Auto-Transmission vs Manual Transmission on VEHICLES

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, May 10, 2010.

?

AT or MT ?

1. Auto Transmission

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Manual Transmission

69 vote(s)
    83.1%
  1. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    Thats called a sequential gearbox and they always have 2 gears selected ready for use(1 down+ 1up) the problem with this type of gearbox is that you cannot select any gear like a manual.
    I agree that modern sequential boxes are awesome, but sadly they cost a lot of money when they go wrong. Not forgetting the fact 95% of auto/sequential are still worse than manual gears.

In the next 5-10 years i suspect nealry all cars will be using sequential/auto as the technology improves and becomes much more reliable for road use.

2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Depends on the car & where I'm driving it. Right now I'm driving a Civic SI that has a "rally" shifter. It's pretty fun.
    [​IMG]

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    ^^ That looks very strange.

I currently drive a manual but over the past few years I'm really starting to hate it. Not that I hate driving a manual, its just the traffic in my area is getting worse and worse. I live 10 miles from my job and it takes me almost an hour to get to work everyday. I can pretty much drive the entire way in second gear.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Manual is more economical, when petrol costs about 1,5 €/litre, transmission does matter. (Ahneet paskat! Kiskurit! And so on...)

Last edited: May 10, 2010

5. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I currently drive a Mazda 6 with AT. I've had fun using the "Manual" mode and it becomes habit switching gears. I figure my next car will be manual just so I can get a good comparison and see how much I like it. In the area I currently live we have lots of back country roads with light traffic and high speed limits which makes a very fun combination for driving. Where I live in the future may not though.

6. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    Manual simply rocks

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That's true with diesel engines (Toyota Avensis D-4D 2.2 A/T and M/T)
    Combined: 7,0 - 5,5
    City: 8,6 - 7.0
    Outside city: 5,0 - 4,7

If you mostly drive in city, then there is difference indeed, but if you like outside big cities and mainly drive longer distance, that 0,3L isn't huge difference. Diesel is "only" a bit over 1€/Litre Dad has been thinking about getting automatic one.

Petrol Avensis 2,0 Valvematic 6 M/T vs Valvematic Multidrive S

Combined (l/100 km): 6,9 - 7,0
    City (l/100 km): 9,1 - 9,2
    Otsude city (l/100km): 5,6 - 5,7

0,1L aka no difference... (source).

Subaru I heard has good automatic which doesnt increade fuel consumption much, perhaps it's the AWD which already makes it consume more fuel and you cant see much difference between A/T and M/T.

8. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    /facepalm

9. Taman Linkin

Taman Linkin Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX470
    both? thats why i have manual and auto cars. manual for twisties/trackdays, auto for town/cruising.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Subaru Legacy with CVT consumes less fuel than AT and MT variants and it has manual mode too. Their CVT transmission is pretty good, AT version uses more fuel than MT and CVT variants.

11. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Manual is more fun, to me. I've driven both honda S2000 and nissan 350z with sport gear boxes, though they are harder to shift properly than a normal car they are quite fun, I found I dont notice much after getting useto driving them.

Though currently I own an automatic toyota, it has a 4-speed(A340E POS without mods).
    Where I currently live theres lots of nice backroads, quite fun to drive on. Though I usually try to shift before 4,000RPM's(I like my car) on the engine and trying to do this on an automatic is very annoying, shift times are slow and sluggish, mostly auto's are designed for comfort...

Though if you dont care much about backroads, ect and you are not much into driving than an auto is probably better, more comfortable.

Really depends on the preference of the driver.

offtopic: Do trackdays only exist in europe? I cannot seem to find any information here in america.

12. OCZ

OCZ Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    My dad recently bought 1.5R Impreza with auto transmission. That's the most boring car I've seen so far. Slow as fu** but has big fuel consumption (around 12-13L/100Km, city conditions of use) - mainly because of AWD and auto transmission.

Always manual for me, much more fun and control over the car.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hu? For what? Sorry man i didnt born in UK as u did so my english skill is not as good as u. I did translated it with my low level english and maybe made a mistake and u become RUDE agaisnt it? Unacceptable and not polite. U r a good fella i think i understood u wrong hu?

14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    My father is getting a DSG transmission with his Octavia L&K, can't wait to give it a spin !

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Or just because of it has too small engine for "heavy" awd car. I bet that 2.0L engine would consume less. Trying to accelerate fast with small engine increases fuel consumption very much.

"lisence for transmission"

You forgot to say which kind of transmission... "Lisence for automatic/manual transmission"

16. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    All my cars had a manual transmission , now my last one has got a 6-speed auto-transmission with 3 settings :full auto , sport auto , steptronic(shift gear manualy but no clutch)

Well try to follow me with the manual gear , you just can change gears that fast by hand. So for my no more manual , from now on i'm a lazzy old fart in some peoples eyes when I say I drive auto gearbox , that changes quick when I leave them by the trafic light. :flip2: :cop:

17. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Manual, get the most out of the car and your actually in control.

18. OCZ

OCZ Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    That playes a part too. I think the car weights almost 1400kg, which is quite heavy for 1.5 engine with 107HP (so the specs say).

19. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Hey.

lazy ≠ slow

Capito?

20. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I love Mechanical Manual Transmissions but I stuck with a Hydraulic Manual Transmission atm..,