GeForce GTX 480 liquid cooling Danger Den review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 10, 2010.

1. Lie495s14

Lie495s14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 / Dell.2209wa
    gtx 470 SLI v.s single Danger den gtx 480 oc. that would be interesting.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Nice waterblock and review.

Anyone knows which pump Hilbert used in this review?

3. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
  4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Daaaang, .5kw, lol. Thats one power hungry gpu. Insanely fast for a single gpu though. I've been lookin foward to this review for a while now.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I was misled at first as well since the chart is titled "Graphics card" But I'm relatively certain those are system numbers, not specifically the graphics card.

6. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    OK, now put two of them together in 2xSLI and watch it eat ATI cards for lunch.

7. zombie_666

zombie_666 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    WOW, great performance, it really cools GPU down! With this setup, you really don't need to worry about low FPS.

Man, I would love to pair one or two of them with my dual Xeon setup or to see some review (Bodar?) with two 480 on water and new dual Xeon's. Wonder if such setup would eliminate CPU bootleneck?

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Now that's something I'd like to have.
    Water cooling SLI setup is pretty expensive, and SLI rigs can be noisy without it. While GTX 480 isn't cheap, it makes much sense to use it with water block, as you get loads of performance at low noise. I think it will be a good replacement for GTX 2xx SLI.

9. zombie_666

zombie_666 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    It would really eat ATI's single card and probably dual card like 5970, but there's allways probability that some games "like" one dual GPU card and not two separate cards, but that's already VGA drivers section...One thing is certain, two 480 with good WC solution like this one from Danger Den would be a total overkill, but only in combination with powerfull PSU and really powerfull CPU - capable to handle all that data.

My opinion is that WC is simply must-have for GTX480 owners, especialy for ones with two of them in SLI. Temps on stock cooling simply can't be healthy for either GPU or other components (I mean, 90-95*C are really too much even for excelent cases wit bunch of vents). If somebody can give so much money for a VGA card, some more money extra for decent WC is not that big deal, considering low temps and low noise levels.

All this "fighting" betwen ATI and Nvidia is so amusing to watch...can't wait to see ATI's answer to 480 or even dual 480. Too bad that prices simply won't go down...here in Bosnia, you simply can't buy GTX480 unless you'r in politics or in mafia (i mean, 700-800 euro is more than 95% people here in Bosnia earn in 3 or more months).

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I have had nothing but bad experience with ocuk,i avoid them like the plague,have bought many things from scan and i can recommend them,specialteck are great for watercooling especially custom,they stock everything.

11. 41LY45

41LY45 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5770 Vapor-X
    hope we can see this soon:
    5970 on WC vs 480 on WC

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Shows that this new architecture is awesome, but also came to soon imo.

13. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Since you seem to have unlimited funds, why stop at two 480s? Why not three? Or even four?

The EVGA Classified SR-2 can take two Dual QPI Socket 1366 Intel Xeon 5600 or 5500 Processors, as well as do quad-SLI. Too bad you need a HPTX that has 10 expansion slots to do Quad-SLi with it, though. Not to mention a truckload of cash. Still, if I ever win the lottery...:banana:

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  14. Spetznaz

Spetznaz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 512MB @ 750
    Does the Gtx480 @900Mhz on core touch the performance of the hd5970 @stock?

15. mayankleoboy1

mayankleoboy1 Guest

GPU:
    xfx 9600gt
    with such an excllent cooling, its a shame to be limited to 1.13 volts when you could have gone for 1.3v.
    i wonder if 1050MHZ on the core would have been possible with 1.3V. the memory would also have gone higher.

16. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    The only thing that is not to like is the lack of a single slot brackage. No need to *still* block that second slot when the cooling is just one slot wide.

Other than that, this is the way to go, especially once SLI or even triple SLI comes into play.