ATi Catalyst 10.6

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    AvP works OK here. The horrid stuttering seems to be reduced when running at max. settings in DX11 at 1920x1200 with 4xAA, motion blur/tessellation on, etc. but it's still there, particularly if you turn immediately after resuming a save game. It's a pretty rubbish game anyway so I'm not too upset! ;)

2. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Arma 2 seems to run better with 10.6 and a 5870. Nice!

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    In work at the mo.

Anyone on a 4870 still getting annoying flickering in BC2 menu's? (and annoying flickering at random times in 2D).

10.5a are horrible for this.

Also, are the white screen 3D crashes gone? (ya know, where you get a white screen, but the game is still running in the background)

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    These drivers working great, prior to these drivers I found out CCC was making my games stutter. Uninstalling that made them run bettter. The whole time I didnt know what it was. Something about the CCC after the 10.4/preview drivers give me stuttering issues. But the fix i found out was to uninstall the CCC. A stopoing it from starting up didnt stop the stutter.

So I fiqure if any one esle was having some odd stuttering uninstalling CCC may fix it for them then using a 3rd party tool to do there settings.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010

5. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Don't know whats going on but these drivers are no good for 4 series cards. Getting driver recovering when i launch games.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    There's something weird going on with these drivers.

The 10.6 Release Notes specifically mention performance improvements for World in Conflict for CrossFireX and single HD 5970s. This is what it states:

- World in Conflict
    o Performance improves up to 6% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
    Series products
    o Performance improves up to 8% on CrossFire™ and single card ATI
    Radeon™ HD 5970 configurations

Similarly, I cannot get HAWK DX10 to work in CrossFireX at all but it works for DX9.

I think I'm going to do a COMPLETE uninstall of the 10.6 drivers tonight, including Hydravision, Avivo Video Converter and the Application Profiles and reinstall everything again in case some remnants of the 10.6 beta drivers are causing conflicts/issues. I only uninstalled the driver you see not the entire Catalyst suite.

If that doesn't work then I'm going to revert back to the 10.5 drivers until ATI release either a hotfix or the 10.7 drivers next month. Kind of disappointed really. Seems like ATI fixes three things and break something else in the process, i.e. it's BFBC2's turn this month and possibly HAWX (if it isn't an issue specific to my machine).

7. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    In addition to what I send to you in private, check also the following:

1) How many Crossfire brige do you have 1 or 2? I founnd that some drivers are sensitive when only 1 crossfire bridge is connected.

2) I had some crossfire problems with STALKER CoP (again only one of the GPU's was hammered). What I did was to rotate the crossfire bridges (both) with 180° and from sudden everithing was fixed.

3) Try and swap the cards.

I know it looks spooky but some of my problems were solved with these tricks for which I have no explication:biggun:.

8. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    HAWX works here on Windows 7 x64 in DX10 mode on both cards. I had similar problem with HAWX a few months ago. That it won't start in DX10 mode but DX9 worked.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I really do appreciate you helping me out here, Kohlendioxidus.

The number of CrossFireX bridges is very, very, very interesting because I was using two until a fortnight ago when I cleaned out my PC and decided to remove one of them. Now I had only tried HAWX DX10 in CrossFireX prior to that and it hasn't worked since I removed one of the bridges, thinking about it and I've also used the 10.6 betas. Now I haven't had any issues with any other games at all and as you know HAWX DX9 still works in CrossFireX.

I'll try reconnecting the second bridge again and see if has any effect. If it does then I'll post back here.

Thanks again for the help! :D

@Lacusmons - Thanks for the info.

10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It seems that this issue is really bugging the crap out of you. May I offer a suggestion? Go to your local Walmart or other PC related store and get yourself 2 cans of air. Get yourself a philips screw driver. Flip the switch on the PSU to the off position then remove the power cable from the PSU. Use the philip screw driver to open the PSU's outer shell. Use the can of air to remove any dust/debris (use the can liberally). Once done use the other can to remove any dust from the motherboard's heatsink(s), ram, mosfets, etc. Return everything back to the way it was. Reinstall the drivers if you have to and see if things improve.

I get the distant impression that you are not getting the necessary power for your card(s). One way to correct it (if that's the problem) is to remove all containments from the PSU that may add heat thus reduce the overall power made available for a PSU. Personally I would use a multi-meter to gauge 5v, 12v and 3.3v before and after but I'm not sure if you have one on hand or not.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm not sure what it is that gives you that impression since I've never had any blue screen crashes or games freezing or exiting to the desktop unexpectedly, which I believe are usually indications that the cards are not getting enough power. I have an 850 W PSU, rated for tri-SLI/CrossFireX and that should be more than sufficient to power two HD 5870s. It has six 12V rails with 18A on four and 28A on the other two. I think I read somewhere that typical usage for two HD 5870s under load is well under 500 W. Obviously I have extra hard drives and stuff but they don't use that much power.

I'll apologise now if you turn out to be right and I'm wrong but I don't think the PSU is the issue here at all. Besides all my other games except ONE work in CrossFireX mode as intended with no crashes or whatnot, and even then the game that isn't working, just doesn't do so in DX10, the DX9 version works just fine! This issue may well be a result of me removing the second bridge a couple of weeks ago... we'll see... ;)

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I'm not saying that the PSU isn't adequate enough to provide the power. However, based on experience I found that overtime if there are enough contaminates in the PSU that increases thermals pre-maturely you can experience lower then expected performance of your PSU. Because I experienced this 1st hand and noticed the PSU return of performance after a good cleaning (with none of the signs you mentioned) is why I suggested that you look into it. ;)

13. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    This would not effect 1 game only, and it would not effect this one game since the GFX driver was installed.

This issue has NOTHING to do with the PSU. Now lets move on :)

14. js01

js01 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 Hawk
    These and the 10.6 beta's were the only drivers that I ever got a blue screen from, as soon as I tried to start Metro2033 it BSOD saying something about atikmdag.sys, last time I recovered from it but this time I couldn't so I had to use safe mode to uninstall the cards and now I can't even install the drivers without going through device manager.

The error report from ati install manager says, Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation. Strange I can install through device manager but ati crappy installer can't.

15. Pascal1973

Pascal1973 Member

GPU:
    GTX480 3-way sli
    10.6 on single screen with 2x5970 QuadCF is absurdly good! just scored 49K GPU score in Vantage! Best driver so far,downside is that Eyefinity and QuadCF is still NOT properly supported.Choppy gameplay, and half the framerate of a single card.
    Ati still has issues with Eyefinity and more then 2 Gpu's.....

16. Dwarden

Dwarden Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2048MB
    i hope these who have crossfire and/or dualGPU cards first uninstalled older Application profiles and then installed 10.6 ones :)

17. Pascal1973

Pascal1973 Member

GPU:
    GTX480 3-way sli
    I did,that's a habit...driverswept the whole thing, the story with QCF and EF has been going on for 7 months now.
    Ah well, lets wait for 10.7....

18. 01 Vlatce

01 Vlatce Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6770 DC
    Yes, it's f****** BUG.
    Not everyone has two monitors and grey screen.
    It should have an option in CCC if you have dual monitor to enable this feature, if you don't have you dont need to enable this BUG and get higher temperatures for nothing.

Good point :thumbup:

19. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    FUBAR'd my BC2 performance, getting half the fps, gpu's working at 30-50% vs 85-99%. In game performance was awful, lots of lag and stuttering.

Reverted back to 10.5a and all is good again. To bad as 10.6 fixed an issue in Supreme Commander 2 that I was having.

20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    In my case it was a select few of games. Have you experienced such a condition? And implied guess as to what my experience has been vs none from you (as none is posted) doesn't warrant any conclusion to move on. :) Furthermore, offering a suggestion be it you think is right or wrong doesn't warrant such a comment. That is one of the purposes of being able to participate in a forum like this. So, if you don't like the answer, as long as it is within forum rules, you move along. Don't start unneeded arguments because you read something that doesn't agree with you.