Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 with a Windows Machine

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Alex Vojacek, May 8, 2010.

1. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    A lot of people ask me about this, and they are people still that think you have to partition disks to try ubuntu so, to clarify this you can check my own review of ubuntu with pictures (should help to read this tutorial seeing the pictures of my review (wubi installation), it should clarify things up.

http://www.tecnogaming.com/software/reviews-software/ubuntu-1004-lucid-lynx (use google translate if you do not speak spanish)

seeing the pictures on the Wubi Installation, follow these steps.

(for this type of installation YOU DON'T EVEN NEED a physical CD, all will be done inside windows).

1- go to www.ubuntu.com and select your type of installation (32bit or 64bit) if you have more than 2Gb of RAM select 64bit, select your download location.

2- go to Daemon Tools and install Daemons tools lite (free version)
    http://www.disk-tools.com/request?p=afc1d19b86ed1a45790ae10a3ebda381/DTLite4356-0091.exe

3- mount in Daemon Tools the .ISO image you just downloaded from Ubuntu.

4- execute Wubi (the ubuntu installer).

5- select a partition on your disk that best suite ubuntu (remember wubi will NOT create partitions on your disk, it will use a virtual file as ubuntu partition, it will create a directory called C:\ubuntu if you install in C, for example.

6- select the partition space (no more than 7gb) by default is 15Gb.

7-let it install

8- reboot machine and in the boot menu select ubuntu

9- let it install automatically, will prompt for reboot when it's done.

10- select ubuntu when PC reboots and you're ready to go!

11- once in Ubuntu, wait for it to show the "Restricted Drivers Install" and ask yes, to install restricted drivers for your card.

12- restart machine and with right mouse button go to "effects" and put "extra".

13- if you want to have total control of the desktop effects like my second video, you have to open up a console (it's in the system I think)

once in the console type this

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compizfusion-extra-plugins

this is a single line with space, apt-get will install all for yourself, when it's done, select compiz-config in the system menu and go experiment!!

hope this helps, you can register in the ubuntu community, really noobs friendly here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org

2. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    I'd like to add this is a wonderful tutorial, but most of these things, and some more advanced things can be accomplished easily using ubuntu tweak.

I also install globalmenu on my linux desktops, it frees up a bunch of screen space.

http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/

If you are using lucid just add the karmic repository it works the same.

3. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Thank you, will try it out, didn't knew about this utility!

4. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750

5. duude

duude Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 1gb
    You have to type this in the console

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

6. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Guys, you should also try linux mint 9 (isadora). It's based on ubuntu's 10.04 Lucid Lynx release, but the best thing about it is that it's alot more polished and comes with media playback support. Everything you'd ever need to play or create, just like in windows. Plus the interface is custom-built as well. I'm typing this post on Linux Mint 9 this very instant, and am getting more and more addicted to it. If only gaming was possible on Linux:(...

http://www.linuxmint.com/

7. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Oh this came in a good time. Thx for the links. I wanted to try linux but didn't wanted to particionate my other HD.

What are the differences compared with running linux natively?

8. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

^^

Not that much, really. I've barely noticed any decrease in performance running the wubi based installer, though it's recommended to install linux in it's own partition, if you wish to stick to it for long-term. I'm preparing my hard drive to install linux mint 9 for long term now, because I simply love the minimalist interface portrayed by it. Plus the compiz 3d interface customizations puts the icing on an already delicious cake. If you haven't seen the 3d Lucid Lynx video posted here, then you're missing out alot.

If you know how to manage codecs and install them, run ubuntu. If however, you want out of the box media playback support, then linux mint 9 is your best option, since it's based on Ubuntu's 10.04 Lucid Lynx.