Ubuntu 10.04 Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 4, 2010.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Looks great and so snappy. If only they had dx 9,10,11 for Linux i'd be all over it. Their communit is definitly catching up with features, drivers..etc. but i wish they would make their repositories easier for noobs to find cool apps and necessary drivers.

2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Considering how far Ubuntu has come i'd say it needs time to become more user friendly overall.

3. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    I really don't know why you had to do that if ubuntu already has the latest forceware drivers right in their repositories

You only had to open up a console and type this
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185 (btw it will install version 195)

Now you can't install by repositories becasue you changed the kernel, and ohh... you could've asked, it's true what they say about community, it may be difficult sometimes, but we are always here to answer any doubts.

4. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Linux has tons of options when you want to go 'creative'. There are tons of window managers, desktop managers and themes that are designed for them that you can install and use.
    Problem is tho, that they do not always play nice with each other.

Let's not just give props to only Ubuntu here. Ubuntu did only small portion of the work (packaging and distribution). The real work was done by the massive amount of opensource developers (be it coder, tester, ui designer, etc.) and especially to the Debian team & contributors over the years.

You could probably find a hand full of other distro which can and does rival the usability and user friendliness of Ubuntu.

5. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX6800M
    Quite simple the required packages all failed to install with an error so i couldn't access the internet. So I downloaded the Linux drivers through windows, built them, installed them, set up my wireless then installed the restricted drivers. All was running well until I needed some more space and deleted the partition.

Dave

6. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    That's because you didn't selected a repository close to you and the repository configured by default was laggin, you just go to "software sources" and change the default repository, you can even go "test" for the best one, once ubuntu updates all the databases (takes some time) it will automatically detect your hardware and ask to install restricted drivers.

IF you don't have the respositories working, it will never detect new hardware and ask for restricted drivers, because it will never find them on the internet.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

lol, i think thats part of the problem, no one wants to learn what commands to type into terminal much less type anything just to install something.
    I spent many hours just learning very basic things, some of which i done forgot quickly. Their apps have really weird names that tell nothing of what it is or does till you click on it and figure it out and if you don't spend years with it, seems like it takes forever to do similar things i get done in seconds with Windows...those are my only main gripes as far as useability go. I found the support community not very helpful either but depends where you go i guess and i had like question after question after question, half of which got ignored or scoffed at. Though the thought of building my own custom OS tailored just for my preferences always sounds enticing, if only devs would adopt OpenGL again, i'd be more into it.

8. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    the download file size was like 700mb and the installed file was about 17gb....wtf? Now I am out of space on my windows 7 partition

9. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    You didn't selected a suitable space for the virtual partition, please, LOOK before going forward.

As soon as wubi executes it gives you a window saying "how much space do you want to use for ubuntu partition" instead of partition your disk it will "reserve" space on a file for the partition, giving there just 7Gb should be more than enough for ubuntu, default is like 15Gb, you just put forward without seeing.. that's why.

Just go to "add remove" and remove ubuntu, execute wubi again (select another unit instead of C if you have one) and don't select more than 7gb of partition to ubuntu (it really don't need more than that, and you should be set.

10. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    I understand but.

if the process goes without your intervention, ubuntu should detect the device automatically and this shouldn't happen.

IF you want to do it manually, all you have to do is type this.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx185

how hard can this be?

really, I install drivers for ubuntu faster than you go to the website, select the driver, download it, execute it and restart the machine.

Alex.

So afraid of learning something new?

11. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Looks like you know alot about ubuntu and I am a total noob to this. I have never touched linux/ubuntu(I dont know if they are the same) before so it's something new for me. Know any link that guide noobs through ubuntu/linux?

12. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    You have guides in the www.ubuntuforums.org

If you want I can give you a step-by-step tutorial I just gave to another user in the forums.

13. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I will check those forums out and that would be great if I get the link to that step-by-step tutorial you gave to another user :)

14. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
  15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    or use a live cd so you can see if its something you'd like to install

16. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
  17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i've always used Ubuntu as my favorite OS of choice for my laptop (along with W7 32bit for windows apps, even though i occasionally use Wine), Ubuntu is an excellent operating system that just works, its secure and almost never crashes with hundreds of free apps and fun games out there, really liking 10.04 i'm noticing better performance and the desktop seem snappier.

dont care about Lucid Lynx tbh, but i'm also a big fan of Linux Mint it's a good alternative to Ubuntu.

18. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    I think you missunderstand the name, Ubuntu 10.04 IS Lucid Lynx, let me explain.

Ubuntu always adopts a name which repeat a "letter" in the 2 words, for example

Ubuntu 8.04 was Hardy Heron (development name)
    Ubuntu 8.10 was Intrepid Ibex
    Ubuntu 9.04 was Jaunty Jackalope
    Ubuntu 9.10 was Karmic Koala
    Ubuntu 10.04 IS Lucid Lynx

Noticing a trend over here? they are repeating the first letter of the alphabet and going on forward, the next version that will be called Ubuntu 10.10 (and as I understand it seems it's name will be Maverick Meerkat ) again, following tradition.

Don't ask me what happens when they run out of letters :)

This not too much people know about or don't do the association, well, now you know.

19. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Im surprised no one has mentioned the boot time, or lack there of. In virtualbox, with a SSD, 10.04 boots in just under 4 seconds. My old dual opteron 1.6ghz with an old ass IDE HDD boots it in 21 seconds.

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The boot-up time is indeed fast, not going to lie. It rivals my MacOS X bootup of ~40 seconds to login on my Macbook with a 5400RPM HDD. In my VirtualBox, Ubuntu 10.04 boots in about 10 seconds on my WDC Caviar Black.

So ya, the bootup time is notable.

deltatux