Crytek-Paid Demos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Ieldra, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    No offense to all you people arguing, but wasn;t this covered a few weeks ago and already debunked?

EA said they weren't going to charge for Demos.

2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Oh sure, and Obama didn't just gut NASA.

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Alright then :paranoid:

4. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I didn't play prototype. Unless you consider 20 minutes a playthrough

5. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Paid for demos; entirely retarded.

For those disputing movie trailer to game trailer comparisons, you really can't. You watch a movie trailer, and you watch a movie. You watch a game trailer, and yet you play a game, so you aren't getting the same experience. A trailer tells you nothing about how a game controls, how it runs on your PC, and plenty of other extremely important thing's that may be deciding factors between buying or passing on a game.

Cevat Yerli is officially a fanny pack collecting ass hat.

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Torrenting demo that you have to pay for is fully justified !

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye, even if they charge demos I won't pay for 'em. I don't remember the last time I even dl'd a demo.

As for citing the movie industry, you don't see them charging for trailers...

deltatux

8. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

Yeah, did not expect this from them.

But I think they are mad at customers because the first Crysis games did not meet their sales expectations. What really failed for Crytek, was that they did not realize competition is way harder after the release of current gen consoles, than it was when they released Farcry.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    This just in, the movie industry is charging five dollars for longer trailers.

10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    wouldn't surprise me if theaters started charging to be "first one" to see a long sneak preview trailer for some huge movie.

11. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting closer to a global workers revolution

12. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I think the equivalence for what he does would be like watching the first 20 minutes of Avatar, realize it sucked and then walked out. You might be able to get your money back if that happened. It'd also be like ordering something at a restaurant and realize they made it wrong or something and telling them to take it back. I've done it before and they aren't going to charge you for it.

13. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Yep, glad i started scaling back my pc habits, i'll just be a pc minimalist, i'll buy a mid range upgrade in 12 months for >$500 and kepp buying games, but only the games with no DRM, it doesn't change much, i probably only buy 5-10 games a year anyway.

I've already decided to give starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 a miss, 2 games i;ve been dying for, for years.

B-net= fail, if you the patches were still stand alone then it would be fine, but they are not.

Paid Demo's = activision- activate!, damn console owners ruining it for everyone with their gullibility

DLC= fail

Ubisoft DRM= fail

PC gaming FTL right now, and it is only going to get worse.

14. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Why is stand-alone patches such a big deal? I usually end up getting them off of b-net anyway. Only time I don't is when I'm reinstalling a game for some reason. Even then it's only cause it's a bit faster that way. Also, why you passing up Diablo 3? Is it because of the patch thing?

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    but if i pay for a demo of CRYSIS 2 for 5 dollars let say. and i decide to buy the game, it should be 45 $ instead 49..and game files would be stay and rest will be added..is this how EPISODIC gaming will be?

16. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    Did you forget the "episodic game release" scheme..? Though, I'd say that is still better than pay for demo thingy.

And Steam is generous enough to have some free gaming weekends, which is a nice little perk.

17. PerfectLifeform

PerfectLifeform Member Guru

GPU:
    4Gb 680GTX SLi 1200 Mhz
    q.f.t

18. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Restrictive DRM (which kill the second hand market and devalue our games ... and others things), paying for demos, sell demos and the rest of the game by DCL (Ubisoft), annual blockbusters of dubious quality ... but exelent marketing campaing.

the video game industry continues its inexorable path towards the destruction of what we know as art in video games to become a McDonald's electronic entertainment.

How sad.

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Well said bro.

DLC and current marketing sucks horribly.

The "art thing" is of the past :(

20. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    well if it was a $1 disk at the store shelf or online store, I wouldnt mind. Good way to waste a rainy day. If its going to cost more than a movie rental, then no thanks.