ATI FireGL/FireProSoftmod - Discussion Thread for new members

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by schoko, Jan 11, 2010.

1. artistman

artistman New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5850 1 GB
    i will try to answer your questions shortly:
    1) no - you need to wait for a firepro card that is an equivalent to your 5970. it is not announced yet. and nobody knows if it will be out someday.
    2) no, i don't think so
    3) no
    4) it would be nice

5) i think we have to wait for shoko - only he can resolve our problems

2. Teblin

Teblin New Member

GPU:
    HD5970
    Thanks artistman i think your right. actually figured out how to do the softmodding but i didnt get good results. I successfully managed to softmod the 8.72 drivers to get my HD5970 working as a FirePro V8800 but i got very poor results in specviewperf 10

HD5970@V8800 with softmodded 8.72drivers Win7 64Bit

3dsmax-04 1.42
    catia-02 1.95
    ensight-03 1.45
    proe-04 not Successful
    sw-01 2.17
    tcvis-01 0.65
    ugnx-01 not Successful

HD5970@V8800 with softmodded 8.72drivers Win7 64Bit (with 1 of the cores of the HD5970 disabled in device manager)

3dsmax-04 1.43
    catia-02 1.96
    ensight-03 1.46
    proe-04 not Successful
    sw-01 2.19
    tcvis-01 0.65
    ugnx-01 not Successful

The maya-02 bench (the one im most interested in) actually ran and alot smoother than alot of the other benchs but i never got a composite result at the end of the tests

HD5970 with latest 10.4 preview catalyst drivers

3dsmax-04 22.15
    catia-02 16.31
    ensight-03 33.44
    maya-02 34.10
    proe-04 11.94
    sw-01 28.33
    tcvis-01 8.32
    ugnx-01 14.34

I think your right because i looked up the cores that the HD5970 and the V8800 use on wikipedia and the V8800 uses a Cypress XT core and the HD5970 uses a newer Hemlock XT. The best card i can see that would mod to a V8800 is the HD5870 because thats the only raedon that uses the same cypress xt chipset. has anyone tried softmodding a 5870 yet?.

either that or im using the wrong atiogl.xml? is the atiogl.xml different from driver 8.634 to driver 8.72 because i used atiogl.xml designed for the 8.634 drivers.

One thing i did notice was the cursor would get stuck in the middle of the screen for like 30seconds maybe more once windows 7 booted into the desktop and then it would wake up. and i couldnt get extended displays on my multiple monitor only 2 of my 3 monitors would have any display and they they would only be cloned not extended.

Is it possible to run a primary card on raedon catlyst drivers for gaming (which has the monitors plugged into it) and a secondary workstation card that does opengl or 3d rendering? but displays using the main gaming adapter?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. artistman

artistman New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5850 1 GB
    @Teblin, you get poor specview results, because your graphic card is running in a safe mode.

until now nobody was able to mod a 5xxx card to a firepro. we all get the same results as from a normal radeon card. the opengl acceleration doesn't work.

some people have tried to patch a 5850, but unfortunately without success.

but shoko told something about two other files, which have also to be patched.
    i hope, that he honours us with a visit soon and explains what has to be done.

4. Teblin

Teblin New Member

GPU:
    HD5970
    I recently discovered my motherboard has onboard HD3300 Graphics and i was trying to firgure out which firegl/pro is equivalent to it i got conflicting info and am not sure if its based on a RS780 or an RV610 and i cant find a firegl/pro based on either of these is it possible there isnt 1?

5. khogan112

khogan112 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia 9600M GT 512MB
    Do not mess with IGP.

I had tried that too with IGP HD3200, the result was a disaster.

It is not supported, it never works and will not help at all.

Hope it helps.

6. Teblin

Teblin New Member

GPU:
    HD5970
    yeah kohgan i tried the HD3300 graphics as 2 different firepro/firegls that looked to be the closest equivalents and neither worked so gave up. on a side note my dad bought a hd4550 a few months ago when his last graphics card blew up and he doesnt do any gaming but he does alot of graphics. I looked upits chipset and it is RV710 according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units) the firepro 2450 is 2xRV710 but according to the AMD Device ID list (http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/PC_IDList_Oct2009.txt) the ATI FirePro 2450 is RV620 and none of the FireGL/FirePro's use RV710 i trust AMD rather than wiki :p lol

Ive compared a few of the specviewperf benchs here with benchs of the real versions of the firegl/pros and it looks like you guys are getting at least 90% of the performance of the real thing. The extra 10% maybe due to system difference between benchmarks or the fact that the you guys maybe using HD4870s and 3870s that have less ram and maybe even gddr3 instead of gddr5. Still its good considering the price differences. Please if you have posted specviewperf benchs state how much ram your raedon has and wether its gddr3 or gddr5.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  7. Teblin

Teblin New Member

GPU:
    HD5970
    I just saw specviewperf10 benchmarks of two real v8700 in crossfire they can get around 350 in maya-02 i wonder if two crossfired softmodded 4870s would scale in the same way? imagine quad crossfireing 4 softmodded 4870s-v8700 in a x58 or 790fx chipset motherboard youd probably score over 500 in maya-02!

8. phunk80

phunk80 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  9. khogan112

khogan112 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia 9600M GT 512MB
  10. Leruman

Leruman New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATI 5770 1 Gb
    Moddign 57700 to v5800

I have tried modding my Asus 5770 to Fire GL v5800 but there was no success System didn't want to recognize driver when i have tried to install it, it didn't recognize new card. I have used schoko patch for driver version 8.72 , but driver which supports v5800 is 8.723. This is probably reason why patch isn't working.

Did anyone have tried to softmod 5770, and if there was any sccess with existing script or we need to wait for updated script for new driver. I anyone can give me updated script for new version of driver I will gladly try to softmod card and share my experience.

I am using win 7 x64, I have modded earlier my old ati 3650 on win xp, so I am not without experience in procedure.

11. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    i´ve just checked the new driver 8.723.

it is basicly the same as 8.72, only the new firepro cards are supported within the driver´s installation routine. so the patchscript for the win7 driver version 8.72 is working for this one too.

concerning the missing performance for the 5xxx based cards, i think it´s the same with x1xxx and 2xxx(3xxx, and 4xxx) based cards. the routine for activating the opengl capabilities different. compared to updating the patchscript for 2xxx,3xxx and 4xxx cards, the new atikmdag.sys needs to be disassembled to generate a new patchsequence for the 5xxx series. thats a guess right now since i haven´t taken a closer look at the driver for now.

right now i don´t have much time for anything more then teaching and fulfilling my duties in my new job in the architecture department of my university. so it may very well take quite some time until i find some time to have a closer look at the new drivers.

12. Leruman

Leruman New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATI 5770 1 Gb
    Moded 5700

@schoko thank you for response, I have softmoded my 5770, but like in other cases there isn't no increase in performance.
    My earlier problem was that I didn't read to the end information how to install new card.
    Results with 8.723
    I have tried to use your moded atiogl.xml in maya 2011 x64 but when i have replaced original file, Maya didn't allow me to create any polygon, or at least it didn't show in screen after creation. Probably some new feature in maya 2011 is making problem.

As you sad probably there is new method for activation for 5xxx series pefomasces. We all will be gratefull, whenever you are able to look in new drivers and try to solve it.

13. hkt

hkt New Member

GPU:
    HD5770
    Softmodding HD5xxx graphics

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a HD5770 and softmodding it to a FirePro v5800.
    Rendering performance isn't important, what I'm after is 10bit display :)

Maybe you can quickly test this:
    To those using a modded HD5xxx card: Is there a tickbox for enabling 10-bit
    pixel format support in the Ati driver (Workstation -> Settings)? If yes, can you activate it?

Testing if it actually works is a different matter (especially because the current
    patchscripts don't seem to enable the real FirePro capabilities), but I'll risk it.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  14. Leruman

Leruman New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATI 5770 1 Gb
    I don't currently have Workstation option in control panel, i think that i have made some mistake with installing of control center.
    After this weekend I will reinstall win 7 and install modded driver on fresh installation.
    If i solve this I will gladly try that option and share results.

15. co5min

co5min New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    I too have an HD 5770 card.

I've managed to update the ".inf" file so the system now displays the card as a FireGL V5800. But that's all I did. I really have no idea about how to disassemble the kernel code and what to look for in there.

So, I too will just wait for the "master patcher" :p to nail it down...

Thanks

16. hkt

hkt New Member

GPU:
    HD5770
    schoko said, 2 files may have to be modified: C7_98297.msi,atiicdxx.dat

In the 8.723 drivers there's a file called C7_98793.msi. If you open it, almost at the end there's a list of graphics with device IDs. There it says something like 0x68A9EG Juniper v5800 (68A9 is listed in the .inf file as ID of the v5800). Maybe changing that to HD5770's ID is a step in the right direction?

17. fzhfzh

fzhfzh New Member

GPU:
    ati 1600 mobility
    Hmm. ok so with my 5870 mobility radeon, I downloaded the HP's M7820 modified fireGL driver, modified the inf file, and found that M7820 has the same device ID as 5870MR, so I just installed directly with only the inf file modified, so far it works, not sure if it's just the name that changed though.

Edit: Ok nvm didn't work, 3ds max crashed in openGL mode, maya, adobe all crashed.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  18. dr100xx

dr100xx New Member

GPU:
    ati mobility 4650 1gb
    still nothing for ati mobility 5650 ??

19. Fouinard

Fouinard New Member

GPU:
    2* Sapphire HD4850 512Mo
    My first post here just to let you know it worked perfectly on my Sapphire HD4850 512Mb softmodded to a FirePro v8700 on Win7 64bits.

I used the archive given by Veselinbg (thanks !!)

Before :
    [​IMG]

After: :banana:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again :)

20. hard-gear

hard-gear Member

GPU:
    GigaByte HD4850
    Hello,
    I'm not familiar with all these tips and tricks for driver modifications, so if any one can post a link for a modified driver and how to use it, this will be appreciated. I'm using SolidWorks my graphics card id HD4850 512MB.
    Thanks in advance.