GPU Scaling?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by redm, May 1, 2010.

1. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Does GPU Scaling work as expected with the 10.4 Driver? The last one it actually worked was 9.8 ...

2. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I've been using gpu scaling for months, why is it "not working as expected"?

3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I can't speak for the OP but going by my own experiences I can enable GPU scaling by ticking the box the radio buttons that allow selecting a mode of operation remains greyed out.

This is also the case in the WHQL 10.4 for me.

4. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Yep, the option "Maintain aspect ratio" is always grayed out. It´s selectable only if you choose a lower resolution than your monitors´ native, but this method has stopped working for me since version 9.8

5. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    I'm using HDMI and gpu scaling is working just fine here on all drivers so far.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    GPU scaling is working fine for me too and has been with all the 10.3 and 10.4 drivers I've tried.

All I did was drop down from my native resolution of 1920x1200 to 1920x1080, enabled GPU scaling with Fixed Aspect Ratio, hit Apply then switched back. Now whenever I run a game in full-screen that isn't 1920x1200 native such as 3DMark06 on default then I get the correct aspect ratio but the image is upscaled as large as can fit to the screen with top/bottom or side borders.

7. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Works fine for me, using 10.4a preview, never had an issue. Once I dropped my res to 1680x1050 and changed the option to Maintain aspect ratio it has been set ever since 10.1 or so.

8. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    it could be that your monitor has limited metrics as in can't scale according to GPU. Internal not enoughs.

I have no problems using an HP Widescreen 16x9 20" monitor.

9. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    That should not be a problem. Like i said when using the 9.8 Driver i switch to a lower resolution and set up GPU Scaling with maintaining aspect ratio and everything works. With the newer driver sets it doesn´t.

10. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    what type of monitor do you have? (name brand and the specs)

if you have an older style, chances are it doesn't take advantage of the 'newer' metrics.

I'm using 10.3 OGL4 number two tried all the drivers as of late.

with the older 9.12 drivers, and one of the 10.x first ones, GPU scaling had some problems. I also did not install HP monitor drivers, after I installed the monitor drivers GPU scaling works. In the case where I did not install these HP drivers, the scaling options were all 'greyed' out. So, try therefore to read up on your monitor type and specs to match what is said as closely as possible to GPU. these things all work if you have the right drivers and if they are upto spec. don't guess and say it was working with so and so drivers, those are 'older' drivers. they get outdated as fast as you can sneeze.

read up

11. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    I was wondering or there is a way to scale it up, like getting 1920x1080 to go on a 1680x1050 screen.
    I heard NV was capable of doing this.

12. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You mean 1920x1200 right? Scaling up to a different aspect ratio might look a little off. As far as I know ATi doesn't have this feature. I could be wrong though.

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    dunno about you guys, but with the '10.5b' it has some issues with the gpu scaling.

its nothing major, but if i drop down from the native resolution to a lower resolution, enable gpu scaling, and then choose maintain aspect ratio, it works fine for that lower resolution. however, when i bring it back up to native resolution, it drops back down to 'scale to full panel size'.

i thought it might just be because im using a 37" panasonic ips panel tv, but the same thing happens on my asus 24inch monitor. doesnt really matter much though since i play at 1920x1080.

14. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    Sever,

I would say that since 10.5b is beta, that nothing you can do except wait for a good verison. unless you tinker with the settings a bit to see what happens.

But we should all voice these to ATI for the fix so that on their subsequent beta's some engineer has the fix on hand and can directly transfer them into these 'community' 'test' drivers.

Usually in a software environment there's a thing called Version checking software pool (what they are working on). QnA. All loaded on one mainframe server with the ones they are working on. Then each downloads from that server onto there computers to work on and when they are finished they upload it back to the mainframe server.

The thing is that they don't seem to be taking notice and having these fixes updated to the newer tests. For instance, OGL4 someone over there did a good job to increase FPS. For me to gain 20FPS is great.

Some monitors don't have drivers and results to Generic in the Device Manager. This is no good for Digital HD Screens, that have scaling and other nifty options.

Before with the bohonkin monster tubes, they all predominantly had 'drivers' and the video cards could scale. Driver's in this case told the system and video card, 'hey' I can go higher resolutions and upto 90Hz at
    xxx resolution. This is not the case however with these newer Screens.

Some monitors have the drivers built in or the metrics built in so the system and GPU can detect them. You'll see the CCC say, 'the Monitor reports it can achieve so and so resolution namely higher than what you have picked, but at the cost of refresh rate. But not all Monitor makers follow suit or a the univeral code. They instead use their own.

On a 20" widescreen the native is usually within 1600x900@60Hz
    this monitor I have is able to reach 1920x1200@50Hz

The other thing you might want to mess with is the
    DVI settings

For some reason CCC always selects 'Alternate DVI Operational mode'
    So in this section I have 'no' check marks.

Then in the "Image Scaling" I have 'Scale image to full panel size'
    the other two doesn't scale to full panel size but leaves the black borders.

Since I have a widescreen 16x9 no sense in having 4:3.

15. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Well yes, upscaling with same aspect ratio (or not).

But i was hoping someone out here knew some miraculous trick to get this done on ATI.