Help With i7 Overclock - Just Some questions

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by popcorn1, Apr 22, 2010.

1. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    My i7 920 is at 3.8 ghz with 1.225v on a Rampage II Gene housed in a cube case with 4 fans, pretty good airflow for a small cube case.

Heres my first question. I failed OCCT the first time with an error on CPU #2. I failed it the second time with an error on CPU #3. What exactly does an error mean? Does that mean the CPU failed to calculate something or is it just heat related?

If I can pass Prime95 for 12 hrs without the computer shutting off, can I just ignore the OCCT failures? This CPU passed Prime95 for 24 hours with the exact same settings on a different motherboard in a case with better airflow. This newer mATX board is supposed to have better overclockability but I currently have everything housed in a mATX cube case with pretty decent airflow. I sacrificed airflow for size. Forgive me.

My second question is, can I expect the same settings to work on this new board if it worked on my old board? Both are Asus boards. Thats why Im assuming these failures are heat related. If not, what settings vary between different motherboards?

Note: I had a P6T Deluxe housed in a HAF 932 (excellent airflow). I now have a Rampage II Gene (mini Rampage II Extreme) housed in a Da Box 100 (total of 5 fans).

2. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    19x200

Idle - 46c, 43c, 46c, 43c.
    Load - 73c, 72c, 70c, 69c.

Idle in HAF 932 case - 40s
    Load in HAF 932 case - high 60s - 70

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    You should first have a temperature monitoring software installed so that you can know if it is heat related. http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    If any Max temperature is above 80 then you are in the yellow zone. Above 90 that's red zone. below 80 is the green zone.
    Just because some setting worked with a particular motherboard, it doesn't mean it will work on a different motherboard even if it is the same model. Every piece of hardware is unique and the only way is to manually test that hardware in question.

I haven't used OCCT instead I have used IntelBurnTest 2.4 @ Maximum setting for 10 iterations that I ran several times during 2 days at different ambient temperature.

Also it could be a dust build up of the fans don't have dust filters so you should clean the system.

4. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    the errors refer to minor instability. i'de slightly increase volts.

5. popcorn1

popcorn1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    stable at 3.8 ghz with 1.225v. 21x181.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010