Intel E8500 vs Q9505 and q8400

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by ikhan42, May 15, 2010.

1. ikhan42

ikhan42 New Member

GPU:
    ATI
    Intel E8500 vs Q9550 and q8400

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some help/advise. I currently run a web/DB server at home and a seperate email server, I am starting a business and in the process of building an online presence both these servers are Pentium 4 processors, I am also running a seperate media centre server that a media centre pc talks to for our movies.

Now as you can imagine this means I am eating 1800Watts + of power while these machines are on (24/7 incidently), now I am thinking of replacing these 3 machines with a single machine, since the Intel i series processors have hit the market the old Core 2 duo and quads have dropped in price.

Now its time for me to ake a decision and I am pondering which way to go, I am off the belief that a server is better with as many cores as possible and as much memory as practical. So I was thinking of getting a Q9550 processor is this a good idea or should I use the E8500.

BTW I am tossing up between Windows server 2008 R2 running exchange or a Centos/opensuse linux type server and believe both of these OS will utilise all the processors that I throw at them.

I know the xeon are probably a better option but I have a budget and the xeon are currently out of my price range.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

ikhan42

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. ikhan42

ikhan42 New Member

GPU:
    ATI
    secondary thought

Hi sorry its me again,

Just had a secondary thought if there are any comments on the AMD Phenom II x6 1090T and other phenom processors I am open to suggestions there too, have never used AMD in my life have always been an intel user but the 1090T has 6 cores and seems lika an attractive package just worried about compatability with MS I know generally the linux world is ok with amd but not to sure about MS.

Thanks
    ikhan42

3. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    If servers are going to be the purpose, then a dual core will be fine, if not? Then get the i7 series, since that you should worry more about memory instead of super-ubber processing power, it's a server, so more RAM should be the focus.

And no comment on the other brand of CPUs, never used it and never will.

4. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Edit - nvm -

Last edited: May 16, 2010

5. Hashcz

Hashcz Member

GPU:
    Asus (ATI) 5870
    nasgul is right in servers almost everything depends on ram if u aint got so too much sh**** CPU dual core will be fine...