Next Generation of Console

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by azri, Apr 10, 2010.

1. azri

azri Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX260 SP-216 OC
    What do you think of this? Any news about ps4 or the xbox 720? I know current consoles today is still capable of running current games without a problem. but when should we expect the next gen consoles?

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I would say not for some time, the PS3 is just hitting 3 years in the EU/UK and 4 years this November for NA, the 360 will hit 5 years old this October worldwide, and the Wii will hit 4 years old this November, but you never know whats round the corner, but i cant see any of the three releasing anything new real soon.

3. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    I read from a microsoft source that the US would be getting the Xbox 720 in december 2010 and UK (europe) 2011.

4. azri

azri Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX260 SP-216 OC
    really? I though project natal will hit this december? its still a xbox360

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    i doubt there will be any new consoles for another 3 years minimum. The reason is there is absolutely no need for a refresh, the current ones are quite capible and console manufacturers lost money on every console sold at the start and im sure in the current climate neither M$ not Sony will want to lost money

My bet is on M$ releasing one first though :)

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I could be wrong but i think that the new gen of consoles will be basically a PC with a custom case to differentiate between the Xbox and the PS3. They will probably have a cheap quad core and a dx11 or d12 GPU, to provide quality full HD for every game, with hard drives with huge capacities to facilitate downloads from Live and PSN.

More 2 or 3 years to discover.

7. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Wish they would release new consoles but I know that wont happen anytime soon. The current ones are starting to look weak compared to pc games. One of the example is BC2 on ps3. Because of low fps it sucks compared to PC version.

8. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    my guess is microsofts next console will be natal released this year or next. maybe a slight upgrade in hardware over the current 360. ps4 i think will be in 2013.

9. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    Rumor has it that they want the console to last about 10 years before the next gen comes out. Personally I think it would be cool if you could just upgrade parts like a PC, nothing major just Hard Drive, CD drive

10. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    ^
    I thought you could do that already :p
    or do like the N64/Saturn... but addable RAM... or like they wanted to do in the PSX for tekken 3... CO-CPU/GPU module... or was it just ram too...? don't remember the hype

11. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Isn't that basically what they are now ?

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    you can upgrade hard drives easy. I put a 360gig 7200 rpm in my PS3. I read that SSD also works.
    I think a mainboard swap would be cool, but their case designs wouldbt beable to handle any more heat thats for sure. Maybe they should offer a "Core" upgrade, just the console itself, no wires...etc, BUT games would have to support both new and old hardware.

I suspect next gen will have more media and wireless options, like Tivo and slingbox stuff. some relation to cell phones and other wireless devices, maybe anti theft? Biometrics?

Nintendo has proved that you don't need high heat, powerful hardware to make tons of money...so that may work against us and they make less powerful, cheaper consoles next time.

13. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Whatever they do next i really hope they also provide emulators so you can play old titles.

Really would love to play '24 the game' on the PS, but the PS3 doesn't work with PS2 titles or does it?

14. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    If that's the name of Natal, sure. Otherwise, I wouldn't expecting anything before the second half of 2012.

15. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Problem with emulation is how hard it is to simulate actual timings in software. I've looked at some of the source for PCSX2 (the PS2 emulator), and the majority of the backbone is getting the timings between the CPU/GPU correct, nevermind actually RENDERING the image to the screen...

Then of course comes intercepting low-level BIOS calls, having the interpretation layer to make the SW code from the emulated system match the calls the new system uses, etc. Its not easy.

The PS3 used to include both the PS2 CPU/GPU, but was simply too expensive to keep in refrehses.

16. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Yay...more DX9 ports to the PC!

17. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Sony Gives a 10 year life-cycle for all of its products including the PS3.
    So i would guess the PS3 still has 6 more years to go or maybe more.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Like Sony promises means anything? Companies say crap all the time and turn around. Once a day at least. No doubt if MS announced one today, Sony would be right on it as well, but i think they are both waiting for the markets to change since thats what they base a new product release on.

Have to figure into account also the general public's acceptance. Gamers already have lots of $$$ invested in PS3 or 360 if not both. Economy still sucks too, so no mommy/daddy budgets for their kids begging.
    To most general public, current consoles are fine to them, not easy to suddenly shift into spending $500 plus accessories and games all over again. Its not like it used to be.

Unless some other company pulls a "Dreamcast" "turbo grafix 16" "3DO" type manuever, pushing into a market a huge risk at the hopes of gamers latching onto in the middle of console releases gathering gamers who are tired of current stuff. highly unlikely but i bet Apple could pull one off on name alone. Heck if ipad can sell, they can sell anything to anyone if they actually made an affordable high end product.

IBM cancelled any further Cell architectures, so obviously Sony cannot nor will not use a similar CPU that could maybe play older ones as easily....so can you imagine how hard it would be to emulate the Cell CPU with any other type of CPU? Its a very radical departure in how it works compared with typical PPC Cpu's. I'm also guessing cost wise, it would be too expensive to include Cell's in future consoles though IBM said they will keep manufacturing them for Sony.

I hope they make for more console pricing/features options next time.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Natal will fail, PS3 move will fail. Next consoles will be out by 2013 at the latest. We will start hearing about them in 2011. Also my money is on Nintendo releasing a Wii HD by the end of the year to try and counter Move and Natal.

20. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    The cell processor was a fail, i would be surprised if Sony decided to use anything like that again. It's useful in so few scenarios, i can't quite understand why they used it in the first place.

oh, and Sony, fit a DECENT gpu next time!