What to buy?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tHe_HyBrId, May 27, 2010.

1. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Hello there :)

I'm sure this must have been asked a million times (Maybe not that much :p) before, although this is more money and features related, rather than downright speed.

So right to it, here are my 3 choices:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/222349

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...diaGTX470FermiSeries/Novatech/NOV-GTX470.html

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-004-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411

Between the first two the Palit is obviously a no brainer, although the thing is I can get the Novatech tomorrow afternoon from the store near where I live - and will also therefore have an easier life should I need to return it.. Also my case is pretty well ventilated - CM Stacker 830 Nvidia Limited Edition - with 3 side fans, 1 top, 1 front, 2 back, psu, large zalman 9700nt cooler etc.. So will I need the extra cooling performance of the Palit and should I not be impatient?

Then i'm considering the 5850 (HIS due to the custom cooling and relatively cheap) as its so cheap and I could just crossfire them maybe a year down the line for even cheaper still.. Also Novatech had - not sure where it went - one for about £220 by VTX that seemed to have a massive custom cooler on it..

I would also consider a 5870 if it was maybe £300 or below, although th recent Nvidia driver update is in my mind and I think I'd just prefer to stick with Nvidia for now, mainly because the drivers seem stable/ok for my two 8800GTSs and I know my way around them and what not.. Not had an ATI since my old X1800XT!

So yeh, I'm basically trying to justify whether or not to spend an extra £50 - £60 on a 470 GTX over a 5850 and save the ~£40 over a 5870..

I (currently) play at 1680x1050 and I can see my cards beginning to lag behind the rest of my system a little and with the dreaded SLI graphic glitch in Just Cause 2 for me at the moment and my cars getting older and older, I just feel like a new card to replace them is in order :)

Also would I miss the bokeh filter in Just Cause 2 and maybe other Nvidia specific effects in games like Physx? And I also think the 470 and 5850 are the right sort of level of cards for my system at 1680x1050 to replace my two and last a while too, although if you think otherwise then please say so :)

All and any help is appreciated and I really just want the best price/feature/performance choice for between £200 and £300, thank you :)

HyBrId

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    if the choice between the first 2 is a no brainer, why are they even both in your post? I'd take the 5850 any day, it's £60 cheaper, that's like a nice meal for 2. Performance wise you'll get about the same as the 470.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    what he said...

although i would get a standard 5850..dont think the cooler versions are needed.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-225-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411

i think this standard clocks so better supported by afterburner.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    To give some variety and because I'm tired..? :p

I just put the Novatech one there because I can get it tomorrow afternoon and its from a 'shop' - Novatech factory store nearby - so would be easier to take back if needs be..

Ok so both of you say the 5850 -

1) Because its cheaper and 2) Because it gives similar performance

How about the features though, do you think i'd miss Physx and nifty little things like the bokeh filter in Just Cause 2 or not?

Also what about the 5870 - What are your thoughts on the price/performance compared to the 5850?

Thanks so far :)

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Look, if you have the money, if it's not an issue, buy the 470. it's a slightly faster card and it supports physx. If you don't mind spending the extra £60, go for it. if you're on a budget, buy the 5850. value for money, the 5850 is a better buy. money no subject, buy the 470.

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    5850 and set the extra aside to run crossfire some day