Recommend me a 22" widescreen monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Klementh, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Ok, my good CRT died and I'm left with a very bad borrowed CRT.

What's the best I can have for around 160€?

21 or 23" are ok too, i guess.
    My biggest enemies are image trailing and blurriness in non native resolutions. I would also like to have a monitor that can handle more than 60 Hz at its native resolution, but considering I want cheap, I think I can pass without it.

Thanks for your advice.

2. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I'll place a vote on an Acer 22 incer. Good monitor all around. And best of all it is cheaper then most other brands. Mine is 16:10 widescreen which I prefer over 16:9. My model is rated 5ms which is great for gaming as well.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Samsung 2233RZ, I've got one and I must say it was €320 well spent, 120Hz. In case you like to play on lower resolutions in css/1.6 like loads of people, the screen can do 4:3 with aspect scaling and 960x600 works (800x600 with the extra viewing angle on the sides basically).

You're not gonna find a "cheap" 22inch 60+ Hz monitor. It's either 60 or 120Hz and you're gonna pay about a €100 more for 120Hz.

4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I recommend Samsung. Can't really go wrong. :/

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    If it hadn't been the budget-restriction there, I'd say ignore 120Hz, and go for an Eizo Flexscan S2242WSEK or the newer 2243 (adds displayport). Generally speaking Eizo monitors often (but not always) is samsung lcd matrices with better backlight and a little different dye screens (Eizo's are meant for those who use calibrated colors) for the colors. But the QC of the Eizo's doesn't come for free.

//Svein

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    If image trailing is one of your biggest enemies then try to avoid screens with 5 ms response time like the plague. Gaming on them sucks because it's simply not smooth, so you'll need 2 or 3 ms.

7. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Get a screen with at least 5ms of response time.

Check each manufacturer for their Dead/stuck pixel policy.

The best thing to do is to go to a brick and mortar store and look at the screens in person before deciding to buy one online. Your personal tastes, image quality-wise, might be different from someone else.

8. invisible69

invisible69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4870x2 2GB
    I've got a BenQ G2400WD, slightly bigger than what you requested, but got it for real cheap compared to other monitors. Can't really complain about it :)

9. Mont Vigilante

Mont Vigilante Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Samsung with 2ms response!

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Not really true. I game on mine all the time with no problems and my LCD is 5ms.

12. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    2ms GTG is essentially 5ms BTB (which is what matters). LCD response times haven't improved much since the 5ms era, just the way manufacturers report and market their numbers. They're legit, but useless. The same goes for dynamic contrast ratio specs, and even static contrast ratios are higher than what you get in the real world.

With that budget, you're looking at a TN monitor. Performance/quality wise, they're all going to be in a similar range, so just choose a reputable manufacturer. Samsung and Asus are good as are some Dell and NEC models.

13. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I'll admit the fact LCD response time is nowadays measured as 'gray to gray' which is only a small part of the story because other criteria have a huge impact on pixel response speeds as well. I'll also admit not every person is equally susceptible to motion blur (smearing, image trailing, ghosting, pixel laziness,...) because there's sufficient medical evidence out there to prove that, but: eyestrain will occur even if the effect of a slow response time is invisible to you. Then again, if the built-in image processor of your monitor adds too much blur when it upscales your vidcard's output to a higher resolution (read: the monitor's native resolution) then you might be in equal trouble. And of course poor brightness / contrast levels don't help much either.

So yes, meet the monitor in person before buying him lol.

14. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
  15. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

I say Asus with a low ms response time. It' makes a difference.
    I returned a samsung and took the Asus. Not as vidid much much more natural looking. Less trailing. Much less.

16. Sigihcat

Sigihcat New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 470
    I agree with Samsung T220.

I personally found one for a really good price now, if you are especially looking for a good 22" monitor.

17. jimbo4510

jimbo4510 Member

GPU:
    pny 8800gtx 768 x 2
    i say sumsung p2350 most of my clan run them and no problems and 2ms response time and the look stylish

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Sadly, people still prefer Samsung for reasons that don't fit into my brain.

19. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I got the Alienware 2310 120 Hz monitor, its 23 inches though. At first I really didn't like it it to much but after a week its really grown on me. Being able to game at 120 Hz is really something else, its so much smoother and cleaner crisper.

20. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    If you care about color accuracy, I would advise against the Samsung P2350. From personal experience, I could immediately tell out of the box that colors were "off". Everything had a ugly, dark, reddish tint. No amount of color calibration or settings adjustments could remedy this. I took it back to Sam's Club thinking it was defective and exchanged for a new one. Same deal. So I took that back and got a refund. Also, Samsung tech support was terrible. I'm not sure how these people got employed. They didn't have a clue about the products they sell or how to provide customer service. Finally, I was bumped up to "Tier 2" support and spoke with someone who actually new a thing or two about monitors.

Anyways, I bought a similarly priced 23" LG off newegg and the colors on that looked alot more normal to say the least. This was out of the box.