so will cat 10.5 work on oem/engineering samples of ati 5870?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by iamgod1985, May 15, 2010.

1. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    thats what i heard from some people here. so far im stuck using 10.1. sucks. I bought this ati card of someone. i didnt know having an oem card means ur out of luck in future drivers. I would have never bought one if i new that.

2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Supposedly, yes, 10.5 will be for OEM cards.

3. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I have a engineering ATI as well but not a 5870 yea ur stuck with the driver pretty much depenind if u got the card from ATI direct they release new drivers for samples sometimes.... U might be able to Edit the Support for the card in tho

4. Rik55

Rik55 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
    Hey iamgod1985,

are you only getting 'out of range' error on your monitor after the restart when installing a new Cat driver.

Start Windows in 640x480 VGA mode. After the suspect driver is installed. Reboot & hold F8. Instead of Safe Mode, select VGA 640x480 mode, then when Windows is up and running, check you have a monitor driver installed then open CCC and select your monitors native resolution.

5. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Is it not possible to flash the bios or edit the .ini files to let you install drivers on engineering samples?

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    This.

I'm pretty sure the ID's are detected via the BIOS, so if you change the BIOS, the product ID should also change, allowing you to install newer drivers.

7. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    thanks bro. but i have already tried going into vga 640 mode after installing 10.3. just got a black screen. I will try it again with 10.4. But 10.4 doesnt even install properly. U know how ur screen flickers when its installing the driver? (10.4 in this case). Well when im installing 10.4 in flickers once, and never again (like it should).

8. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    mod bios and everything problem will be 100% solved. read some more have a pci card and old bios if things go wrong.

9. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    it has been said here that doing that will turn ur oem/engineering sample card into a brick.

10. Mistajista

Mistajista Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    What OS are you on? Have you tried modding the .ini files of the drivers as suggested above? I would have thought that would work...

11. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    im on windows 7. i tried some suggestion someone made (involved changing some stuff in the registry of windows 7 in safe mode.). That suggestion did not work for me, although it did for someone else (wierd). I double checked all the steps and made sure i did it all correct. I am also very good at troubleshooting/fixing comps (not a noob). SO i dont know what to do now lol....

12. Mistajista

Mistajista Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    64bit or 32bit?

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm not sure what steps you followed while doing the registry hack, but it works, as I've done it on 3 different machines myself.

Care to post the *exact* steps? If you can do that, perhaps I can spot the flaw that's making it not work.
    I'm the one that originally posted the reg fix here at Guru3D, as well as at AMD's forums...and I've heard it work for several other people as well, so I'm thinking that something small was missed somewhere...

Psychlone

**EDIT: I forgot to answer the OP question.
    To my knowledge, the registry fix is supposed to be incorporated from 10.5 on - this comes from a reliable source, but no one has a real 10.5 to check this with, so we're all in the dark for now.

14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    This is why I said what I said.
    I remember that you posted that the 10.5 drivers will be able to work on OEM cards. Don't remember where you posted though.

15. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=320435

someone posted the exact step by step instructions in that thread. I followed it and it did not work for me. it worked for another guy there though. Wierd.

edit: oh wait lol, it was you!!!

Wierd how it worked for the other guy but not me. wth am i doing wrong?

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol - it ws me! ;)

Not too sure why it worked for someone else and not you - this has worked for quite a few people now (not just here, but on other forums I've posted it on)

Are you absolutely *SURE* you've entered the registry entries in the correct area?
    /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet002/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/**** (where **** is the number shown in YOUR 2D Driver File Path from Catalyst Information)

Someone else ended up adding the PP_DisableMCDownLoadFeature = 1 entry to folder 0000, 0001 and folder 0002, he also disabled Enableulps in those folders and then it worked fine -perhaps he had several installations of drivers, so it had created several different folders (0000,0001,0002,0003, blah blah)

Just ensure you're doing all this in Safe Mode, in the correct folder in the registry (again, look for that 68 as in BOLD RED above - this is the most common error and the easiest to miss, followed by not knowing which 2D Driver Path is the correct one, so just put the registry entries in all of them, it's not going to hurt anything)

Good luck Bro - I'm sure there's something small that was overlooked...

Psychlone

17. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    ya i checked every single number/letter to make sure it matched. But what i will try is doing it in 0000, 0001 etc etc. (all of them). Will report back if it works (im thinking it will if it did for others.) Crosses fingers and thanks again.

18. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Any news? I'm intrigued as to if it worked or not...
    I can't imagine that there's a dozen different types of engineering sample cards out there - from what I understand, the engineering sample cards use a different memory controller than the retail cards, and that memory controller makes a couple calls to the Windows registry that either don't exist, or the value is incorrect (which is why adding the one line and changing the other to a 1 helps these cards)

As for performance, (because I was concerned that my engineering sample was somehow inferior to the retail cards) - they're on par or even better than their retail counterparts - AND, they'll likely overclock like none other. Mine easily hits 1GHzcore/1.2GHzmem without raising a single voltage, but even better - without raising the temps much higher than the stock speeds produced.

Anyway, just wondering how it's coming along...

Psychlone

19. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    i havent tried it yet. I will soon. So far im just getting by with 10.1s lol and installing/uninstalling 10.3 anytime i want to play bc2. I cant really play the new splinter cell conviction without using 10.4s, and 10.4s dont even detect my card!!! Check back here in a couple of days. I will give it a try and definitly reply back here with results 100%.

20. jaredpace

jaredpace Active Member

GPU:
    4890 975/1150
    it's ez to unbrick if you have an extra graphics card