Piracy is to blame for Ubisoft being in the red

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Devolution, May 19, 2010.

1. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    But wont most of the sales not be on PC- aka wii and 360- thus piracy would have a rather minimal effect on profits

2. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    if they cut the cost on all the crappy drm they would't be in red.
    besides their latest drm causing many people to boycot their games.
    solution seems pretty simple to me

3. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    zer0: Yup, the solution is really simple. Make an example out of Ubisoft (and hopefully of EA), so the other companies _LEARN_ that this sort of thing is unacceptable.

Apply darwinism to them, in fact.

//Svein

4. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    I see this as karma coming to kick them in the ass for the way they handled far cry 2, 3 patches and then they just abandoned it what a joke this is why I refuse to buy any more of their games they owe all of us a proper game not that train wreck they abandoned and hoped no one would notice

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    If they didn't spend large chunk of their budget pushing DRM down our throats maybe they would have recorded profit instead of losses :wanker:

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Flash news : Piracy is to blame for Haiti earth quake.

7. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    Well, let's not forget Activision too...

8. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    + 1

Ubisoft can go and get f***ed as far as i'm concerned

9. ForMol

ForMol Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabite GTX 980ti Xtreme
    They blamed piracy, kinda fun.

Maybe releasing AC2 with no dx10/10.1/11 support is something to blame.

In the age of dx11 generation hardware a dx9 game is not that interesting anymore (ofc, for the PC gamers), not to mention the DRM that made gaming an rich prison experience.

gg Uby, keep up the :backfire:

10. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    I would be so glad to see these fcukers go down and vanish... So sad it won't happen. Alone with EA and Activision they treat gamers like retards, just listen to them go like "here's a new title with +1 number in its name, +3 new weapons in coop and +30$ in price. Preorder collector's edition now and get tshirts and magnets". For f's sake, is this what games are meant to be?

11. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I would like to think that if your games are selling in the millions and you still aren't making enough to stay in the black it's the costs that should be looked at, not the income.

12. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Man. These companies just need to pull a Stardock/Ironclad and treat their customers better.

- PR-0927

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    crytek all over again :(

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i don't remember Activision using the dreaded ubisoft DRM, so i wouldn't include it.

i still buy Activision games. ;)

15. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I don't agree, imagine if this was the case with second hand cars or houses?

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    But some second hand goods are more equal than others!

17. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    As you know I live in argentina.
    We have a devaluated currency, 1 dollar for us is 3.85 pesos, which means every game that to YOU cost about 50 dollars, to us cost about 192 pesos, and since our sallaries here are HALF what you got on the rest of the world, a game could cost as much as halft our salary here for some people, TOTALLY LUDICROUS.

Ubisoft, make games cheap on argentina, uruguay, chile, don't be such stupid biC@H(..

Now, let's do some calculations, our country has ONLY 33 MILLION people ONLY on the capital city of buenos aires (350 km lenght aprox).

With a country wide length of more than 1500 km!!

with that numbers in place, with a CHEAP title, maybe 50 MILLION people will buy your games in our country. At current prices I'M NOT GOING to buy not ONE of their games at that prices, because is freaking ridiculous...
    hell, my wife could kill me for spending HALF THE MONEY we spend on FOOD for the entire month in just ONE GAME, do you understand the level of stupidity of this people?

I left you to consider this...

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    This is completely asinine.

First of all, what relevance does the length of your country have, aside from increasing Ubisoft's shipping costs?

Your 50 million people figure is also completely silly. There aren't even 50 freaking million people in all of Argentina.

Finally, your analysis of the currencies shows a fundamental misunderstanding.

You used the value of your currency as a reason for lower pricing when in truth, its the CAUSE of the high prices. The current value of your currency makes it useless to Ubisoft at any less a price than its currently at. If they charge you 60 pesos for a game, they're making what, 12 bucks? 12 bucks to get the game into a country whose retail channels aren't as developed as the US or Canada or Europe? 12 bucks doesn't even cover the cost of making the box, printing the manual, and putting it on a truck to the store man. Nevermind the millions in development costs.

Look. The point is, it costs Ubisoft more money to retail games in Argentina. Your value of your currency is too low for it to be useful to Ubisoft, or any company, except at high numbers. The demand for games in your country, given the game prices, is low, and this causes a price problem because there's just not enough people down there to justify the expense of shipping, packaging, retailing, etc.

19. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    move country?

20. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    you make it sound easy....