thread because I'm not going to let someone spout whatever nonsense helps their case unchallenged. If there are real reasons for him to buy a GTX 470 or whatever, state them, don't make stuff up, or quote drivers that aren't even for the card in question.

11. Professor78

Professor78 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 XXX
    Yeah I fully agree with you there.
    So the moral of the story is, if you fold - go for Nvidia, anything else ATI ;)
    lol sorry! couldnt resist.

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    You really haven't checked posts out 257.15 to 257.29 look :bang: do you see the difference?

13. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    For everyone who's saying 5870 is too expensive for it's performance...
    Ehm sorry but it has around 25% better performance in games and costs like what 50€ more than a 5850? Seriously, think before posting.

[​IMG]

14. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Kevster, this fanboyism really makes you look childish. If 4 fps (out of 90+) is all you have, then you've got nothing because AMD have done the same. Seriously, get over it and accept that both make good cards in different but with different goals in mind.

I don't fold, I run Boinc and I'm more than pleased with my card. There's more to life than Folding and I couldn't care less about the Guru team, as there're other sciences out there that need help. For one I run Leiden@Home (doesn't make use of AMD GPU's, so I run CPU application only) and help the researchers, students and faculty members of the University of Leiden. I never studied there but I know a few people who did and I'm glad to donate my CPU time to the students at that school.

My only problem with AMD is that they haven't provided support for SETI and others, but I run SETI on my 9800GTX and 8800GTS 320. If AMD did provide support I'd buy a 6000 just to run SETI, as it'd be 3TFlop of pure, raw, delicious power. Though, my Collatz score is doing pretty good too ;)

15. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    If the 5870 is too expensive for its performance what are the GTX470 and 480 then?

16. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I don't know anything about nVidia cards, haven't had one since 7950GT.
    Wasn't talking about them anyway was i.
    All I'm saying is that the extra price you pay for a 5870 is well worth it.

17. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Iplaynaked asked for proof i provided it, now all i get is personal attacks for doing so. I have no brand loyalty, as you'll always be disappointed at one point or another, when other side strikes a victory.

18. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    hello,
    i would say that its a 5870 or a 470,there just as good as each other,newly released,dx11,hardware tessellation and able to run anything at the moment.
    the choice is black and green or black and red?

19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Then I concede that COP does have a difference in this driver, though its the only game I can find that does so with a cursory googling.

Doesn't change the fact that, even giving you credit for that driver, you have exactly two performance enhancing drivers since the 470 has been released. In that same period, ATI also has two performance enchancing drivers, on top of the ones that were released before the 470 and 480 were out.

The argument that performance enhancing drivers will continue holds no water. You don't know that they will, you don't know their extent, and you don't know that ATI won't improve performance the same or more. You just don't know. I don't know, nobody knows, its not wise to base a purchase on a guess based on nothing.

20. Dingmatt

Dingmatt Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 GV-N470OC-13
    Yeah, they have the horsepower but are limited by the on board ram, I'm getting issues where if I'm running 'Normal' texture quality (in games) i'm getting 150+ fps but if I switch to 'High' I'm getting 24 > 40 fps.

Same with AA and running 1920 x 1200 on a 28" screen means I really need AA; older games run fine, its just these new ones with insanely high texture sizes.