Terrible DVD playback with MPC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by LinkDrive, May 26, 2010.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    So I'm prepping my laptop for a vacation and popped in a DVD to test my settings with Media Player Classic to find that the playback quality is simply horrendous. My laptop has an 8400M GS and I'm using the 195.62 drivers. I've tried using the same MPC settings as on my desktop as well as the program defaults with no difference in quality. I've also tried different forceware versions but that didn't help either.

This is what it looks like on my desktop.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like on my laptop.

[​IMG]

This is on a fresh Win7 32-bit install. What I find odd though is that MPC isn't giving me the option to change the GPU rendering option on the laptop, where I have access to it on my desktop.

2. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Nevermind I got it to work.

It seems that Nvidia doesn't know how to sort their beta and archived driver section based off the advanced driver search dropdowns. I was downloading desktop drivers even though I specified the 8000M series. σ_σ

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm assuming that you have had it playing well on the laptop before.

What CPU / Speed does the laptop have?

What version video driver are you using?

Open the video in MPC and right click the picture, select 'filters' and tell us what is listed there.
    These are the codecs and some video/audio processors that the video is using.

Alternatively:
    Try MPC HC (Home Cinema version), it has DXVA support natively and without changing anything it should use the hardware acceleration of your graphics card - if you dont have an old video driver installed.
    This may bypass whatever is causing your problem.
    MPC HC might alleviate the problem without doing anything if you are lucky.

I'm not sure if your graphics card is fast enough to play 1080p material though.
    If this is true, you will need to use your CPU to decode so its useful for us to know your CPU model and its speed if you want 1080p to look good.

edit:
    I guess I took too long writing that :)

4. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Why so many people still use MPC instead of MPC-HC, it just beats me dead. I suggest that you install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (and check for new versions of it from time to time).

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Because it comes in one easy to use bundle with CCCP :thumbup:

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    On 21st September 2008, the CCCP changelog said:
    Switched MPC, Gabest filters, and VSFilter to Media Player Classic Homecinema project.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but CCCP has not been updated for more than 8 months already. Time to move on, I guess.

7. Trigunflame

Trigunflame Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC+ 850/2000
  8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    As long as it does what I need it to, I'm perfectly happy. So far, I've hit no issues with it, so that's what I'll stick with until I find a valid reason to move on ;)

9. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Some are, yes indeed. But not K-Lite Mega Codec Pack because fishy codecs are excluded from it and it allows you to manage your installed codecs, and more. It gets updated frequently and it's made by people who know what they're doing.

10. RedruM-X

RedruM-X Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
    Why so many people are still using MPC (whatever version) is beyond me, when Zoom Player beats that program to pulp.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Codec packs are trouble, even K-Lite. Only the codecs you need should be installed...

Cany you be more specific?

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As long as all these players are using the same codecs and same hardware then they all have identical quality, if one is better than the other it only suggests you don't know how to use the other player.

It's just a pity these days that the free players don't have DVD Playback quality as good as the commerical players.

13. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH Member

14. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    MPC-HC + Shark007 Codec packs = The best HTPC experience imo.

15. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yes, Zoom Player beats any version of MPC to pulp. Just like Media Player Classic Home Cinema beats any version of Zoom Player to pulp, in terms of picture quality at least.

16. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Hence, the installer of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack lets you choose which codecs should be installed just as a precaution. Yet anyway, using its default setting I've had zero problems for more than a year and it actually even fixed a few for me (no joke).

17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Just get MPC-HC from xvidvideo.ru search google if you can't find, get the x64bit too if you use windows 7 64bit for extra performance stacks.

and install CoreAVC for hardware decoding if you use anything higher for CUDA acceleration.

and be happy man, if you don't have cuda support just use DXVA MKV acceleration and finish the job.

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I don't use CoreAVC because I think the internal DXVA decoder of MPC-HC is better.