Crossfire 58XX tessellation problems solved.!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by perosmct, Apr 7, 2010.

1. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    nothing bad will happen, but we are smarter than vga providers, keep backuped your stock bios, and if you experience anything, flash it back...but give a try;)

2. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Tried the 8.73 drivers but Heaven 2.0 still crashes every single time. The benchmark freezes, but the mouse can still be moved and the music carries on. However, you can't ctrl alt delete and you just have to press the PC reset button

Is this the same problem you guys have?

3. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    even the 8.74 i have now, if you try, you will have this problem again...

try flashing your 5850 with other bios (5850 or 5870 best), until you find the one which perfectly communicates with your motherboard and your 5970...or find other 5970 bios and flash it also...anyway this is not driver related, it's about a missunderstanding between the 2 vga cards...it's all about vga bios ;)

and dont forget trying reinstalling DXsdk Feb2010 and update your motherboard bios...anything you change may unlock the locked door between (2-4) gpu's..:)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    as far as I know it's a 5800 series problem only.

5. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    nevermind, I had a lot more to say but I erased it. Not my place.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  6. i have never flashed a VGA bios before, the only flashing i've ever done was on a tour bus in europe lol....or and ive done a bios flash for my motherboard using a floppy disk back in the day.

Nowadays do I need a bootable usb drive?

7. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    I thought the only problem people were having with tessellation was with the Windows 7 RC1?

As far as I know, no one has issues with CF and tessellation. That is news to me.

Also, for a problem which you say is not related to drivers, yet you inform people to download a specific driver as part of the remedy, it doesn't make sense. You also can't say you were using a PC before any other person unless you psychic. That right there is proof of noobism (sp?) :)

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    ive been using 64 ultimate genuine (cost me a week's pay >.<). still has issues. hopefully it is something as simple as a driver fix.

9. anyone with this tessellation problem tried the 10.4 officials yet? im still at work, will investigate tonight. *crosses fingers*

10. HM76

HM76 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 CF
    Already tried 10.4 official, still crash on tessellation, arghhh :(:(

11. abrarhaq

abrarhaq Member

GPU:
    2 x HD 5850 / 1024mb
  12. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    Hi, I have the same problem of the OP. I tried this fix, but didn't work, I have to do something specific to make it work?

Metro , dirt 2, Unigine 2.0 and Stone giant don't work with tessellation enabled and crossfire.

Please help:wanker:

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    technically, tessellation is only available in dx11 supported cards, hence your 4850s cant do tessellation, hence you dont have the issue and wouldnt know if its fixed or not (unless you have a 5000 series card and havent updated your specs).

also, that fix literally does nothing more than change the ddi number in dxdiag from 10.1 to 11 in dx11 cards, which once more, does not affect your 4850. ddi number never mattered because dx11 cards would still run games in dx11 mode regardless of the ddi number.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  14. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    Yes , DX11 with only one card always worked for me with DDI 10.1 reported in dxdiag, so I think it's not a fix really ...

Anyway , the 5870 XFX bios doesn't work for me. Unigine 2.0 still freezes after 10 to 20 seconds with the error "D3D11AppWindow::do_swap(): device removed", then the AMD driver resets.

Luckily I don't have to reset the system with the power button like someone else in this thread, but the driver crash recovery system for me works just fine.

The same exact thing happens with Stone giant, Metro 2033 and Dirt 2 (only with tessellation enabled), BUT strangely this doesn't happen with Unigine 1.0 , Call of prypiat , AvP or the Froblins Demo EVEN WITH tessellation enabled ...

I'm really lost, I tried everything , changing the motherboard bios, removing 4 gb of ram (passing from 8 gb to 4 gb) , putting the ram into single channel mode, reinstalling Windows 7, flashing the VGA bios to a different one, trying different drivers versions (9.11, 10.3, 10.4a, 10.4 WHQL, 10.5 beta) ... none of these worked :(

15. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Mine also having same issue but only on trifire, crossfire works fine and this is weird...unigine 2.0, metro 2033, dirt2 crashed when tessellation enabled. however, unigine 1.0 works great on trifire with tessellation enabled. Since you've tried most of the solutions and still not gonna cut it, dont you think it might have something to do with the PSU? just a guess...

16. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    I don't think the PSU is the problem , cause I can run Furmark just fine for 20 minutes with both the cards producing heat like in the hell.

Also, if I PAUSE the camera in Unigine 2.0 with tessellation enabled I can run it for 1 hour straight without problems, but keeping tessellation on while the camera moves on the demo rails then makes the driver crash. (Seems like it goes out of video memory while loading new scene elements or something like that, because it starts stuttering just before locking up).

17. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Man, I think Ati should really do something and try to solve this problem once and for all. Oh yeah, right now you're running crossfire at x8 , x8 is it? I am thinking, do they have something to do with 8x bandwidth? Because I can run CF at 16x, 16x and no problems at all to run all DX11 games/unigine 2.0 with tessellation enabled. But then, when I ran Trifire with 16x,8x,8x , games crashed, unigine 2.0 also crashed. dont you think this could cause the problem? If there's other CF users facing similar problem maybe we can identify this by their CF setup? whether running 16x or 8x PCI-e...i really dont know for sure but this really annoys me :(.

18. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Not PSU and not PCI-e speed issue i think since you're using 1kW and your mobo support 16x,16x configuration but the problem still exist..I will try to find the solution in other forums, I believe someone experts might solved this already like a non-reference 58xx voltage control issue.

19. This is the exact issue I have. However I do have to reset my system :S, but you're right, dirt 2, stone giant, metro 2033 and the heaven benchmark 2.0 all reproduce this annoying problem. It runs fine for the first few seconds and then freeze. This is ONLY with tessellation enabled.

Its very strange because like you said AvP, call of pripyat bench, froblins demo and Heaven 1.0 work absolutely fine with tessellation enabled.

Every single one of these games that don't work with crossfire enabled work fine with crossfire disabled so it's something to do with crossfire, logically thinking?

With every driver release i'm there dowloading it and checking to see if it fixes this problem that seems to affect a lot of ATI customers. everything from 10.3,10.3a,10.4OGLmarch 29, 10.4a,10.4preview,10.4official and 10.X make no difference what so ever. Im currently just sticking to 10.4Official for thetime being.

Right now Im running my PCIE 16x 8x 8x since i put my physx card back in a week or so back but this issue has been happening for a long time so even when I was running 16x16x so that doesn't seem to be it either.

What brand cards are we running? Mine are MSI reference design 5850s.

PCGamers - since Xfire works but trifire doesn't what Brand/model is your third card? Is it different in any way from the other two?

We need to get to the bottom of this, its a DX11 feature that is (for me) the sole reason why I upgraded from my 4850Xfire so I expect my products to do what they are advertised to do. If I wanted to run DX10 I would have stayed with my perfectly fine 4850's.

C-mon ATI, throw us a bone?

20. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    I'm absolutely resolute in getting this solved too. I already filed 2 bug reports at AMD. I'm curious to see what they will say.

Anyway, I'm running 8x 8x and my cards are 2 Sapphire 5850 reference design. (So are the same cards as yours).

The strange thing is that not all the users experience this problem . If it was an easily reproduceable problem I would have cared much less, because I would have considered it just a driver/crossfire bug. But we have a situation where there are some users not having it and other users having it, and it seems that those who have it are a minority (also it seems that all the people that have the problem have a 5850 crossfire). I hope that even if we are a minority we can get this problem sorted out or I would be very disappointed by my crossfire :wanker:

Have you tried running Heaven 2.0 with tessellation enabled PAUSING the camera (pressing SPACE immediatly after the demo started)? It doesn't crash in this way on my system. It crashes only if the camera moves around. It's like if loading new scene elements make the card running out of memory or something like that.