ATi Catalyst 10.6

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2
    Yeah, expecting regularly updated drivers without glaring bugs is far too much to ask for. We clearly need to lower our expectations. :)

2. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You think Nvidia's drivers are bug free on each release? You're living in a fairy tail.

3. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2
    Never said that. :)

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Good that they reacted so quickly and it's great to see them releasing the fix through the Catalyst Application Profiles rather than as a larger hotfix driver release. That's what I thought the Application Profiles were for.

Doubt we'll get fixes for Blur and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sand as well but maybe if we nag them enough... :)

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    ATI should stop with this habit of releasing drivers every month IMO. It's clear, to me anyway, that it puts too much pressure on them and that's why we see silly bugs slipping through that require hotfixes and application profile updates.

What I'd like to see is less regular drivers, perhaps with the odd preview driver, with the focus on optimisations for games not packing in a new feature each month. The application profiles can still be used to add support for new games as needed and hopefully updated more than the once per month they are now even if it's only to add one or two new games. At 500 KB they're no hassle to download and install.

6. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Frankly, I think they should drop the monthly releases and just get a driver out when it's ready.

...though I guess people would start complaining they don't release drivers often enough then.

I can't put myself in anyone's shoes however as I never really had problems with their drivers and I'm not running CrossFireX as I don't care much for the boost it'd give me as long as whatever I play is smooth, but to each their own.

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

This.

Make it right, then release.

It's making more harm than good.

Anyways, they re-designed most of the drivers and got a complete new architecture out pretty much at the same time, they need time to settle down and a 1 month release policy ain't gonna help.

I stopped updating drivers at 10.3 due to all this fussssss.......

But since I am on 4xxxx series, it's easier for me to kick back and relax.

I still have confidence ......

8. da_unique

da_unique Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770 + GTX670 (SLI)
    ****ing impossible, ATI managed to fix nothing in the past 8 months.
    Installed it for 5 minutes and noticed the following list already:

a) Enable Image Scaling button STILL malfunctions, its ALWAYS enabled whatever you select.
    b) Centered timings are totally ****ed for CRT resolutions
    c) A gazillion resolutions are missing for CRT monitor
    d) No refresh rates can be selected for any resolution

Wasted a few days last time (cat 10.3-10.5) to try and fix the problems using registry hacking and what not, so im not even gonna bother this time.
    Reverting back to 9.7 now ... the last driver that actually works half way for my 4870.

Great job ATI, never ever this driver horror for me again.
    All they seem to care about is getting 1% extra performance out of game A, by either cheating with the visual quality or breaking game B,C and D.
    How about FIXING BUGS??? :stewpid:

9. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    f**k off ATI...these drivers in most games i have lost FPS, and dont mention that in Battlefield 2 i have the /2 (half) fps...jesus christ, i dont want to play it now...battlefield is awful with 45-55 fps...i always had 100+...congratulations ATI, every month a new bug is given...that's not a professional work guys..!!

10. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    well is anyone having issues with Stalker: COP I just ran this game last night and it has poor performance. I am stuck between stability and performance. I get great stability with the 10.6 drivers but my performance is poor it seems across the board. Hopefully the 10.7 drivers are better.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Also this, should just do a Nvidia imo, and release crappy beta drivers all the time that are use at own risk, as then no one could complain about all the bugs, as thats what you would be expecting, due to the drivers only being unfinished betas. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  12. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    That would work lol!

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, as then when you found a bug, you wouldn't be posting "******* ATi, absolute crap drivers, you want to get a better team you bunch of jokers" blah, blah, blah all over the net, as you wouldn't be posting at all, as after finding a bug, you would just go, ahh well not to worry, its an unfinished beta, so i can't complain :)

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is that DX10/11? You haven't got triple buffering forced have you? ;)

15. rdlf2048

rdlf2048 New Member

GPU:
    ATi Mob Radeon HD 4200
    Hi all let me tell you something, I own one ACER Aspire 4540 with an AMD Athlon II M300 (2Ghz, 64 + 64 + L1, 2*512 L2 Cache, Caspian 45nm) with integrated graphics processor ATi Radeon HD 4200 that should be supported as described on AMD`s official page.
    Well, after I run the installer, it seems it did not work out.
    First, CCC still displays the current driver is still the older AND the ccc outputs its version: 10.5. One more thing it DID install the video converter but when trying to convert onee wmv file to 1080p H.264 or 1080p MPEG-2 it gets the processor full loaded. I mean my cpu not my gpu! Shouldn`t it be the contrary? Also I got the Hydra Vision installed and that seems to be working just fine.

Just as a side note, I had 10.5 catalyst mobility installed and all I did was to install the 10.6 `newer` drivers and stuff over the previous catalyst mobility version. Is there a problem?

One last thing, I run youtube videos on 720p and 1080p. Nothing, new the processor is still getting hot and while I was watching the videos, it gets between 45 and 68% of processor usage. sadly, my expectations were all mistaken with this version...

Anyone running into the same issue?

EDIT: the avivo 10.6 version link is still unavailable.
    at least this is what this links reports: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/avivo/Pages/avivo-mobile-win7-download.aspx

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think this was mentioned before, probably in the 10.6 Beta thread, but GTA: Episodes from Liberty City (and likely GTA IV too, although I haven't checked) show a total memory of 2,000 MB instead of the 1,016 MB I got before on my system. This means that I can totally max out the sliders although it seems pretty pointless because:

(a) the most memory the game uses is just over 1,000 MB anyway even with the View Distance on 100% and Shadows on Very High;
    (b) Shadows on Very High renders the game unplayable due to the judders and pauses;
    (c) setting the View Distance above 30 and the Draw Distance above 40 on my machine results in lots of pop up when quickly turning around. Dunno whether this is a bug or not.

The water bug *still* has not been fixed though so it still looks like jelly (jello to you, Americans). *sigh*

17. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    It affects original GTA 4 too which now runs better than ever before with all maxed. No stuttering\ distance drawing problems here, unlike EFLC. It still looks good, btw :)

18. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    Is 10.6 any good for 3870 owner?

does it fix anything for my card?

because i don't see any list of improvements or fixes for 3xxx

but i know sometimes they forgot to put it, or simply decided not to put it, so that people like me will upgrade.

btw for my rig, is 4890 will improve my gaming or not?

i'm planning on adding those before i buy a new rig (still can't decide to buy 1090T or wait for intel release on the end of this year)

19. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I rarely have problems with ATI's drivers, but the 10.6 drivers scared the hell out of me... Installing went fine, but it would BSoD every time during a reboot. Safe mode worked, though. So, I uninstalled them using Driver Sweeper and went back to older drivers.

It seems I am not the only one. There is a thread on the ATI forums about the issue.

20. rdlf2048

rdlf2048 New Member

GPU:
    ATi Mob Radeon HD 4200
    let me ask you something, usually when you`ve got newer versions of ati driver do you just install it over the previous (older) version or do you get all older version removed before installing the latest?

Also, have you successfully used the ati video converter from ccc? if you have, does it save your cpu from hard work?

thanks.