Wanting to transfer files between 2 W7 PCs using ethernet cable - which method?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by DraZor, Jun 1, 2010.

1. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hi all,

As title says, I'm wanting to transfer files using my Cat 5 ethernet cable between my two W7 PCs, however I'm a nut when it comes to this and can never seem to get it to work.

I have a router with 2 PCs connected to it - I've heard it is easier to use a router in my situation as opposed to directly connecting.

So basically I'm wondering how to achieve file transfers between my 2 computers using a router (sick of using an ext. hard drive)?

Thanks in advance.

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

3. jimbo4510

jimbo4510 Member

GPU:
    pny 8800gtx 768 x 2
    if that doesnt work give me a yell

4. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Ok thanks - I had already done all that and more.

Problem was, both comps had exactly the same name, as soon as one was changed, I could transfer :)

Question though, I'm currently transferring a 1280x544 reso movie (over 4GB) and it's doing so at 3MB/sec?

Is this a little slow for a CAT 5 cable or have I overlooked something?

Thanks again.

5. ibitato

ibitato Guest

your "router" might be only 10MB/s or it's not a swith, but a hub

or the hard disks are damm slow ........

6. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    My router is a WRT54GL, I was doing a test transfer this time from the laptop and a 200MB file - stated 17.4MB/sec initially then dropped to around 6MB/sec.

Yea doesn't USB 2.0 transfer faster than that horrid 3MB/sec?

Well at least I can transfer now :nerd:

7. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    It's possible that you need to replace your router with a Windows 7 compatible one if you want better transfer speed but you can also first try to disable 'offloading' in your network adapter's advanced properties tab to see if that helps. Offloading is intended to decrease the workload of your CPU by letting IPv4 checksum validation take place on your network adapter itself rather than your CPU, thereby limiting the capacity of your network adapter.

8. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Thanks for the reply TruMutton.

I fixed the problem by disabling the wireless on my laptop (suggestion from a friend).

I now get 11MB/sec :)

9. jimbo4510

jimbo4510 Member

GPU:
    pny 8800gtx 768 x 2
    11mb still pretty bad but better then 3 i get around 11 from my nas drive that runs the house i would look at probaly better cables cat 5e should be sufficent i just tested i get 3mb on wireless

10. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    11 bad? Isn't Cat 5 100Mb = 12.5 MB/sec peak?

I was actually getting around 12, but yea - what would a Cat 5e do?

Better quality and newer? I suppose there wouldn't be a maximum speed increase?

11. sgtheadhole

sgtheadhole Active Member

GPU:
    XFX ATi Radeon 5770
    CAT5e or CAT6 will do, you could always try just connecting the PC's directly, it works just as well or even better if your router is restricting the speeds which might be the case

12. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Thanks.

I understand IP addresses etc need to be changed to work with that method?

Such as a static IP?

13. ibitato

ibitato Guest

If you want to directly connect 2 PCs you need a "crossover" cable, that is not the standard ethernet cable.

In order to connect both PCs , you need this cable that will have a couple of wires "crossed" to make a point to point connection. This will be a common cable to find in specialized shops.

Also, you need to use fixed IP adresses on each PC.

IMO, there is no need to do this.

Your router it's not a "switch", but a wireless router with a 4 slot switch.....

If you want to optimise the transfer speed among all PCs at home, I recommend that you buy a 5 port 1GB SWITCH (provided all your wired pcs can do 1 GB/s , even though speed negotiation it's auto) and plug all PCs there; and the plug also the wireless access point there as another PC..........

The switch will take care of the connections in a better way than your wireless router will .....

Also, cat5 cables are ok, there is no need to go for anything else

Couple of examples :

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Networking-Hardware/Belkin-5-Port-Gigabit-Switch-F5D51415/3/

I don't like belkin products , TBH

This one lets you decide packet priority in terms of the port used:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3247/netgear_gs605av_5_port_gigabit_network_switch/index3.html

14. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Thanks for the informative post ibitato :pc1:

So a crossover cable is the only way to do it?

Never knew that.

15. ibitato

ibitato Guest

If you want to do PC to PC over a Ethernet cable (point ot point) yes, you need a crossover cable ...........

You can either buy one or do it yourself , with the right tools

http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

Like I said, Id get a cheap 5 port 1GB/s or 100Mb/s SWITCH, to have i around the home .....

I have lik3 3 of them..... laying around........ there is allways use for them if you have >1 rig or laptop...........

16. mdntmank

mdntmank Active Member

GPU:
    3 Evga Gtx 285,s
    no cross over cable needed if gigabit nics

As long as you have gigabit nics in both machines a Crossover cable is not needed as the crossing over is negotiated in the nics enuff said..

17. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    11MB is about all your gonna get over a 54Mb router, so it looks like everything is work okay. You'd need to upgrade everything to a 1Gbps lan if you want to go faster.

Even with a 1Gig lan, you need really fast hard drives to max it out. Most run of the mill HD's can only write at 30-50MBps.

HD's in Raid or most SDD drives should max out 1Gbps lan (100MBps +/-).