Worth Upgrading from Phenom 1 ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Garaa, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Garaa

Garaa Active Member

GPU:
    AsusDKTOP4870 @ 815/1100
    Hey guys...

so a local pc store near my place got their hands on some hexa cores i think they are the 1055T or something its a black edition @ 2.8 ghz, i just wanted to know if a 790x-ud4p would support it since its only ddr2 capable though.. i was reading on the amd site and gegabyte site that some boards will and can support them...

heres the link http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=CPU-AMD-HDT55TFBGRBOX

gotta say for 215 canadian dollars thats cheap..

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Update your motherboards BIOS and it should say on your motherboard manufacturers website if your board supports the new CPU's. Since it only supports DDR2 I am not 100% sure if it will as I think the new chips will only support Dual DDR3 again I am not 100% sure.

As for if it will help improve, yes it will 100% improve your system. As since Phenom I the architecture has undergone some changes and many bug fixes to get the performance up on par with Intel's. However, it probably wont improve game performance that much, the higher clocks you will be able to achieve with the black edition will help. But its thing like video and picture encoding/transcoding/editing, etc, etc where it will help out big time.

3. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    just checked gigabyte and there isn't yet a bios that officially supports the hex core phenoms, but yeh would definitely be worth upgrading, I changed from the 9850 also wen I got my i7

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Here's the thing, hexacores aren't technically allowed to be sold yet. So, you can't really buy them and motherboard manufacturers tend to hold their BIOS back until the CPUs are released.

As for if it's DDR2 capable, it's like any other AM3 chip so, yes, it'll support DDR2.

deltatux

5. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I'd buy it if I were you, it's an upgrade worth paying for.

6. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  7. Ph@ntom

Ph@ntom Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 HAWK Twin Frozr
    You should see a big jump - especially anything that can fully utilize those 6 cores. Flight SimX is sucha hog for instance. Big improvement there. :)

8. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    yeh I think even before that, he'll see massive performance boosts from a much better IPC and overclockability, original phenoms sucked

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye but we can't assume that Flight Simulator X supports 6 threads. Not many gaming engine supports more than 2 threads.

deltatux

10. Titan7170

Titan7170 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290XT 4gb
    My personal opinion is, if you looking to save a few bucks and you like to overclock and tinker with the cpu....try to hold out for the 960T. Stock it is basically a 95w 4core Deneb with 2 cores shut off. Overclocking the 4 cores on this should yield an excellent result and the possability of unlocking the 2 extra cores makes it even more tempting. If its priced around or under Deneb This will prolly end up outselling the 1055T and 1090T eventually.

If those things dont matter to you then try out the 1055T (locked multi) or 1090TBE (unlocked multi)

No matter what you shuld have a huge jump in performance.