EVGA GTX 480 Fan problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nightstorm1, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Have you tried running the card separately to see if it works OK on its own?

Have you considered uninstalling RivaTuner/EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner completely and just using your cards without them to if they aren't the cause of the problems you're having?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I think this post has made my mind up to leave my gtx 480 well enough alone until riva etc are used to it

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You've been suggested in ALL threads where you posted your problem (both here, in Guru3D and in EVGA forum) to upgrade GPU-Z to the latest version and to try to test in WITHOUT having GPU-Z running in background, as old versions of this application have know and documented issues with fan stopping on Fermi series. Slowly and once again: try to exclude GPU-Z from the tests.
    Do you prefer to keep cloning similar trheads instead of following the suggestion? Sometimes I really think that I need toadd user reading skills test in RT/Precision/Afterburner installer to keep such posters as far from support forums as it is possible.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i cant seem to duplecate this issue at all even with older gpuz(i can get it to crash with older ver.thuo.)with either of my two cards.

*edit i would have flashed to the pny bios,you did try that card by itself first right?did it have same issues?
    i have not a problem with having riva control both my fans in xp or w7 64,along with clock control with msi ab.
    i use r/t because it lets me get a full 100% fan speed when benching on air.
    its a rainy day here in n.j so i will try to get it to do the same as yours. i think i will flash to evga bios... i bet that does it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010

5. ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM

ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA-680 FTW+
    Classic moment! that made my whole day!Thanks Unwinder :whip:

6. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    Hi there Mr. Unwinder moderator sir. While sarcasm is a second language to me, English is still my first and my reading skills have been quite adequet to serve me thus far in life. I AM using the latest version of GPU-Z 0.4.2. I'm also not using it for all of my testing nor do I have it running in the background when this happens. I truly do apprecaite any help that anyone can provide, but can you blame me for posting on different forums? I have one on nVida too by the way.

I will try to be more clear on what the current problem is, it may be my fault in that what I posted was not clear.

I presently have two GTX480's. One EVGA and the other was/is a PNY. Both cards exhibit the current problem. Both cards now contain the EVGA BIOS that ends in .80.

I have removed all software and drivers from the system, cleaned the registrys, driver sweeper ect.

I have installed at present only the 197.55 drivers for Windows 7 x64 and EVGA Precision 1.9.2 from the install disk. I am using a GPU monitor gadget (third party) to monitor temps and usage on the two GPU's.

The fan speed issue seemed to resolved by using Precision's override check. They stay at a readin of 100%, (Except when and I stress WHEN I start up GPU-Z. And it is the current version 0.4.2.) This isn't directly related to the issue I'm having, at least I don't think it is, but when I DO start GPU-Z I can see within about a minute the sliders on the manual fan control move themselves to 30% and stay there). The fans of course go to 30%. I can repeat that time and again.

The current issue is, that at random, one of the GPU fans seems to stop, allowing the temp to hit 110C and lock the system. Happens at random times with no pattern. When it does happen, the fan controls reads at 100% still. I am not using GPU-Z to monitor this. I am starting to think the problem may be in the BIOS from EVGA as both cards now have that BIOS. I was smart enough to backup both BIOS images from the EVGA and the PNY cards before I flashed the PNY with the EVGA. I am considering taking one card out, flashing it with the PNY BIOS which ends in .02 btw and testing. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated as really all I want them to do is work. I'd love to be able to use MSI AB and the gpu monitor gadget, but at this point I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help.

7. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    I actually did not try testing it with the PNY card alone as once they were in SLI both cards had isuses. I cannot honestly recall if the PNY card when it had the .02 PNY BIOS ever shut the fan down. I am going to test that tonight. Run on the PNY card only and reflash it with it's BIOS. That should rule the BIOS issue out one way or another I hope. And I'll test with NO fan control software beyond the nTuner in the drivers and no GPU-Z :) Thanks for the suggestion.

8. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    have a look at all the 480 bioses here - evga appear to have a newer .82 bios, but I would be more inclined to use the generic one compiled on 2010-04-01. Good luck.

btw did u do a new windows install b4 putting the 1st 480 in? What card(s) were u using previously?

9. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    I have not *yet* wiped and reloaded. I didn't think it should be needed after cleaning everything out and doing CCLeaner and Driver sweeper. I am fast approaching that point though. I was using a BFG GTX280 with the latest drivers. No SLI. No problems either. This is frankly the worst video card expierience I've ever had. I've been with Nvidia since they absorbed 3DFx all those years ago and have been through many cards. This is just painful and it shouldn't be. I'm thinking why should I have to go back to my GTX280. If I do end up going that route, it'll be good by to NVIDIA and hello to ATI for a while I guess. I have hopes I can yet solve this. I am going to go back to the .02 BIOS and test. While on the subject, I note from the library you can download all of .BIN files that were exported from GPU-Z. How do you convert them to .ROM for NVFlash? The only two ROM files I have are the .80 and .02 I exported from my cards. I do at least have the .02 though.

10. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    course you can solve it, every pc problem can be solved, just a question of how extreme the measure to solve needs to be. In my opinion, if you have not done a new install since the 280, that's an important part of the solution. Before you reinstall windows, flash one of the 2010-04-01 bioses on the page i linked to, to both cards.

your pain has been exacerbated by splashing out $1200, which personally I could not justify to myself for a video card outlay. :O

11. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    Yea, you're right there. I really WASN"T going to buiy a second one. I wouldn't have if the first one worked without a hitch. The thought process was three fold. I could use it for troubleshooting, use it while the other was being RMA'd ect. Once I had them both back and working I could either go SLI or use one in the computer I'm going to build for my wife. I figured not a waste in either case.

I am about to use the ROM file I saved from the PNY card and flash one of them. The PNY would be the likely choice and test with it. It is the .02 BIOS that all buy EVGA cards seem to have. Thank you for the link though. On that, how does one convert the BIN files there to a ROM file the NVFlash can use?

12. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    well at least youll have absolutely mind-blowing gfx when all is well

Yes I see that

AFAIK it makes no difference whether you flash a .bin or a .rom - google "nvidia OR geforce flash bin rom" (without speech marks of course!) and see for yourself :)

edit: you may also find this page handy - the nvidia parts are down the bottom

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  13. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    Thanks for the information.

I did remove the EVGA card last night and reflashed the PNY with .02. So far so good. I've not been able to run the cards for any lenght of time since I got them over a week ago. When I got up and checked this morning Crysis was still up and running and had been for nearly 12 hours. This is VERY promising. It was also the same card that the fan had shut down on the last two times. Mind you, the other card's fan was shutting down too. If this trend continues, I will put the other card in and flash it down to .02 and see where it goes. This would suggest there is a serious problem in EVGA's .80 BIOS. IF everything works fine on the .02 BIOS.

14. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    yeah but for me, if I went from a 280 to a 480, there's no way in hell I would just uninstall the 280 driver, run driver sweeper and go ahead with the 480 and its driver. You need to get yourself a fresh win7 install.

once .02 is on both cards, copy all the files you want to keep to an external drive, make a list of your installed programs and important system settings, then NUKE your current windows i.e format and get a fresh one on there!

You should have it all done within an hour, and can then have full confidence in your new sli system. ;) And don't run Afterburner immediately - run everything at stock for the first week until youre 100% happy all is well.

15. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    That will be my next step if the BIOS changes don't resolve it. I've got a spare drive I'll restore my back up to and nuke it. So I can always go back to where I am now. I still have a backup drive with the 280 install on it. I like to have backups and options heh.

16. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    lol 1,200 was worth it lol graphic wise mayb n 480 is only x3 faster nvidia says then 280.. went from hot gpu to hotter gpu ....big gpu too huge gpu :nerd:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  17. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    ffs no need to rub salt in his wounds there fella :eyebrows:

at the end of the day, when he gets the system sorted out, it'll be one badass muthaf*cka of a setup :wanker: (though i guess he could do with a higher oc on the i7 than 3ghz, seeing as it's sli)

18. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    True that. I intend to go to an i7 980x here shortly. 920 is going into my wife's new system. I'm just getting the cards sorted first.

19. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    ok why in the world would you even bother to get this card if you play at 1680x1050 is it just me that thanks this. a 470 would have done fine and saved you money.

20. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    f*ck me, that's another grand right there :eek3: - will u get one for me while youre at it? You really are sparing no expense.

I think you'd be well advised to spend more wisely.

For example, it would be far cheaper and more beneficial to overclock an i7 quad to 4ghz, I mean where's the real payoff from 6 cores today? And don't forget Sandy Bridge will be upon us at the turn of the year.