Strange problem with W7.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DLD, May 2, 2010.

1. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Until yesterday I had an e8400. I bought 9505 and replaced the old one. Now, in XP 32bit, everything is as it should be, but in W7 64bit the CPU is recognized as 2 core. Device manager says 4 cores, but within the Win task manager only two cores are being reported. CPUZ says 'two cores' too (in XP it says '4 cores'). I've got the latest BIOS, C-MOS values set to 'default', all the critical updates for W7 are installed...
    WTF is going on?!
    :bang:

2. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    In Msconfig, what is the "Number Of Processors" listed as under the Boot tab...Advanced Options??

3. RyPaul

RyPaul Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTS 450 1024M
    What edition of Windows 7 are you using?
    home basic, etc.

4. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    msconfig solution as nvlddmkm suggested. Search 'msconfig' > Boot tab > Advanced Options > Number of Processors

5. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Problem solved! Thanx nvlddmkm, thanx superweapons!

within the msconfig>boot>advanced I found out that the 'number of processors' was '2' (allowing me to choose between '1' and '2'). I unchecked the box instead, which made the area gray, and after restart...4 cores are there!

I must say, this looks like another (among the many) minus for W7. It is just like micro$oft: blunders, unpleasant surprises, unnecessary obstacles. I mean, why this did not occur in XP (installed on the same machine)?
    Am I to believe that programmers at m$ were not aware of the possibility that someone out there could make an upgrade of their system with a 4 or 6 core CPU replacing the one with 1 or 2 cores?
    Or should I conclude that XP is still unbeatable?

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think it's just a simple misdetection. I've never had this problem before even though I know how to fix it as you have figured out there.

I would still rather run Vista or higher than to run XP whenever the choice is there.

deltatux

7. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    It is a misdetection, undoubtedly, and it might be a simple one, but surely it can produce a lots of (needless) pain to lots of people. Anyway, I found this problem pretty common nowadays as more people buying more and more multicore CPUs.
    I did some testings before and after this 'simple misdetection' and what a difference it made! And I can only imagine how many people aren't even aware of running the machine with the crippled CPU inside!

8. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    u do not have corruption. if the os is set to detect 2 cores then that is all you will see untill you change it or uncheck it, which the op has.