5850 + gtx280

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by big_phil2005, Jun 1, 2010.

1. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    Hey guys,

My motherboard is a Asus P5N-D, Im running Windows 7 pro x64.

I am currently using my 5850 toxic as my graphics card, however I still have my GTX280 idling at the bottom of my cupboard. I have tinkered around with the 280 too much to sell, it overheats like a MF.

Now I Had a revelation, that i could put the 280 in along side my 5850, not for physx or anything but more so that I could then get the best of both worlds? Some games run better on Nvidia, some better on AMD.

anyone know if:

1. It is possible to have the 2 different cards in the same system without BSOD?
    2. If I used a DVI splitter in reverse i.e connecting the 2 cards simoultaneously to the one monitor, via control panel could i switch back and forth between cards without the need for dual booting?

Opinions please

Phil

2. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    My opinion. I have read threads where both an ATI and Nvidia card have been installed. The ATI was used for graphics and the Nvidia for Phsyx, don't see why they both could not be used for graphics.
    Your concept of splitting won't work. You will have two outputs going to one end point, not the other way around. You need a switch to feed two to one (one at a time)

3. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    So if I put both in and manually switch the DVI cable I shouldn't have any conflict?

What then about the x16 and the x4 bandwidth will that slow down the second card?

Phil

4. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    Not sure at all, what you want to do is new to me and the reverse of the usual.

I have a novel concept.

Try it.

5. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    I will when I'm sober, I have learned from past experiences, I will post back in the morning, night all!!