Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is out

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 2, 2010.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Ubuntu is great for starter or cheap systems. Even more for people who are new to linux, and need somewhere to start. Just to kill a bunch of time, I use Ubuntu for an emulator/internet media/pictures/network machine for my family room TV. Works great.

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    From reading your post it shows me even more reasons why i have no desire to install linux, because all of that (other then possibly the 4-desktop thing, which i've messed with before and see no point to) is already possible on Windows, though it may "consume less memory", do i really need an entire 'nother OS just to run programs i can already run for less memory?

For servers, i see the point, maybe even a media center, but for my main computer....nothing you told me gives me any reason to want to use it

It's like a Mac, i can DO everything a Mac can do on Windows, though it may be slower in some areas, or take more resources, but it's a small amount to pay since mac can NOT do everything windows can do

Now, i'm not trying to make a "mac vs linux vs windows" war, this forum, aswell as the world, have had enough of those, i'm just simply stating the reasons here aren't that.....amazing

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    ^This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge, but I really don't understand why I'd want to use this when I've already got Windows 7 installed.

4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    The 3D desktop is pretty cool. I can see where MS got the ideas for Vista and 7.

There are just two things I really don't like about the whole concept of Linux. No games, and the CLI.

a) All the commands are abbreviated to death. Everything is cut down to 2 letters, and they don't even make sense to someone who speaks English.
    b) Linux has abbreviated commands, yet, Linux CLI users always go on about the magic TAB key. Why abbreviate when there is the TAB key?

There's my rant. I think I'll try to get a few Quake based games running. :p

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Awesome.

6. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    It also supports virtual computing from the get go. That is why there are 4 desktops, and 8 terminals.

Really, the only two things it doesn't have are DirectX (or a multi billion dollar industry supporting your games), or very good support (or a multi billion dollar industry supporting you).

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Did someone actually download and install this ? Tried Ubuntu a bit over a year ago and was not happy with it. So, any reasons to give it another try ?

8. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    the biggest deal using linux (in this case Ubuntu) is that there are litterally tons of free applications to use. that's the biggest difference from win. other than that is more stable, faster and fully customizable if you know where to look at in case of mistake. being a totally open ad customizable os you can tweak everyting, but you need to know what you are changing, so the first time it's difficult. ubuntu is a simple distribution for newcomer, archlinux is for pro...my old pc used 88 mb ram at boot with arch. :banana:

9. Moustacha

Moustacha Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    I really hate the design change they've gone with on 10.04.
    I like Linux Mint now, it's got a better design IMO, and since it's based on ubuntu, it's got all the support ubuntu does. (repos, help, etc)

10. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I dunno. Not really? If you have a want or need to understand Linux, then yeh, grab it. If you're just curious and have a spare 700MB of downloads laying around, you could give it a go. You could also use the ISO as a backup OS. It can be useful if you get a virus or your Windows fails and you need to get into the filesystem to grab some important data.

I just grabbed it because I tried it once, didn't get it, now I'm going to give it another try. I'm already having fun not playing any games because I can't even get the flippin' things to launch.

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    HDD space or download limit isn't the problem. The thing is that I would not want to waste hours for it if someone can say that it's clearly not worth it.

Used to have Debian quite long before went with PC-BSD/FreeBSD. ATM it's just Windows. Might need to refresh my skills with those, but I wonder if Ubuntu is right distro for it.

12. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    I never like stable Debian, too out of date for me (I use sidux on one of my other PC's). Tried PC-BSD in the past, it wouldn't boot. FreeBSD was a confusing mess: I never got it working properly under VBox or a normal install.

13. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    War of the Linux, get back to your houses kids this is about to get dirty! :D

14. Aegis

Aegis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim X
    I just got Ubuntu 10.04 up and running on an old Pentium 4 Shuttle box and it's quite nifty - performance is probably on a par with WinXP (except or course, Ubuntu boots and shuts down waaay faster).

Hardware configuration was sweet - everything just worked - the only thing I had an issue with was a 5-year-old Inventel Wi-Fi dongle which I managed to get working using Windows XP drivers.

I've got Chrome, VLC, Handbrake and a number of other apps installed and it's really given this antique a new lease of life - gonna have to find all the bits for my dismantled dual-Xeon workstation and try Ubuntu on that with XP running under Virtual Box - should be a helluva setup :)

15. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    I installed Lucid on my MacBook Pro and dual boot with Snow leopard. I have to say that Ubuntu could probably boot about 3 times before SL can lol. The only annoying part is the GRUB loader when you first boot into Linux. Everything is snappy and smooth. It even supports 2 finger scrolling, tap, 2 finger tap, etc right out of the box (err .iso as it were). thinking of giving a lot of 64bit stuff a try later. Like 64bit Chrome, Minefield, Flash and such. Should be fun :)

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't tend to need cutting edge, stability is key for me. OpenSUSE boot times aren't bad, faster than Windows. If you really want quick boot-up, then FreeBSD is quicker than most Linux distros. Like I said if you use the custom install then you can remove the bloat.

For me, the restrictions Ubuntu imposes just to make it easier for newcomers are annoying to me. Furthermore, Kubuntu is broken and I can't stand GNOME. I do use Linux Mint, it works better than Ubuntu/Kubuntu imo.

Not to say I don't use Ubuntu at all, I have it installed as a virtual machine for testing and integration if someone ever asks me an Ubuntu specific question I still got resources to look up the answers for it.

deltatux

17. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Can you please explain what restrictions Ubuntu imposes?

I am a system administrator, and an overall linux geek, and I love Ubuntu. I have used everything From Red Hat to Fedora to Gentoo to Yellowdog, and I don't see how Ubuntu is all that limiting.

Yeah, you have the option of getting software binaries. So? I rather have software binaries that have been tested than sit around for 3 days trying to figure out why some source won't compile (*cough* Gentoo *cough*). The best part is, when you want to be a total geek and build stuff from source code, you still can. Nothing in Ubuntu restricts this.

I write a lot of C and bash scripts, and I fail to see how Ubuntu limits the use of system programming.