Split/Second PC Demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by chrishathaway, May 22, 2010.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    well if the demo is supposed to be an advertisement to buy they have done a seriously bad job, i was interested in this until i played the demo, while i know the full version has resolution options, its still locked at 30FPS and the quality of the demo leaves a sour taste in my mouth that most if any of the pc patches wont address any of the major concerns.

At least they do a demo though even though it makes me avoid the game.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Just run it on high settings. Same level of detail, less (or no) AA. Maybe its possible to force AA through CCC?

As for the 30FPS thing, you guys need to get past that, not just you Darren, everyone. The game in no way feels like its running 30 FPS, it feels like a perfect 60 FPS and the game is very dynamic. Feels in no way sluggish. The 30 FPS number is just a number. If I sat you in front of this game with no way of monitoring it, you'd never guess it was anything other than 60. Slowdowns on very high notwithstanding.

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I only get slowdowns when I crash into something and it does the slow motion crash with alot of depth of field. The explosions, destruction, and opponent crashes dont slow me down :)

4. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Does this game require a serial to play online?

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Rephrased.

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    just what i was thinking lol

7. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    I don't pirate games. I just wanted to know because I refuse to play with pirates online!

8. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    Nope, no serial required that I could see. Yep, you shouldn't get it because you'll be playing with tons of pirates online..

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  9. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Pirates should be castrated, to stop them spreading... :chainsaw2:

j/k ;)

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    30 fps I can live with if the game runs flawlessly at that framerate on maximum settings. What I can't accept is having to play a game at High rather than Very High settings with no AA because I'll get framerate drops otherwise. If the Xbox 360 can run this game at 1280x720 with 2xAA at 30 fps then I should be able to play at the same settings at 1920x1200 considering my PC pisses all over the six year old console hardware. :3eyes:

THAT is my point!

Anyway, we'll see how Blur runs on the PC. I wonder if that will be locked at 30 fps and force you to play the tutorial at a non-native resolution before you can set the proper one? Will it too falter on maximum settings? Tune in next week when we'll find out... ;)

(I don't think it will personally)

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The framerate drops in the demo at 1280x1024 on what looks like medium settings is worrying. And there's IPlayNaked telling me to play at 1920x1200 on High settings!!! :puke2:

12. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    This demo is AWESOME. Even without any graphic options I loved every split/second of it. :3eyes:

13. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    I think the game is great, easily smacks around NFS Shift in the graphics/performance and enjoyment departments. The game does seem to have issues with Crossfire. I had to disable it, otherwise the capped 30fps would sometimes drop to 25 or so in some spots. My set up Im using is: Phenom X3 8400 with TLB fix disabled, two Radeon 3850 cards (one disabled for this game), SB Audigy, 2 gigs of ram on Win 7 32-bit, game runs great set to high detail, 1280x768 res (Im running my pc on a widescreen 26 inch Toshiba 720p set), at capped 30fps.

I don't know what the deal is with the demo, but the full game was set to high detail, ect right from the get go. The only thing I was annoyed at was having to exit the tutorial to set my game pad controls.

14. chillerkid

chillerkid Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTS 250
    Maybe they want to keep the file size small. maybe that's the reason for taking out resolution size?

correct me if i'm wrong though

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  15. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    I agree on a lot of things with you regarding this game, but saying that we'd never guess it was anything other than 60fps?? I'm not even a hardcore PC gamer and I can tell the difference so easily.

The opening tutorial level ran a bit off too for me, but after adjusting settings to High at 1680x1050, it seems to run better lol. I did a test run with fraps and didn't even see my fps counter budge from 30fps. Even very high is playable, only doing little dips here and there that's masked pretty well by the motion blur

16. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    What? No way. The Split Second demo runs like a three legged dog at 1280x1024 but I have Shift running at 1920x1200 with 4xAA and it maintains 60 fps... :3eyes:

Besides, you can't really compare the two as Shift is a real 'driving' game, where Split Second is just an arcade game for kids...

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The screen resolution is just a setting and requires no additional code beyond the option to set it (obviously). I think you mean texture resolution which is probably low/medium in the demo but can be high/very high in the full game. Textures and audio are what take up space.

18. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    Why would you compare a small demo to a full game? In regards to difficulty, I found SS:V to be harder. NFS:Shift was way too easy for my taste, regardless of being more realistic in handling, it was just easy and dull, running though the paces types of events. I guess the last NFS that really impressed me was Carbon.

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Eh? It runs perfectly fine here. The unchangeable lower res helps obviously.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I decided to purchase the full game against my better judgement. Well, it's certainly fun even if the whole Powerplay concept feels like a one-trick pony but as a PC game it really isn't as good as it should have been. No, really, it isn't!

The game loaded up and proceeded to take me straight to the tutorial without allowing me to customise the graphics settings, exactly like PURE did. Tut! So I had to quit that to access the options which at least had the correct resolution of 1920x1200 selected (unlike the demo!!!) but v-sync was off (pointless in a game that is capped at 30 fps anyway) and detail was only set to High. Since High looks horrendously jaggy, I changed the setting to Very High and went on to play the game properly.

At Very High the game looks quite nice but it's unbelievable to think that there are framerate drops to 20-25 fps in a game where LOD changes and object pop in are still noticeable on maximum settings, particularly considering my system specs far exceed that of either of the consoles. This game should running silky smooth at 60 fps never mind 30 fps so these drops are frustrating and ruin the feel of the game. I've seen hitches during post-race video sequences and generally I just get the sense that this is poorly optimised. Sure, it's enjoyable enough to play but shouldn't we PC owners with mid-to-high end systems be getting a flawless gaming experience with console ports even at 1080p?

P.S. Dropping the setting down to High still doesn't give me a solid 30 fps framerate without drops so something is amiss with either the graphics driver or the game itself. Still, at least the god-awful loading times of PURE do not happen in this game. Seems Black Studio have learnt something after all but they've still got a lot left to learn about how to do PC 'ports' properly IMO.

Last edited: May 28, 2010