Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by masterchiefx2, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Dog Soldiers

bought the dvd in 2007 but only watched the movie today for the first time, fecking amazing movie.

[​IMG]

10/10

edit: i own all David Lynch movies including the shorts + the Twin Peaks episodes (30), The Elephant Man always brings a tear to my eye, its not exactly my favorite Lynch movie but accessible it is, as for "The Straight Story" that's a good movie, pretty honest in its approach and the direction is simply amazing.

but my favorite Lynch movie is Lost Highway, his best work imo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    [​IMG]

The Ghost Writer

Superbly directed political thriller from Roman Polanski. Although the film is long by todays standards, the two hours and ten minutes fly past quickly as the film keeps you on the edge for the entire duration and is complimented with a very good ending. The cast is handled well and none of the actors are stretched beyond their limits with Ewan McGregor as the admirable lead. Pierce Brosnan was also excellent and I would go as far as to say it's his best performance (and film) in years, probably since Goldeneye. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Eli Wallach, who surely has to be one of the oldest working actors in Hollywood today. The film doesn't quite reach the heights of Chinatown or The Pianist but it's excellent in it's own right, Polanksi demonstrates why he's a master of the thriller genre. Seriously, go and watch this!

8.5/10

3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    No Country For Old Men.

I've been watching this again and again. This has some of the most amazing characters and acting I have ever seen.

And it's got a really cool hitman. :D

1 Million out of 10. :D

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'm so looking forwad to The Ghost Writer! Although Brosman has me sceptical, I have to say. I will be waiting for the Bluray.

I was planning to watch Kubrick's epic Spartacus tonight, but it seems I will be playing poker with the guys instead. Oh well, Spartacus will make a nice sunday matinée.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, like the look of Ghost Writer, probably a BluRay rather than cinema though, the missus thinks his only skills are bumming young girls.

Just back from Repo Men, another incredibly average movie for me to add to the huge last, had a couple of nice well choreographed bloody fight scenes, and a decent ending, but overall, very forgetable.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  7. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Agreed. Awesome movie; one of my personal favorites.

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Bought this yesterday, was 10€ on DVD.

[​IMG]

Anyone seen this one ? Planning to watch it at tomorrow evening when I have time. Seems to be quite epic according to trailer :D

9. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    It's Norwegian, right? I haven't seen it, but I will during summer vacation (have it on my digiboxi back at home xD). Should be good if you like over-the-top ***** zombie splatter action!

10. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I LOVED The Wire, it's my favorite series of all time! Thanks for the heads up, going to check Treme out.

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yeah, it's Norwegian. I missed it when it came from TV.

Over-top splatter action is good stuff :)

12. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I just watched Zombieland. I only watched it because Woody Harrelson was in it. These types of movies usually aren't my cup of tea, but I quite liked it for what it was. The Bill Murray scenes were great. It was a little too teenish for my taste at times, but that was expected obviously. All in all it was worth watching for the Murray scenes alone.

[​IMG]

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, Zombieland is pretty good, that Eisenberg boy is pretty funny, but i didn't see anything teeny about it though.

Anyone else think the carnival bit was very much like Left4Dead2?

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    never heard of Zombieland, will check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

15. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    I watched "The Squid and the Whale" the other day in the Sundance Channel and I liked it
    it has that columbus from zombieland in it

pretty good movie

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hungover today so I started with something easy; Law Abiding Citizen. Started out ok, I'm weak for revenge movies so it was pretty entertaining, and even pretty daring some places (I watched the uncut version). Foxx' character was extremely unsympathetic and without revealing too much of the plot, I can say that I cheered with Butler's character all the way. Of course, being a run of the mill Hollywood flick it chickened out in the end and to be blunt, the ending just sucked. I just wish they had shown the balls to carry out what everyone who's watched this secretly wished for. Shame, becaused if it wasn't for the extremely clichéd ending I would have given this a much better score; 6.7/10.

After this I needed something a little different, so I put on Malick's classic; Days of Heaven, the Criterion transfer. I haven't seen this before but I've heard so much about it's cinematic beauty, and wow! This just looks downright stunning... the seemlingly desolate farm in the middle of vast wheat fields is an incredible setting. There are barely any scenes shot inside and Malick uses the environment for what it's worth, with a large part of the scenes shot during dusk/dawn where the lighting makes shadows muted; a stunning visual effect. With this beautiful cinematography comes a score by no other than Morricone, and that just pretty much seals the deal for me. This is art on the big screen.

The Criterion transfer is fantastic too, but I didn't expect any less from these guys... a Bluray must-have. 8.5/10.

17. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Pontypool. If anyone is familiar with Snow Crash (the Neil Stephenson novel) they will love this. The book even makes a small cameo!

18. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Just watched Battle for Haditha via YouTube (Link: http://www.youtube.com/show/battleforhaditha) and it was actually pretty decent; how close to actual facts it was is debatable, but it's worthy of a watch if Iraq war films interest you.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I liked the ending on Law Abiding Citizen, and don't think they chickened out, as most people i know were cheering for Butler's character, so wanted it to go a certain way, so i was glad it didn't.

Watched Fantastic Mr Fox with my nephew yesterday, pretty good, especially if your a Wes Anderson fan, and a stunning looking BluRay transfer.

20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You don't think letting the "good" guy win in the most predictable way, with the ending shot of him now being a better man, going to his daughters show with his wife was a typical Hollywood cliché? I just think it would have been so much better with something a little less predictable (come on, even though we were all cheering for Butler, we also knew they would never let him win after what he had done...). The whole happy ending with family reunions oozing with morale is wearing thin on me. But each to their own. :D

Anyways, this film doesn't hold a candle to Taken, which is by far the best revenge flick to come out of the US in many years. Badassery taken to another level!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.