Craigslist Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DrD0ctor, May 9, 2010.

1. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've been trying to sell my pc on craigslist for a while now, and i got a response but I'm not sure if he sounds legit (its my first time selling on craigslist)

Here's the email he sent:

"Thank you for the response.I am okay with the price and the
    condition.My mode of payment will be by certified cashier check in US
    dollars,because that is the only convenient means for me.Concerning
    the shipment,my shipper will be at your place for the pick up after
    you receive the payment and when it clears .I really wish to be there
    to check out the item but i dont have chance.Please let me have the
    following so that the payment can be made to you .
    Your Full Name to be on the Check your
    Full contact Address(Not P.O.Box) ,
    Your Zip code and your Mobile and
    Land Number so that the payment can be send to you okay. ASAP"

It sounds kind of fishy to me, a cashiers check? Why? Then again he said the "shipper" will come get the pc AFTER i receive my payment. Any input? What would some of you do? Thanks.

2. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    It's a scam.

You would go and cash the check, then ship the computer. After ~3 weeks when the bank finds out the check wasn't real it takes it out of your account with any fees/whatever. So you will bear the full brunt of the costs and lose the comp at the same time.

Any time someone offers a cashier check on craigslist it's a scam. The site is supposed to be for local buyer/sellers anyway.

It's popular in since it takes a couple weeks for the bank to figure it's bogus, and by then the item is usually always shipped.

3. sambo60

sambo60 Member

GPU:
    CrossfireX 2x 1GB HD4870s
    It's not true that it's always a scam (I've purchased things on CL using cashier's checks before), but in this case it definitely is. They all seem to word their scam emails the same way (badly) and it's always the same story. If someone called you and asked to pay you by cashier's check, and was willing to let you wait a while for it to really clear before shipping, I'd say it's probably legit. But what you have here is the same old generic craigslist scam. Don't fall for it.

4. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    Yeah, the only thing that got me was the "my shipper will be at your place for the pick up after you receive the payment and when it clears" part, i guess I'll wait it out a little longer.

btw what would you guys consider a good price for my rig? All the same except the mobo is an AsRock x58 Extreme and it has 5GB of DDR3 (1x 2GB G skill and 3x 1GB Supertalent)

I set it at $900 to get the most out of what I originally paid, but I'm thinking with all these new GPU's and CPU's out that maybe that's too high now.

Last edited: May 9, 2010

5. sambo60

sambo60 Member

GPU:
    CrossfireX 2x 1GB HD4870s
    The scammer you've encountered could also be pulling a different scam, where he gives you a fake check for more than you were supposed to be getting, and then tells you to wire him a part of the difference (he's a nice guy, so he lets you "keep" part of the difference for yourself). When the check is discovered as a fake, you are out whatever money you wired him, and of course you lose the money from the check as well. The guy is a scammer. I have no doubt about it.

6. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    If you fall for that then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. That scam is common practice. You don't ever deal with anyone in Craigslist unless it's through Paypal or face to face in a public place.

7. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    Thanks guys, I knew it sounded fishy, but I'm new to craigslist (more of an amazon/ebay guy) thanks again.

oh and does the price seem right? check my last post. I need to sell this thing.