Question about the 10.5 driver, regarding 120Hz..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Snooc, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Snooc

Snooc Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1GB
    Hi. I own a ATI 5850. A couple of months ago i bought a Viewsonic 22" LCD screen that's capable of outputting 120Hz with a Dual-DVI cable. I bought It because I play some games competative, and having 120Hz really smooths the gameplay.

After buying the screen, the first problem popped up.. You can't use 120Hz on all the resolutions with ATI.. So after a little research I realized that 'since I play CS etc with 800x600, my purchase was pretty much useless. My reason for using such a low resolution is pure preference, and after weeks of 1680x1050 I simply couldn't get used too it. Back to 75Hz..

Then all of a sudden, ATI releases a driver (think it was 10.2) which they stated "added 120Hz support for windows 7". I got my hands on a copy as fast as I could, but guess what - Yellow lines all over the screen..

So back to my beloved XP I went.. But one month ago, I managed to scale the screen to 8x6 using CCC. I was thrilled! But then another problem popped up - It technically wasn't 800x600, and Scaling added some mouse delay, which for a competative gamer is the end of the world.

But now, finally, ATI FIXES THE PROBLEM ON.. wait.. They only fixed it on the 3xxx and 4xxx series..?

So my question is simple. Why in the world would they not add the same support for their newest series of cards? I really can't find any logical answer.. This problem has existed since the 120Hz LCD's got released basically..

TL;DR - Why only add 120Hz support too 3xxx and 4xxx?

2. Serial T.

Serial T. Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX 780Ti
    The problem is most monitors only support resolutions at certain refresh rates, go through your monitors manual, in the specifications page it should have a section that details the resolutions and refresh rates supported. Likewise check ATI's website and you'll find a faq detailing the same thing.

3. Snooc

Snooc Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1GB
    It does support 120Hz at all resolutions. On nVidia it's simple; add a coustom resolution with the control panel.

4. BeoWulf_

BeoWulf_ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1
    having no problems with my 5870's and the alienware optx 23" 120hz monitor.. every since i got the 5870 i've been able to run 120hz, reguardless of what driver version.

5. Snooc

Snooc Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1GB
    Yeah, that's because you run Windows 7.