5 Days 'till D-Day...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Corndog, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    You're probably asking 5 days until what?
    Well,.... for me it's 5 days until I leave for Navy basic training. I know it shouldn't be a huge deal, but for me it is. As the days roll by my stomach seems to churn more and more. The butterflies are throwing a party in there. I know I should be alright, but just the thought of me signing my life away kind of scares me, ya know?

But I gotta do this. - That is the thought I try and keep, but then rationality kicks in and then it's "Am I really about to do this?" I guess it's pretty much the same feeling when you're about to face any fear, but for some reason this time around it seems amplified.

Heh... And then theres the fact that my big 30th will be in boot camp. You don't suppose they'll throw me a party, do you? x]
    Another thing I have mixed feelings about is the fact that right after basic I'll have to go to training for two years. Two straight years of nothing but school... bleh...

I guess good things require sacrifices. Another thing I'm not too sure of is how I'm going to handle not being able to visit this site everyday like how I have been for yeeaars. I know. I'm an addict. Can't help it though. This is my favorite site. So many funny and awesome people here. ;)
    Anyway mates, please wish me well and any encouraging words are appreciated!
    ~Peace!

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Good luck with your chosen career. You can always pop back in here from time to time and let us know how your getting on.:D

Thanks for joining the fight to defend the free world from those that would seek to destroy all that we are.:thumbup:

3. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    gl dude.

p.s. its fun.

4. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
    striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
    hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
    In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
    other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
    machine, the elimination of ***** tyranny over the oppressed peoples of
    Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well
    equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the ***** triumphs of
    1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,
    in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their
    strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home
    Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions
    of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.
    The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to
    Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in
    battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great
    and noble undertaking.

Oh, wrong D Day......

good luck and God bless you

5. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    Btw, is it a Navy as of being on the ship, or Navy as of Marine/etc/etc.

Sorry not familiar with US structure. Oh, and if it is some sort of combatant training, remember to exercise on your own as well, during holidays/whatever.

6. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    OP, you'll do just fine. :)

7. racingx

racingx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070
    I joined the Navy in 1995 and served 8 years. It was the best choice I ever made in my life. You will make many great friends and visit many interesting places so have fun. BTW in Boot Camp keep your mouth shut and breathe through your nose and you will do just fine.

8. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Good luck and have fun, Corndog. :D

For the first couple of weeks pretend you don't speak English. It'll be funny.

9. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies :)

Hallryu: Yeah, I'm going to definately try to visit the forums whenever I get the chance. Probably sometime during A school. But since I'm not combat related, I doubt I'll have any cool stories x]

Palerider: Thanks man! At first I was like "what the hell is this guy typing?" and then I lol'd...

Abrams: It's Navy as in ships. Like the kind I'm going to get sea sick and throw up my innards on for a few weeks at a time. Can't wait for that :puke2:

racingx: Ya know, I hear that from a lot of people. I just hope I'll love it as much as you and the others I've spoke with. I want to travel to different parts of the world so maybe it will be great (minus the ride on the ship, of course). Also, no offense to people out there, but being from America I can definately benefit from experiencing different cultures x)

inklimited: lol..... Maybe I should haha. My father did that when he was in the Army! Except, he really couldn't speak any English. LOL... :D

Anyway, I thought I was leaving home Tuesday, but during DEP PT today I found out I will be leaving my house on Monday for the hotel. I should have figured that... duh! Which technically gives me 4 days..... and in 7 minutes 3 days..... holy crap....wahhh!

10. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    Good luck dude with your career and stay safe.If you get motion sickness i'd try motion sickness pills that they sell in stores.

11. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    I wouldnt do that, Just get your see legs by yourself:)

12. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    Tell the ship to stop moving! :)

13. Boemlauwe_Bas

Boemlauwe_Bas Member

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    As FPS doug ones said, the joining the army/navy is just like gaming, but better graphics.
    Spawning can be tricky though, just be sure you are on the side with the bigger guns.

14. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Wow, looks like lots of Guru members are joining the army!! :D
    Good luck comrade

15. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5

Yeah, dont forget the RPG element, you know, courses/specializations..

Oh and special abilities like smoking a cig without anyone to see a light(anyone who ever had an M4/AR15 should know that trick)

16. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Well I guess it's time for this computer to be shut down, offline and be taken apart for storage. Makes me kind of sad. It's never been shut off for more than a couple days (when I would go off to vacation and crap - and that would be rare). For me it's kind of weird because this machine has been sort of like an extention of me for as long as I have had it (4+ years).

And the next time I sign on it may be with a different machine :eek:
    Forgive me if I'm being a lil' weird cause I am so damn drunk. :D
    Last time I got to party for a looonngg time.

It's only because even during schooling I don't plan on drinking or anything and it's the last time I got to hang out with my buddies for atleast a year. I need to stay focused and do the best I can and not slack off ya know? - once I get started it's hard to get myself to stop.

Anyway, thanks all you guys for all the support, the positive messages and tips. I'm actually surprised this thread survived for as long as it has. I thought it would have been forgotten within a day or two ;p
    So everyone take care, and I'll see you guys when I get a chance - whenever that may be.
    Peace,
    Corndog AKA GeneralJoint

17. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Well, four years and three months later, here I still am guys! Alive lol...I've logged in here and there said a few things, but I never came back to tell you guys how it's all been. It's been quite a ride. I never realized that Navy life would be so tough. Being away often out at sea, all the training and grueling exercises. So much goes on.
    I didn't know this before I left, but it turns out that I am actually part of combat. I ended up becoming a Fire Controlman. Aegis type, Fire Control radar/electronics to be exact.
    I decided to read through my old posts for some reason and I stumbled upon this thread. It made me remember all the awesome people in this forum -and most of ya'll are still here :D I really appreciated all the kind, encouraging words from you guys in this thread before I left and just wanted to say thanks!
    I never have time to game since I have other things that take up all my time, therefor I am never have a legitimate reason to post here in the forums. But I do lurk as I always have lol I hope I can soon be in a situation where I can build a new system so I can come back and ask tons of stupid questions xD
    Until then-

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hey Corndog ! Good to hear from you man. Though hard and harsh, it is nice to see all worked out well for you. Dang - four years already.

19. Aguru3dlurker

Aguru3dlurker Guest

GPU:
    2gb
    Congratulations for making it through Corndog.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  20. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Hey Hilbert! Thanks for the warm welcome back. This place always felt like home to me. Yeah, four years did fly by, didn't it? And thank you, Aguru3dlurker.
    While it was arduous, I did make it. Well, kind of. I still have a a year and nine months remaining on my contract, ten of those months being on deployment (ugh)
    And from then on, I'll be free haha.