Need help in win 7(Activation prob).

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DXX, May 4, 2010.

1. DXX

DXX Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5850CF
    I recently changed my mobo so i had to reinstall and reactivate my win7 but it wont work by automatic activation process so i had to activate it by phone.But after doing automatic upgrade it tell me to reactivate again but why?Then i talked to customer service and he gave me a new confirmation ID.Now it is activated again but will it happen again?Also if i format and reinstall again would i have to activate again through phone?or can i use automatic online method?

PS:I am using retail copy of Win7 Home premium X64.

2. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    i had to always get a phone confirmation for vista when i re-activated from installing new hardware etc, i haven't had to do it yet for win 7 but only done 2 installs since launch

3. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    If it is activated to what you have now and all is working nicely, a re-install should yield a positive automatic activation as your stuff is now in their activation data base. I say this with crossed fingers though.

4. DXX

DXX Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5850CF
    But in my case i successfully activated by phone.The problem began when i update the windows by automatic update.After the upgrade my activation status was reset and i could not activate it by automatic system,i had to call customer service(gave me new ID) .

my question is do i have to phone m$ every time after a reinstall?If so then i am ripped because i have to give toll fee for the calls :(

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you purchased 1 version of Windows7, then purchased an Upgrade to another version of Windows7 (example: Home Premium to Professional using Anytime Upgrade), then you have to activate Windows twice. There is a product activation for the original version of Windows, as well as the "upgrade". By design, once Windows is activated on a particular hardware set, it should activate every time Windows is installed as that same hardware set. This isn't always the case though...BUT, If you're installing Windows enough times for the toll fee to make an impact, you're installing Windows far too frequently. If the system is properly maintained, you shouldn't have to install Windows unless there's a system failure of some sort.

6. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I swapped motherboards this past week. Went from a EVGA 750i to a DFI x48 & only had to activate online & no problems, no re-install. All is well..in fact, it is better than before.

7. DXX

DXX Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5850CF
    Hmm it seems all is working well.Today i had to reinstall because of some nasty driver issue on my CF setup.Online activation worked fine.Thnx guys for your important information.I was a overreacting earlier lol.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It shouldn't deactivate by itself unless you changed your hardware significantly. Like a new motherboard, CPU and RAM or something.

You can use the Internet reactivation once every 3 months. Else, you'd need to use the phone activation method.

Yes, you do have to reactivate for every install.

deltatux